Show me your herd!

Help Support CattleToday:

Chaded, love that you are grazing that Johnsongrass at just the right stage. Nothing in your pasture provides as much quality!
Especially this time of year, as the fescue is hitting that slump.

Not much johnsongrass here, except on the highways. All the farmers waged passionate war on it when it started showing up decades ago and surprisingly kept it in check.

Especially this time of year, as the fescue is hitting that slump.

Not much johnsongrass here, except on the highways. All the farmers waged passionate war on it when it started showing up decades ago and surprisingly kept it in check.
Fescue ain't even in a slump here.too busy being dead

Well, here's a few.

PB Charolais ET January heifer calf, Two Byrds Blizzard Vision
1660847678399.png

PB MG ET January Bull calf, Two Byrds Knight
1660847957023.png
PB MG Cow just turned 3 and weaned her January heifer calf, LGR Gem
1660848140181.png

PB MG 4-H Steer (my son's) placed 3rd overall in the Bred and Fed for our county (and made the front page of the newspaper!)
1660848670070.png

Braunvieh cows doing pretty good. They come running when I whistle now since I always provide treats
1660848500648.png

Travlr is right here. Back down the groceries to avoid painful decisions. She's got enough energy packed away to get that calf to weaning on poor hay.
You know, it's so funny, cause a lot of people who see her comment that she's a bit fat, and I agree. All summer I've been lamenting that she's been on some pretty rough pasture, lots of weeds and very little rain. The past month or so she and 3 other cows have been sharing a 1 or 2 acre pasture, and it's pretty low quality grass and weeds and thistle, etc. She only gets a small slash of grain once a week when I go out and check on her and the other cows. I can't seem to get her to lose any weight, so not sure why she's so large. About a month before she calved she started to get pretty chubby on her rear end, so that gave me a clue that she was getting close.

She was a first-place winning show cow before I bought her, so she was used to being pampered and brought up on grain. In the winter she even sticks her nose up at hay that doesn't fit her high standard of what a show cow should eat in her opinion lol.

I'm always afraid that she's gonna give me a high birth weight calf and have birth problems, but she drops these babies like nothing. We can never catch her in calving since she goes to the far end of the pasture, and next thing we know we see her with a little calf.🤷‍♀️