Shrooms and Chard......

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
A T Bone and a Tater.
That's what I had for supper.
Wild shrooms fried in butter, steamed chard, grilled steak and grilled tater with onion and butter.
All the while having ice cold Summit Extra Pale Ale. :D :D :D
Bet no one can beat that.

mnmtranching":3nebqxsv said:
A T Bone and a Tater.
That's what I had for supper.
Wild shrooms fried in butter, steamed chard, grilled steak and grilled tater with onion and butter.
All the while having ice cold Summit Extra Pale Ale. :D :D :D
Bet no one can beat that.

O.k. mnm, what's a "chard"? Is it related to lutefisk, pickled herring or that warm syrup beer ya'll have up there? :D

I think he's referring to Swiss Chard which is a green, like kale, collards, mustard greens, etc. We have an allegedly organic place nearby that grows the stuff in winter.

BeefmasterB":1f1ox8rl said:
Thanks! I looked it up and it's related to spinach and beets. What's it taste like?

I think they taste like @$$ :p :lol: . Hubby and I planted it two years ago and it came up beautiful, but try as we might, just couldn't find a way to fix it that was any good. Collards are good, got a great recipe for that. Even my son-in-law liked them and he never ate them before.

knowknews":1czjjq02 said:
BeefmasterB":1czjjq02 said:
Thanks! I looked it up and it's related to spinach and beets. What's it taste like?

I think they taste like @$$ :p :lol: . Hubby and I planted it two years ago and it came up beautiful, but try as we might, just couldn't find a way to fix it that was any good. Collards are good, got a great recipe for that. Even my son-in-law liked them and he never ate them before.

I certainly appreciate your candor :lol2: :nod: . I'll try anything once. Maybe dress it up with bacon and onions?

I certainly appreciate your candor . Sorry!! My daughter is rubbing off on me. :oops:

I'll try anything once. Maybe dress it up with bacon and onions?
Good luck with that. LOL

I'm with you kk. That stuff is poison, and no where near as good as lutefisk or herring. I bought it for the guinea pig to eat, and in the spirit of "I'll try anything once" I tried it. :eek: :cry2: The rest of the supper sounds fantastic. For someone who was " :cry2: " about not getting an invitation to hd's doings, I will have to say I don't remember getting an invite for T-Bone steak and all the rest. Sheesh.

mnmt ~ where are you finding wild mushroom this time of year? You are picking the capped ones that grow in the pastures? or you are eating puff balls?

BeefmasterB":2k90r8ss said:

Just like most things if you know how to prepare it it's very good. If you have the really large stalks and leaves you need to cook them separately.

Stalks;........ cut them off clean them and boil them until they are tender(not very long) Then while still damp from the boiling, roll them in flour and fry them in olive oil and butter 50/50. Salt pepper and eat em. They can be just little bitter but that's not a bad thing.

Leaves;......... wash them to remove any sand or dirt, and coarsely chop. Set aside---Take a very large skillet and brown 1/2 lb of hot bulk Italian sausage not just cooked, but browned. Then remove the sausage drain off most of the sausage oil deglaze the pan with a little white wine and add some olive oil, throw the chopped chard leaves in the pan( you should have enuf to overflow the pan. Put the lid on tight and cook them down well. When they are tender and well cooked add the sausage back in and mix well, turn them out on a platter and sprinkle with a little freshly grated parm or romano cheese.

Buon apetito!

3waycross":1vy44dew said:
BeefmasterB":1vy44dew said:

Just like most things if you know how to prepare it it's very good. If you have the really large stalks and leaves you need to cook them separately.

Stalks;........ cut them off clean them and boil them until they are tender(not very long) Then while still damp from the boiling, roll them in flour and fry them in olive oil and butter 50/50. Salt pepper and eat em. They can be just little bitter but that's not a bad thing.

Leaves;......... wash them to remove any sand or dirt, and coarsely chop. Set aside---Take a very large skillet and brown 1/2 lb of hot bulk Italian sausage not just cooked, but browned. Then remove the sausage drain off most of the sausage oil deglaze the pan with a little white wine and add some olive oil, throw the chopped chard leaves in the pan( you should have enuf to overflow the pan. Put the lid on tight and cook them down well. When they are tender and well cooked add the sausage back in and mix well, turn them out on a platter and sprinkle with a little freshly grated parm or romano cheese.

Buon apetito!

Hey! Now that sounds workable and good! "deglaze the pan"? Your waay ahead of me on the culinary skills list but I'm willing to give that whirl too and maybe have a glass of that wine on the side :nod: . I gather that toning down the bitterness of the chard is somewhat like toning down the heat of jalepenos by adding the right ingredients. May have to find a southern mermaid with a sultry drawl to try this out on first!! The facial expressions will tell me what I need to know. :lol2:

Deglaze a fancy chef word for pour a little wine in the pan and let it dissolve all the good stuf so that it can infuse it's flavor into whatever you are about to add next.
(don't forget to make sure all the good stuf is well dissolved in the wine before you add the next ingrediant)
Enjoy!

Chard is very good :eek: Boiled down with butter and salt works for me. Best is like TxB does, works good with bacon to.
Angie,The shrooms grow in the pasture. Small, a ping pong ball size is a trophy class. The window of opportunity for these shrooms closes quickly. Tried for another batch after the rain yesterday. Lots there, squeeze them and they pop the crappiest green stuff you've ever seen. You have to use ONLY the ones pearl white and firm inside. They go bad within 24 hours. You get these shrooms right and their better then Morels could ever be. :nod: I don't have nerve to try the capped ones and nothing with gills for me.
Probably go great with Lutefisk too. And OH :eek: I thought you were in Canada? :drink:

3way DANG :help: I've been throwing the stalks away. :cry2: :cry2:

mnmtranching":1aelrcjq said:
Chard is very good :eek: Boiled down with butter and salt works for me. Best is like TxB does, works good with bacon to.
Angie,The shrooms grow in the pasture. Small, a ping pong ball size is a trophy class. The window of opportunity for these shrooms closes quickly. Tried for another batch after the rain yesterday. Lots there, squeeze them and they pop the crappiest green stuff you've ever seen. You have to use ONLY the ones pearl white and firm inside. They go bad within 24 hours. You get these shrooms right and their better then Morels could ever be. :nod: I don't have nerve to try the capped ones and nothing with gills for me.
Probably go great with Lutefisk too. And OH :eek: I thought you were in Canada? :drink:
I remember you talking about these last year, and I looked often for them w/o any success. Now and again I see them, but not until after it is too late. The green stuff? At least it doesn't smell, so they are cool for the kids to play with.

The capped ones are good enough. I know what you mean about being afraid to eat them. I was too, so I fed them to my family first and waited a bit. :lol2: My littlest 2 and I can go out with an ice cream bucket and get more than enough for supper in no time. They are in the fall though.

Canada was great!! Brought you and BL a plate full of goodies back........but someone ate it on the way home :roll: (MM :secret: ).

angie":2pcv6wv2 said:
mnmtranching":2pcv6wv2 said:
I remember you talking about these last year, and I looked often for them w/o any success. Now and again I see them, but not until after it is too late. The green stuff? At least it doesn't smell, so they are cool for the kids to play with.

The capped ones are good enough. I know what you mean about being afraid to eat them. I was too, so I fed them to my family first and waited a bit. :lol2: My littlest 2 and I can go out with an ice cream bucket and get more than enough for supper in no time. They are in the fall though.

Canada was great!! Brought you and BL a plate full of goodies back........but someone ate it on the way home :roll: (MM :secret: ).

Darn Angie, I didn't get any pics of you and MM working your butts off in the kitchen, thanks for all of your help .I didn't know how we would get all that gravy made. I am so glad you decided to double the pan at the last minute as what disaster that would have been , the huge hole that was underneath when we pored the gravy into the chafing dish,,,,,lucky I listened to you.. :nod: Glad you and MM liked the lutefisk cabbage rolls I sent with you two for the ride home. :wave:

hillsdown":91xq02y3 said:
Darn Angie, I didn't get any pics of you and MM working your butts off in the kitchen, thanks for all of your help .I didn't know how we would get all that gravy made. I am so glad you decided to double the pan at the last minute as what disaster that would have been , the huge hole that was underneath when we pored the gravy into the chafing dish,,,,,lucky I listened to you.. :nod: Glad you and MM liked the lutefisk cabbage rolls I sent with you two for the ride home. :wave:
Don't worry about no pics, MM and I are kinda stealth like that.
You liked that idea I had then ~ yes? I am somewhat clever/fast thinking etc. :nod: :idea:
And who can resist a good cabbage roll with lutefisk? Too bad uknowho ate them all....

I am more than glad you and yours had a great time!! I saw the pics ~ you look wonderful! Lots of food and lots of friends and family. Good work hd, I knew you could pull it off. :nod:

HD did send me an invitation and directions. :nod: BL had to work but I took off. The directions led me right into this correctional facility. :shock: :help: I guess HD must have meant go East instead of North or box number 7 instead of 377. Easy mistakes to make. :compute: Any way I pull in there and 3-4 guys/ladies dressed in red came running out with their breath-A-lizers. :drink: Oh yeah I was good. I was saving my thirst for Molsons on HD.
Those Mountie guys and gals were nice tho. They gave me the shortest direction back to the states. :cowboy:
I imagine with Angie and MM that lutefisk treat didn't make it past HD's mailbox. :roll:

MNM that is because you were supposed to turn east at the Bowden penitentiary, not west, which is what led you right to it. You think all the chain link fencing with the barb wire on top as well as the lookout stations with armed officers in them would have been a hint.. :cowboy:

hillsdown":kwqjwzwt said:
MNM that is because you were supposed to turn east at the Bowden penitentiary, not west, which is what led you right to it. You think all the chain link fencing with the barb wire on top as well as the lookout stations with armed officers in them would have been a hint.. :cowboy:

Ahh :nod: Bowden that was the place. Sure I saw the high fence. Sure enough the armed oscarfers. Trouble is, I was watching for COWS. When I'm doing that :oops: I tend to miss some important parts of the directions. :?

Latest posts