Show results!

Help Support CattleToday:

richburg102

Reaction score
my show heifer won her class ........it was a small little show i dont know how i wasnt GC or RGC but oh well you cant win them all.......he said she was to thick and she had to short of a cannon bone :roll: .......she looked awesome and fitted up nicely

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

the steer looked even better and since i got his hooves trimmed he has been walking a lot better and hasnt been turning out on his feet as much......he won his class and then went on the win reserve steer :D

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

this was the champion steer drive.......the big black steer was GC.......then my little black steer was reserve........Which of the four do you like best?

and what do you guys think of the animals?

I really like the heifer, she was the Chi right? She is really thick, but I don't think too much to hurt her. I actually have an Angus heifer that looks really similar to her. And what was she out of again? I don't see why both animals didn't win. I also don't see how you can keep the hair on you heifer so nice in Florida. Great job! ;-)

They look great, Congrats!!!!! Grand should have been the big black calf then your's and then the AmerX then the little red calf. I like the little red calf but he's not got as much meat on him as the AmerX, but he still looks a little green.

stephE":1chl9ano said:
I really like the heifer, she was the Chi right? She is really thick, but I don't think too much to hurt her. I actually have an Angus heifer that looks really similar to her. And what was she out of again? I don't see why both animals didn't win. I also don't see how you can keep the hair on you heifer so nice in Florida. Great job! ;-)

yes she is chi.....and she is out of hannibal.......i have a fan and misters on each animal during the day and i alternate washing them each day.

Did that cheater show kid show in this show as well? He probably cheated and won the thing lol

funny thing is that he did win the heifer show.......i have no idea how :shock: i didnt even pay attention to wether he aged her again or not..........but that red steer was his old steer he posted on awhile ago if you guys remember

The red Exodic steers he has. I would think he would be bigger, he looked bigger in the pic's about 2 months ago. How old in your steer Vs his Steer. And also whats the weights on both steers. That calf still looked green, do know if he would post some pcitures of him of what he looks like from the profile.
Thanks

Maineshowgirl":27hb3yrv said:
The red Exodic steers he has. I would think he would be bigger, he looked bigger in the pic's about 2 months ago. How old in your steer Vs his Steer. And also whats the weights on both steers. That calf still looked green, do know if he would post some pcitures of him of what he looks like from the profile.
Thanks

no thats not showkid in the pic.....he sold the red steer and got another steer.......but back in january the red steer was 70 pounds heavier and now my steer is bigger by 50 pounds........he sold the red steer the end of jan i think..... i guess he just hasnt been gaining

my black steer weighed 615 on Jan 7 and he was 825 on Mar 11......which puts him at 3.3 ADG

Nice calves Richburg.

I've got a friend that shows Chis and, at least around here, they tend to be more on the thick side. I've heard of other people being docked for thickness in the heifer show, as well.

Interesting that he commented about the cannon bone...though, have you noticed, clubby type calves tend to have a shorter cannon bone than others?

Jay

jaydill":2t0gmhpc said:
Nice calves Richburg.

I've got a friend that shows Chis and, at least around here, they tend to be more on the thick side. I've heard of other people being docked for thickness in the heifer show, as well.

Interesting that he commented about the cannon bone...though, have you noticed, clubby type calves tend to have a shorter cannon bone than others?

Jay

richburg102":gqvzmivq said:
"you win a couple and you lose a whole be nice of a lot"

and the way i look at it i just work harder til the show and leave this one in the past
Good way to look at it. Good luck at your next shows with her! Let us know how you do.

Jay

I am in SE MN and we are not even close to having weather like that...makes me jealous. Can't wait for the show season to start around here. Nice looking hiefer.

richburg102":33zffqk7 said:
jaydill":33zffqk7 said:
Nice calves Richburg.

Jay

no she actually has a nice cannon bone and in no way short.....the judge was a ag teacher from my county and i dont think he likes me because she was hands down the best heifer in that show.....even for her being so thick she still had the smoothest shoulder and the cleanest front out of any of the heifers in the show and i have no idea why he wouldnt pick her because he has thick clubbies like my heifer.......the guy i bought her from came down ond looked at her during state fair and he said she was a steer in the back and a heifer in the front which is wha he likes about her....... the judge said that about her cannon bone just so he could beat her is the way i see it

they always say

"you win a couple and you lose a whole be nice of a lot"

and the way i look at it i just work harder til the show and leave this one in the past

I agree with you that yu should just work harder but to say that the eason you didn't win was because he ag teacher didn't like you seems a little to sure of your self. I can tell you fro experience that i have had some problems with some thick heifers. Some of them do have calving problems. Also to say that your heifer was the smoothest shouldered and cleanest fronted is hard for us to really verify, do you have pictures ofwho you competed against? Don't think I'm getting on to yu I just think that maybe your thinking your heifer i good because she is thick and big boned. JMO, Se is a very nice heifer but I think that she might have some problems down the road.

Maine Showman":3b2lixv5 said:
I agree with you that yu should just work harder but to say that the eason you didn't win was because he ag teacher didn't like you seems a little to sure of your self. I can tell you fro experience that i have had some problems with some thick heifers. Some of them do have calving problems. Also to say that your heifer was the smoothest shouldered and cleanest fronted is hard for us to really verify, do you have pictures ofwho you competed against? Don't think I'm getting on to yu I just think that maybe your thinking your heifer i good because she is thick and big boned. JMO, Se is a very nice heifer but I think that she might have some problems down the road.
I agree somewhat with this statement. I see a lot of Chis around my area similar to the build of this heifer...the more clubby they get, the more "steer like" they seem to become as well as the shorter the cannon bone seems to get. Just an observation by me.

Jay

I agree with this staement as well it seems a bit snobbish to think that you have the best animals at a show just because there thick and big. To say that you didn't get picked because of the ag teacher is BS is you ask me! Your heifer is nice but she's just an average 1500 dollar heifer up here and besides she is way to thick. We went through the thick heifer stage up here and when we started breeding them, started having calving problems. And I agree with MaineShowman on the fact that we don't have any pictures of the GC and RGC Hiefer.

Oklahoma Cattlemen":1t20naxa said:
I agree with this staement as well it seems a bit snobbish to think that you have the best animals at a show just because there thick and big. To say that you didn't get picked because of the ag teacher is BS is you ask me! Your heifer is nice but she's just an average 1500 dollar heifer up here and besides she is way to thick. We went through the thick heifer stage up here and when we started breeding them, started having calving problems. And I agree with MaineShowman on the fact that we don't have any pictures of the GC and RGC Hiefer.

well excuse me but have i said a single thing about my heifer being so great because she is thick and big boned.....no i havent and who the he## do you think you are to judge what my heifer is or isnt.....she is a deep, long bodied, big middled, and thick but even for her being so thick she is still a cool fronted and heifer and is is no way TOO steery.........and when she was only nine months old she won a show with nearly 100 heifers in it..........i bought her for double that and now since she has grown up she is probably worth double or triple what i had originally paid for her...........and i do have pictures of the grand and reserve

here is the picture grand is on the left and reserve on the far right

DSC_0080.JPG

richburg102":24x79fig said:
Oklahoma Cattlemen":24x79fig said:
i personally dont know how a shallow bodied, tight gutted, no boned thing like that could beat my heifer.....JMO......i would have rather seen the angus/beefmaster heifer on the right win because she had more gut and deepth than the grand

Rich - do not jump down my throat - I am old enough to be your Grandad.

Justa little old fashioned plain advice.

First - attitude is everything in competition.

Second - judging is by its very designation "judgemental".

I would ask you to stop and think for a moment. If your writings are anything like your attitude - do you think this may have carried over on to the field?

It is a distinct possibility. It happens in all sorts of sports and competitions. Those who are liked / considered modest and self deprecating - often do the best. Not always I admit - because there are no 100% solutions to life.

Reputation and name are the only things you can carry at all times with your head up high. The rest is simply garnish on the edge of the plate. Get a good one and you can go places - get a bad one and you can be stalled for life.

As for judging - everyone has a different eye for art. Some folks think the Mona Lisa is a beautiful painting of a beautiful woman. To me it is a plain painting of a plain woman.

If there are no hard and fast - "MEASUREABLE" standards - then one is always subject to the whim of the judge - plain and simple.

One does not have to agree with the judge - one simply must accept the decision of the judge and do so with grace.

Your response - if there is one - will be very telling.

Regards,

Bez>

i understand what you are trying so say

oklahoma cattleman is the kid on the right and when you go and make a fake name to say something like that it sent me over the edge

and in the first place i never said anything negative towards the grand or reserve just that i didnt agree with the judges decision but then i go on to say that i will just put this show behind me and worker harder for the future and i left it at that.....which is what i am going to do

Latest posts