Showing Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
I was reading back on another forum and someone said that adults can show calves, steers, etc. Is this true and if so how does it work and where and how can you get started?????????

Thanks

Definantly true. Adults show in the Open division. Usually each breed will have its own Open show at fairs and stock shows. Then they might also have Open shows on their own, outside the fairs and stock shows. Its really good stuff. Lots of fun.

You would have to check with your local fairs to see if they have open classes. Our county fair has an open steer and breeding show. I know other fairs through out ths state don't have these kinds of classes. State breed assocations have open class shows at the state fairs.

Absolutely adults can show. Not steers, however. Breeding stock, in registered shows or classes. All the Texas "Majors" offer open shows. Ft. Worth, San Antonio and Houston. Then some of the fairs also offer open classes... East Texas, H.O.T. Fair, and State Fair of Texas.

Depends on what breed you have as well. Check with your Texas breed organization, and they can tell you what shows offer open classes.

Get involved.. it is a BLAST!

TheBullLady":288amhmt said:
Absolutely adults can show. Not steers, however. Breeding stock, in registered shows or classes. All the Texas "Majors" offer open shows. Ft. Worth, San Antonio and Houston. Then some of the fairs also offer open classes... East Texas, H.O.T. Fair, and State Fair of Texas.

Depends on what breed you have as well. Check with your Texas breed organization, and they can tell you what shows offer open classes.

Get involved.. it is a BLAST!

Why not steers?

Most Open Shows are for breeding stock, usually registered. Steers don't really fall into the categorie of breeding stock. Plus, as far as I know there aren't many auctions after Open Shows, so I dont see why an individual would develop and haul a steer around when it will go in his/her own freezer or across the scales.

I guess things are a bit different up here. We have the Breeding Stock Open classes at most of our fairs, but they also have steer classes.. i think there was only 2 steers at our last show, as most wait until the spring.

I know of 3 really large Show and Sales around here. They show on one day, 4H and Open and then auction them off the next day. I think they had close to 75 animals last year.. which for this area is a really good amount.

Ryan":15vwmb4g said:
Most Open Shows are for breeding stock, usually registered. Steers don't really fall into the categorie of breeding stock. Plus, as far as I know there aren't many auctions after Open Shows, so I dont see why an individual would develop and haul a steer around when it will go in his/her own freezer or across the scales.

I was confused because we show steers in the open show here also... I guess its just different depending on where you are.

Wisteria,

ADULTS can show steers in Illinois? :roll: I lived in Illinois up until 15 years ago, and I've never seen an adult steer show.

As mentioned by someone else, open shows are open to any age showman... but it's for purebred cattle or breeding stock, so they don't offer steer classes. The only steers I've ever seen shown anywhere have been the juniors.