Showing her age

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Ol Granny is 18 this year, her calf was born 3/21/08. She's smooth and solid. Still has all of her teeth but they're worn smooth with the gums.

Well dun she ain't the prettiest girl in the nighborhood I'm sure but apparently darned productive and a survivor. Good looking calf too.

Granny looks good for her age and is still making money for you, is this her 15th calf? Do you plan on breeding her back for another year?

Alan

Alan":2vghzqbh said:
Granny looks good for her age and is still making money for you, is this her 15th calf? Do you plan on breeding her back for another year?

Alan

As long as she'll have them we'll keep breeding her. She's only ever had one heifer and I hope every year for another.
This was her a couple of years ago, pictures are from different years. The latest of them is 2005.

dun":2sxlntdv said:
Ol Granny is 18 this year, her calf was born 3/21/08. She's smooth and solid. Still has all of her teeth but they're worn smooth with the gums.
i got one that turned 18 this month.... sure is hard to turn em loose when they drag a baby up every spring like clockwork and stay in condition

dun,
how much would you say she weighed for most of her productive life? the one picture makes her look like a toad or a pig.

with longevity like this she is probably the one cow you should flush.

:clap: GO GRANNY GO!!! :clap: What a lovely cow, the years have been kind to her.
She is still a pretty girl! :heart:

old granny is a nice looking cow.you can tell she holds her age well.an that she is a calf raiser.your smart in keeping her till she cant breed.

Life would be alot easier if all the cows were like granny. Way to go.

Aero":xp82n8qb said:
dun,
how much would you say she weighed for most of her productive life? the one picture makes her look like a toad or a pig.

She is a FS 5 and weighed in the 1400 lb range till last year, now she's running aorund 1100. She can baerly squeeze hir hooks through the entrance to the chute, she's a real widebody.

weight loss due to age? or did the 2 of you start a new workout program? :help:

Chuckie":16vb4qsa said:
She still looks good. Take a picture of her when she gets shed off this summer. I bet she will look fat and sassy again.
Chuckie
With her teeth I don;t think she'll ever look fat again, sassy yes, but not fat.

She's smooth and solid. Still has all of her teeth but they're worn smooth with the gums.
I can only hope that people will be able to say the same of me when I'm an old woman. :pretty:
Next year dun, will be the year she gives you a heifer. She is saving the best for last.

angie":vccounoo said:
She's smooth and solid. Still has all of her teeth but they're worn smooth with the gums.
I can only hope that people will be able to say the same of me when I'm an old woman. :pretty:
Next year dun, will be the year she gives you a heifer. She is saving the best for last.

Hope it isn;t the last! She's one that if she had twin heifers I would sure keep them.

We have one sort of like her.
I would have to check but I think she is 15 or 16 and this year weaned off our heaviest calf which was a heifer that weighed 696 on fescue, fescue hay and mamas milk.

Now part of that was that the calf was sired by Grid Maker and he has done a super job for us but this same mating two years ago also produced the top weaning calf.

My cow is a bit thinner that Duns but she breeds back AI and will recondition herself quickly after weaning.

we let one go last year that was fourteen. i felt just sick about it.

Latest posts