Show your cross bred bull

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
I have a curiosity about cross breed bulls and composites probally because it is so naughty........... show me your pictures. Tell me about your bulls.

I had a neighbour that bred his own bulls to back up an ai program they were hereford shorthorn cross simmental cows joined to the best charolais bulls via ai they were fantastic bulls

Was 3/4 sim 1/4 ang. He's gone to the big burger factory in the sky now. Just have PB's left

20150612_160004.jpg

I have some pics on my computer. Will post one next time i fire it up tablets are so much easyier

OzssieDave19":3sdv1vuj said:
I have a curiosity about cross breed bulls and composites probally because it is so naughty........... show me your pictures. Tell me about your bulls.

Really???????? :lol:

OzssieDave19":1pggdctt said:
I had a neighbour that bred his own bulls to back up an ai program they were hereford shorthorn cross simmental cows joined to the best charolais bulls via ai they were fantastic bulls
That would be the last piece of shyt no matter how good they looked on my cows. The DNA in that woodpile could be nuclear. I can't sell dead calves and I dam sure don't want to wreck good cows.

Brute 23":344brx1b said:
What am I missing? Arent Brangus, Braford, Beefmaster, etc all crossbreed bulls?
Yes they are and so are Balancers and many others. The current "Blacks" Simmis, Limis, Herefords, ect are crossbreds to a degree once you cross them they will never be pure again in reality. I have never understood those who are so against crossbreds but then use one. I guess if you change the name and don't call it a crossbred then they work fine.

Brute 23":1wax6hkp said:
What am I missing? Arent Brangus, Braford, Beefmaster, etc all crossbreed bulls?

Yes they are and I wouldn't use any crossbred - composite bull on crossbred cows. Good bulls are cheap right now, buy one and have something you can depend on. The bull is 50% of the calf, why take a chance?

Brute 23":m543ltn9 said:
So when you buy a Brangus Bull how do you know if its Brangus bred to Brangus bred to Brangus vs first generation Brangus? Is one more stable than the other?

That is where pedigree comes in.
First generation is not Brangus but an F-1. It takes 7 to 9 generations breeding in a controlled program to produce a stabilized composite "breed"
That will breed true with predictable results

So here is my crossbreed bull and I will give my spill on this guy. I was recommended these bulls by a guy who has bought these bulls for 30 years or more. He told me flat out you will get some bulls that throw average calves you will get some bulls that throw exceptional calves. When I went to look at him there were 200-300 bulls in the pasture. This guy sells all these bulls every single year to buyers along the gulf coast. There are areas that you have to run a crossbreed bull or basically a straight Brahman.

This guy has a horrible temperament but that is due to his enviroment, not breeding. I have never wormed, injected or really got near him in the almost 10 years we have had him. He holds his weight thru feast or fammen. I have been very pleased with his calves, especially heifers.

Will I do it again, probably not but that is because of his temperment, not his breeding. I will be going after a Braford bull when it's time to replace him. I have some of his daughters bred back across a straight hereford.

Not the best pic but all I have of him.

Two of my favorite pics. Two of his bull calves across first calf heifers.

Brute 23":1uqrfd3f said:
So here is my crossbreed bull and I will give my spill on this guy. I was recommended these bulls by a guy who has bought these bulls for 30 years or more. He told me flat out you will get some bulls that throw average calves you will get some bulls that throw exceptional calves. When I went to look at him there were 200-300 bulls in the pasture. This guy sells all these bulls every single year to buyers along the gulf coast. There are areas that you have to run a crossbreed bull or basically a straight Brahman.

This guy has a horrible temperament but that is due to his enviroment, not breeding. I have never wormed, injected or really got near him in the almost 10 years we have had him. He holds his weight thru feast or fammen. I have been very pleased with his calves, especially heifers.

Will I do it again, probably not but that is because of his temperment, not his breeding. I will be going after a Braford bull when it's time to replace him. I have some of his daughters bred back across a straight hereford.

Your lucky that temperament is not showing up in the calves.

Brute 23":ur7yb2cx said:

Great looking bull and calves!

Bigfoot":2menxmcm said:
Brute 23":2menxmcm said:
So here is my crossbreed bull and I will give my spill on this guy.

Your lucky that temperament is not showing up in the calves.

Some times it does. When I spot heifers I want I wean them early so I can get them in a pen and start hand feeding them.

Latest posts