Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Neighbor bull is fat. Woody is in way better fighting shape.
Neighbor bull is fat. Woody is in way better fighting shape.
Willy is the one that kicked azz. He packs it on and looks like a hippo during the winter, but he's already dropped a couple hundred pounds since I turned them out and he's practically svelte. Woody is tall and rangy - never gets fat and never gets too thin. This is my tub 'o lard in April with Tallywacker.
1659292329469.jpeg

The point being that I don't own a bull for his ability to fight. I want one that produces calves that sell at the tip of the market. The neighbor's bull gets the invite...
Nope!!! Their criteria for a bull is "black". EPD's? No. Vaccinations? Maybe once a year, maybe not. Fly control? That would be me, if his herd is near the fence while I'm spraying.

Nope!!! Their criteria for a bull is "black". EPD's? No. Vaccinations? Maybe once a year, maybe not. Fly control? That would be me, if his herd is near the fence while I'm spraying.

And that's all great.

Based on THE PICTURE... the only thing available...

And how do his calves sell?

And that's all great.

Based on THE PICTURE... the only thing available...

And how do his calves sell?
They keep that bull in all year, so calves are all over the place, definitely not a uniform calf crop. I don't know how they sell, based on that, and they generally round up a trailer full of calves a couple times a year and take them directly to the sale. They have the ugliest group of cows ever and they're skinny, covered with flies. But I feel so bad for them I end up giving them cubes, probably more than I should because they run over to the fence when they hear my Polaris.

This was their last bull. Until he just keeled over one day.
1659295350528.jpeg

They keep that bull in all year, so calves are all over the place, definitely not a uniform calf crop. I don't know how they sell, based on that, and they generally round up a trailer full of calves a couple times a year and take them directly to the sale. They have the ugliest group of cows ever and they're skinny, covered with flies. But I feel so bad for them I end up giving them cubes, probably more than I should because they run over to the fence when they hear my Polaris.

This was their last bull. Until he just keeled over one day.
View attachment 19686

Whoa... regardless of EPDs or whatever... the new bull is a vast improvement.

On the plus side... he has enough oomph to jump a fence to get to cows.
Going on 4 years now, he either jumps or busts through. Hot wire means nothing to him. That said, partially my fault. He was our "guest" for almost 2 months last year, just hanging with the bulls, and he knows I've got the goods.

Latest posts