Show stick pointers

Help Support CattleToday:

I'v seen the soft stroke in the sullivan Supply cataloge, was thinking about trying them. Now I think we will, thanks for the info. :D

t&d farms":1kk4qwuc said:
it was just for the showmanship class, thats how he wanted it, it was his show to judge.
sorry but i wont post his name, just dont think its necessary

i just hate cutting the leads off! wonder can you buy shorter leads? never really looked

back to talking about showsticks, does anyone use those soft comb attactmachs? my son had some bday money and bought one for his showstick.

sorry everyone, I guess I didn't read the post good enough, thought it was on a breed class :shock: Thanks for pointing that out to me :oops:

The one problem I have seen with the smaller kids and long show stick is the damage they do with the excess stick when they are not setting up the back feet, once they have set up the back feet they have to grip the stick in the middle to loin, scratch, and set up the front feet. The other end is bumping the steer next to them. When they are walking the steer in the ring all you see is 3 foot of stick from the other side of the steer. I think that the stick should fit the showman first the animal second, especially with the beginners.
Last show we were at, the ring steward was helping a young snowperson in the ring; I swear she got hit in the head 2 or 3 times by the butt end of the stick.

Another thing about showhalters is the chain that goes under the chin. If for some reason the animal really doesn't like the noisey chain under his chin, you can vetrap the chain that matches the show halter.

I like a lot about this article.

I dont like this:

"As a general rule, the closer you hold an animal near their head, the more control you will have. A confident showman who is in complete control of his or her animal will be comfortable holding the halter close to the animal's head. Ultimately, the disposition of the calf and the comfort level of the exhibitor will determine the proper distance"

because if you lead the animal with about 10 - 15 cm of lead from the head to your hand they will walk out more freely and be more comfortable. I do not like seeing people leading animals with their hand right up next to the animal's head, and actually with a lot of animals they are worse behaved when led this way.

Also wanted to comment on this:

"Contrary to popular belief, it is not physically possible to keep one eye on the animal and one eye on the judge. The showman/woman should always know where the judge is located, but the focus of the attention should be on the calf. "

I tell my show kids they have to have one eye on the judge, half an eye on their animal and half an eye on the one in front of them. It is just so very important that you show the animal for the judge.

"There is enough noise at a fair or a show that the exhibitor doesn't need to create more. Actions such as whistling, snapping fingers, or a loud voice in order to get the calf's attention or as a means to draw attention to the calf are considered poor etiquette. "

I do disagree with this one. A good showman, if he has a docile calf that is going to sleep in the ring, can easily make discrete noises to get the calf's attention. Getting those ears pricked up can make a helluva difference to a calf's outlook. It also mkes them stand up straighter and taller too.

But overall, really good article.

About the lead issue, some judges here prefer the lead to be held dangling (but never touching the ground), some prefer it to be held in one hand but looped up once (but never wrapped around the hand of the parader), some prefer it to be held in two hands with no loops.

The critical thing in showmanship is to arrive at the ring early, watch the classes before you and listen to what the judge says. You can pick up his pet hates - adjust your methods for things like lead handling, use of neck cards on the animals, fitting techniques, feet techniques and a huge range of other things. If you want to win, do what he wants. Its as simple as that.

"Contrary to popular belief, it is not physically possible to keep one eye on the animal and one eye on the judge. The showman/woman should always know where the judge is located, but the focus of the attention should be on the calf. "

I tell my show kids they have to have one eye on the judge, half an eye on their animal and half an eye on the one in front of them. It is just so very important that you show the animal for the judge.

"There is enough noise at a fair or a show that the exhibitor doesn't need to create more. Actions such as whistling, snapping fingers, or a loud voice in order to get the calf's attention or as a means to draw attention to the calf are considered poor etiquette. "

I do disagree with this one. A good showman, if he has a docile calf that is going to sleep in the ring, can easily make discrete noises to get the calf's attention. Getting those ears pricked up can make a helluva difference to a calf's outlook. It also mkes them stand up straighter and taller too.

I agree on both points Keren. I always teach the kids the same thing... it IS possible to have an eye on everything, and it's something you need to do.

As for the noise thing, on more than a few occasions I have won both parader and breed classes from the little noises, and talking, I do with my animal. It is possible to make very discrete murmurings and 'clucks' to prick those ears, and to calm the animal.

With the showstick, I always fit the stick to the handler, and teach the kids to stand their animals up as much as possible using rocking on the halter, and little pressure on the shoulder. It is more important that the handler is comfortable with the stick than that they can reach the back feet, especially when it is a child leading the animal.

I really appreciate all the comments on this thread, everyone has been very helpful and given great ideas even though some are opposite of others. I've decided we'll stay with the shorter stick for GS, he'll be carrying it with him all the time for the next couple months, and we'll practice walking/rocking the calves into position.

The comment from VCC about the kid using a longer stick and hitting the calf in front of him really cracked me up, I thought he'd seen my GS showing! Did I mention that while practicing that we'll both be walking heifers so he can learn to leave proper distance? :lol:

Chris H":2w0r07kv said:
I really appreciate all the comments on this thread, everyone has been very helpful and given great ideas even though some are opposite of others.
That's what makes this board such a helpful tool. If we all had the same opinion then we wouldn't need this kind of forum.
What works for one family may not work for another. And what is important about showing to one may not be the case for the other.
Your son will work hard and in a few years will tell you what he thinks he needs to do. That makes a mom proud when the child is telling you what they need and not the other way around. Good luck, stay safe and most of all have fun. :D

Latest posts