sick 2 yr old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

diamondcranch

Reaction score
My husband and I are ranchers in central bc (cow/calf operation and reg. simmentals). We've got a heifer that has been acting weird for a couple of weeks now -- standing around kind of humped up, slobbering quite a bit, coughing. So we figured we'd try a magnet in case she had hardware disease. That didn't seem to do anything. Then we gave her a shot of Liquamycin LA and another 3 days later. Doesn't seem to help. On top of that, after her first shot of LA, she aborted her calf the next day. Yesteday was her second treatment of LA and still no sign of improvement. She eats, albeit without enthusiam, and drinks but just seems off somehow. Any suggestions? What are symptoms of iteme?

I think it is safe to assume that the LA did not cause the abortion. As far as suggestions, I would suggest you call your vet, and soon. I am not being faticious ~ that is just as good advice as I can give you. Good luck with her.

ITEME sounds as though it first presents in the eye as lesions (?).
http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd? ... cephalitis
An acute septicaemic disease of cattle caused by the bacterium Haemophilus somnus and characterised by fever, severe depression, ataxia, blindness, coma, and rapid death.

Latest posts