Show steer losing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
One of my sons show steers is going bald. We have been treating for lice, the other two steers are getting better but this one is getting worse. We have had ringworm this year and now this. Any suggestions? We are going to clean the barn and put lime down. What else can cause hair lose in one but not the others? Could crude oil be the cause of this, long story but it was put on him where the hair lose is happening. It is finally going to warm up this weekend and I am thinking about letting them all out for the day, maybe the sun will help and if it rains which it is suppose to do, I thought that might help also. Any suggestions at this point will be very helpful. Yes I am going to call the vet, but I figured with all the experience on this board, someone might be able to help us out.

Lilfarmgirl

Now this is just a shot in the dark. But horses will sometimes lose their hair in places and it is referred to as rain rot. I am not sure as to what causes it. But it is treated by bathing them in a iodine solution. I think they may even have a iodine shampoo just for that. You might check with your feed store and see. And i would ask my vet whay he thought about it before doing it. Just a suggestion, good luck.

It could be a skin reaction to pour-on. I see it often in young calves especially when the weather is humid.

lice is my thought.an sometimes lice just has to run its course.an you are doctoring the calves for lice.some just take longer to get over it even with treatment.

my sheep keep losing their coats. I dont know why! please help me

5.jpg

What do you mean by loosing their coats.Do you have plastic wool protection coats? if so i say put them together at the belly with velcro much more effective than the ties that are provided in the packet.

I talked to the vet, he said it sounds like the treatment we are using for lice. We have quit treating, the other ones are fine and he seems to be doing better. The vet said not to put anything on him, and we will have to find another treatment if he doesn't clear up.

Lilfarmgirl

Latest posts