Showing her age

Help Support CattleToday:

A cow like this that has such a long productive life is one that carries a very useful trait worthy of selection for future herd replacements. Anyway my question is this, "Since long productive life and early maturing are both traits that reduce costs for the operation, are these traits antagonistic or does one have no affect on the other?

J+

dun":1q3v757t said:
Chuckie":1q3v757t said:
She still looks good. Take a picture of her when she gets shed off this summer. I bet she will look fat and sassy again.
Chuckie
With her teeth I don;t think she'll ever look fat again, sassy yes, but not fat.
dun-

Bless her old heart! Take a few extra minutes this winter and warm her water every day! You may be surprised how that will help her winter with bad teeth. I hope you get a heifer this next time. And I agree that flushing her would probably pay you dividends! Give her a couple of pats on the rump for me!

DOC HARRIS

looks good and still giving you a good calf. how did her one heifer turn out? donna

donnaIL":2otavpgp said:
looks good and still giving you a good calf. how did her one heifer turn out? donna

Her one heifer was great and raised exceptional calves with way above average carcass'. The sad part is that at 5 years old she prolapsed and is now raising her final calf.

dun":3mzoml4y said:
donnaIL":3mzoml4y said:

Her one heifer was great and raised exceptional calves with way above average carcass'. The sad part is that at 5 years old she prolapsed and is now raising her final calf.

sorry about that for you. we have a cow that we always wanted a heifer from (Lucy).. 5 bull calves, gonna have another real soon. Kept her bull calf a few years ago and he gave us lots of heifers, hope they are as good as her, will be breding the first bunch this year...and her bull brought top $ at the sale barn. Maybe she was suppose to give you a *bull*. donna

Good looking granny! Thats a great cow, we had a brangus like that we just let die on the farm even then she had just weaned a nice bull calf. That calf brought top dollar still.

dun":991d3c74 said:
Aero":991d3c74 said:
dun,
how much would you say she weighed for most of her productive life? the one picture makes her look like a toad or a pig.

She is a FS 5 and weighed in the 1400 lb range till last year, now she's running aorund 1100. She can baerly squeeze hir hooks through the entrance to the chute, she's a real widebody.

I thought the hooks looked prominent in the photos but put it off to camera angle, I guess the width explains it. Do you have a pelvic score on her dun?

Very nice udder, nice cow. Too bad the poor little calf isn't black. :cry2:

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts