Show Your Herd Matron/Boss Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
Guess which cow is the boss? AI on Monday then turn out with the 4 bulls.

WP_20160319_08_04_55_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
198_zps0swvg3az.jpg

Have a half sister just like her. This year's calf is by a son/mother bull of the half sister and this cow's calf would be aunt/nephew. Both of this year's calves are peas in a pod, born the same day, weighed the same as heifer calves. Kept both bull calves from these two this past year as well. These two are not aggressive but have the best ability of mothering a calf I have ever seen. They possess "calf radar"! :nod:

Funny how the head cow just has that look to em, the way they carry the head, the confident stance, etc. Dun's cow looks like the twin sister to Chucky's old Leachman bull.

Interesting how much Ebenezer and M-5"s cows look like the best cows here, too. If you are raising cattle on what you can afford to feed them, which in my case is forage, then your cows are going to be frame 5 and in the 1200 pound range.

The reason guys like me and Caustic advocate Brahman genetics so much is that a 1500 pound Brahman that is 60 inches at the hip is just as efficient as an 1100 pound commercial cow on a forage only diet. Plus she will watch the other cows like a hawk so you don't have to. haha

I'll have to dig up the pictures.. Rosie was my boss cow for a long time.. She made her MUCH bigger but younger sister cower in fear even when she was old and arthritic.. My current boss cow is a bonerack.. she is a bit of an embarrassment.. certainly a back pasture cow but she can sure raise a calf.. You remember the video I posted years ago of the cow with the HUGE udder? Yeah.. that's her.
If she does her job and sticks around, I foresee Kama, Rosie's last heifer calf to become a boss cow.. at 3 years old she's already whipping the tar out of 5 year olds... Her older sister Cenci is quite a character as well.. totally different build (short and stout instead of big and long).. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top there.

Nesi, I just laugh when I read your interpretations of the social atmosphere in your herd sometimes :lol: you should write children's books about each of these cows and their personalities and some funny situations they get into (real or fake). You may have a hit series on your hands!

I forgot to mention that Granny was 17 in that picture.
We put her down 3-4 years ago and it's funny that there is no one boss cow anymore.

IMG_20160319_194813251_zpsks7sipac.jpg

She is 14 years old retired show cow from 4-H days and currently oldest cow in this herd. She may not be perfect cow but she is the leader of the herd. No cow will daring to challenge her for her leadership or her daughter. She will lead the herd to the corral to work on them and always be the first cow to goes in the alley and the chute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I had a boss cow. Mine took a ride when she lost her pregnancy (for the second time in 3 tries). Now they are running a commune. Don't seem to squabble as much but they also just ignore me when I try to call them.

I think a surprising one is trying to make her move--she is a smaller cow who had bad pinkeye so not sure her vision is great, and she's always been quiet. But she seems to be thinking of taking a run at it.

Latest posts