Showmanship

Help Support CattleToday:

kissy

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys! I'm going to do as most of you recomend, shorten the lead! I never did like letting it touch the ground (you'd NEVER do that showing horses like i've done most of my life!), but i did what i thought i'd seen a lot of American / Canadians do showing beef cattle. But after studying more pictures i have seen that the end of the lead is actualy a little bit above the ground. So thanks so much for your help!

Hi from Sweden! Can you help me? Which is right when setting up for the judge? End of lead on ground (As i've seen in lots of pictures from shows in both Canadian and American Hereford journals) or should i make a medium size loop with the lead so it doesn't touch the ground? When i lead the animal, i have a loop of about 30cm so that i don't have the end of the lead around my legs. I have a usual leather show halter - made in the USA.

All replies are gratefully recieved!
Thanks for the replies so far! (But i do not mean that i wrap the lead around my hand. I have a big loop and my hand is on top of the loop with little finger closest to the animals head.) I think i'm going to find a shorter lead for next time so i don't need any loops! It looks too buldgy if you know what i mean!

When setting up the animal, I usually let it hang. However, I usually have the lead short enough that it is not touching the ground. That way you do not have too much in your hand, and you do not have to worry you, or your animal, stepping on it.

I don't mind folding the lead. I just recommend folding it in half, versus looping it around your hand. It is a lot safer that way.

Ryan

Don't EVER loop around your hand.

If ti's too long, either fold it, or I cut the lead so it is an appropriate length to let hang. Don't ever let it hang on the ground.

All of our show halter leads are no longer than 1 ft. long. They arent even long enough to swing around. thats how we like them .. When we buy a new halter, the first thing we do is cut the excess off.

all of my show leads have been cut. they might be about 2 foot long. dont ever loop the lead aroud your hand. they'll knock you for this. and i dont like to hold the lead with 2 hands but for a little kid it's ok.

Don't loop it around your hand. It depends what type you are showing-dairy or beef, usually with beef they like you to let it hang, but not touching the ground, just cut it to a point where you can still hang onto it comfortably but it isn't hanging dangerously low where you could trip. Its OK to cut your leather halter, just do it with a sharp utility knife. If you are showing dairy, most judges like it folded and placed in your hand.

Snider_Angus":3n864z67 said:
All of our show halter leads are no longer than 1 ft. long. They arent even long enough to swing around. thats how we like them .. When we buy a new halter, the first thing we do is cut the excess off.
We do the exact same thing!!! ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

A show halter should never hit the ground, if you plan on placing in any showman ship class. Any good shawman or showgal i have ever seen never keeps it long enough to touch the ground. If it is long enough to touch the ground it becomes a hazard to your steer and you during the show. It also deducts points from your score. Judges dont think of it as apealing. Just like durty clothes.

Latest posts