Show & Tell

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Following are some pics of some of our cattle. Just posted them to our web site & thought I would share. I'm not very good about taking the camera out & getting pics. I have a bred heifer that will be in a sale & a photographer is coming out this Sunday. She was due Tuesday, and I'm afaid she might look awful or be in the middle of calving, so I decided to try to get a pic of her. Than I snapped a few of my "up-close" cattle that are "on deck" waiting to calve in the same lot and some calves in the next lot.
Hot_Tomalli.JPG

This is a 7 year old due day pic was taken. She is a Tomcat daughter.

Perfect.JPG

This is the sale heifer, she is a Power Drive bred to Bankroll

calves_in_snow.JPG

Some of our newborns. One on the left is a Macho heifer and one on the right is a Bankroll out of 2 yr old heifer also in the sale.

Jeanne, nice looking animals. We looked at some sons of Bankroll the other day up at Jerry and Barb Lee's farm. I believe they are at least part if not full owners of Bankroll. The two year old we are getting is from the Lee's.

D.R. Cattle

North Pole?

Believe it or not calves do far better in sub zero weather and snow than those in the south in rain and mud. Leave 'em outside and watch 'em grow!

Bez

Very nice Simmies, Jeanne. Thanks for posting. If you ever getted tired of admiring them, send them North and I'll be glad to admire them here for you. ;-)

Take care.

Bez":2t2fznwl said:
D.R. Cattle

North Pole?

Believe it or not calves do far better in sub zero weather and snow than those in the south in rain and mud. Leave 'em outside and watch 'em grow!

Bez

I recently read an article saying after research they've concluded that calves born in colder climates had higher birth weights. Maybe it's because forage bases are higher quality? Nevertheless the same cows had a much higher rate of calving problems than those born in warmer climates. Can't remember where it was or I'd quote. Interesting observation. I'll take option B: Not believe. Anyone have literature supporting?

Over the years there have been numerous studys on the subject. Cows moved from the south to the north had increased BW, cows from the north moved south had decreased BW. I think it goes back to the old deal about northern animals are just generally larger then those from the south. Some years ago some group in TX captured a bunch of whitetail deer from up north where they had such large bodys. Turned out that the fawns sired by them in the south were small. Read about that in some research paper that was done on deer farming, don;t remember where.

dun

Very nice work. Good looking stock. I'll take the snow too...over mud anyday.

D.R. Cattle":3vr3xwnb said:
What happens when the snow melts or it rains? You guys trying to convince me you don't have mud? You're reaching.

I was thinking the same thing. Snow is just delayed mud.

dun

Yes, we have more than our fair share of MUD. Actually, I thought I would be calving in the mud, because it stayed warm & rainy late. Might be the first year in 26 that we didn't have a white Christmas.
BUT, I plan our calving to be during last week of Jan - early March. This way MOST all the calves are born with snow on the ground. By the time we have mud, they know how to get around & are lots stronger to fight off diseases. Very few "bugs" floating around in the snow :lol:

Very nice Simmies, Jeanne. Thanks for posting. If you ever getted tired of admiring them, send them North and I'll be glad to admire them here for you.
Trust me, I LOVE looking at them. Love to have visitors to show them to. Couldn't resist posting them. After visiting some sites, I saw that they had pasture cows listed. I never did that, so I'm trying to get some cows posted on my web page. Basically all our pics are of show cattle. So since I had the pics, thought I would share. (show off :oops: )

D.R. Cattle":o0dtktzf said:
I recently read an article saying after research they've concluded that calves born in colder climates had higher birth weights.

DR, they are heavier when the hit the ground because of the extra 3 inches of winter hair!!! :D

Jeanne I agree with you on the winter calving and less sickness. The cold is not much of a problem once you know how to deal with it. I much rather deal with calving in the cold than mud season and all the nasty bugs that come with it. You have some very nice looking heifers.

the colder the climate the higher the birthweight due to the fact that the cow runs more blood through the uterus in order to keep the blood off the surface so to keep warmer. that in turn pushes up the birthweights because there is more nutrients and blood flow...

Latest posts