Show Steer (Pics Added)

Help Support CattleToday:

brahma_show_girl

Reaction score
I am goin Sautday morning to look a possible steers for one of my 4-H projects. This will be my first steer. I am looking at black baldies and herefords. Hopefully I will get some pictures. Can any of you give me some advice on what to look for? I am a pretty good judge of cattle but these steers are still kinda young and I want to pick one that will grow well. If I like one of the ones I see I will be getting him in the next couple of weeks.

Picking out prospect cattle is always the hardest part I think. Take your time and get a good one. Your already off to a good start looking at Herefords! ;-)

Start from the feet and work your way up, if the animal has good feet, pointing forward, tracks well, then continue evaluating the animal, if its feet point East and West, it has a short stride or does not track well move on to the next animal.
Look for an animal that is complete, if it has a great top line put is tight flanked or tight in the heart girth it probably won't reach the growth you want, something balanced with muscle is what you want to find.
Good luck and have fun.

Well I bought my steer today. He is A Sept. Black Baldie. He is at the barn and I will get pics in the next couple of days after he calms down a little. Thanks

Okay I took some pics. Sorry for the bad quality. I've only had him a day and he is still being a hard head. Plus he isn't good and broke yet. He wouldn't hold his head up and he really wasn't cooperating. Anyway here they are...

SideShot.jpg

SideJB.jpg

ButtView.jpg

Okay so what do yall think. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. I'm a big girl I can handle it.

Thanks

Oh I forgot, he is out of a Registered Angus Bull and a Registered Polled Hereford Cow. He was born the end of Sept and has only been off his momma a week. We are guessing he weighs anywhere from 450 to 500lbs.

Latest posts