sick boss momma

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My Angus herd boss, who is only 5 years old, and generally very active and agressive was walking around last night looking like a "boner" at the auction. Her hips were bent down at the waist as if she had a stomach ache but she was eating as she strolled gingerly thru the pasture. I had just brought the herd up from a newly fenced pasture after a week of grazing it. I discussed the situation with a neighbor and he said she might have picked up some "hardware". Any other thoughts on what it might be and if it is hardware how long until I toss a magnet down her belly (which I have never done and don't have a clue how to proceed)

[email protected]

Generally, a cow with hardware usually humps their back UP. If she has never been given a magnet, you can give her one right away just for safety. Some people automatically give all their cattle a magnet. You use a bolus gun, we usually put a little hay in with the magnet because it is slightly smaller than a bolus and it can slip out before you are ready. Just insert in cow same as a bolus. But, dipping her hips down, does sounds like she's in pain. I would call a vet - could be twisted gut or a number of things. He will advise about the magnet. Jeanne

> My Angus herd boss, who is only 5
> years old, and generally very
> active and agressive was walking
> around last night looking like a
> "boner" at the auction.
> Her hips were bent down at the
> waist as if she had a stomach ache
> but she was eating as she strolled
> gingerly thru the pasture. I had
> just brought the herd up from a
> newly fenced pasture after a week
> of grazing it. I discussed the
> situation with a neighbor and he
> said she might have picked up some
> "hardware". Any other
> thoughts on what it might be and
> if it is hardware how long until I
> toss a magnet down her belly
> (which I have never done and don't
> have a clue how to proceed)

[email protected]

> Generally, a cow with hardware
> usually humps their back UP. If
> she has never been given a magnet,
> you can give her one right away
> just for safety. Some people
> automatically give all their
> cattle a magnet. You use a bolus
> gun, we usually put a little hay
> in with the magnet because it is
> slightly smaller than a bolus and
> it can slip out before you are
> ready. Just insert in cow same as
> a bolus. But, dipping her hips
> down, does sounds like she's in
> pain. I would call a vet - could
> be twisted gut or a number of
> things. He will advise about the
> magnet. Jeanne Thanks, Jeanne. I would say her back is arched up thus causing her hips to appear down. But back to the magnet, do you just leave it there as a resident of the first stomach or will she ending up passing it.

[email protected]

The magnet will be there till it is removed if you use the good stainless ones. The cheap laminated iron and plastic ones will rot away in a couple of years. The stainless ones can be cleaned up when the cow is butchered and put in another cow. The magnet is no silver bullet for a cow that has wired. If the damage has already occured there isn;t much that can be done, if it is still in the irritating stage a magnet will help.

dunmovin farms

Latest posts