Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw this when you posted it and it triggered an incomplete memory. So I had to cogitate over it for a while to remember what I've heard about high tail heads.

I hung around with a guy quite a while ago that made his living inseminating cows. One day he was inseminating a Brown Swiss I'd brought home as an experiment, and he mentioned that the breed tended to have high tail heads... and some problems from them. He told me that the high set allows contaminants to enter the vagina on the females, causing breeding issues. So not a problem with bulls/steers... but a potential issue with cows/heifers.

In a terminal circumstance where all calves are going to slaughter, no problem. Otherwise, be advised... for what it's worth.

I like the bull... but I trust the guy I hung around with. He'd had plenty of experience breeding cows.
I would agree with your friend if it was In fact a slope up but this tail doesnt slope it is well I have no idea how to explain it lol different.

I would agree with your friend if it was In fact a slope up but this tail doesnt slope it is well I have no idea how to explain it lol different.
The tail being cocked up, in a female, makes the vaginal opening more exposed and in a position that gathers contaminants. Is the tail position heritable? I would wonder about it if I was wanting heifers from a bull.

What's the breeding on 2042 &2041???
2041 is a SS Niagara reg 20092413 his dam goes back to our foundation Bridget cow she was sired by a bull out of our donor Blackcap May cow and Coleman EXT 6149.

2042 is a Gizmo DBoss son out of our Pride cow family registration 20092414. D Boss was an ET calf we used for two years he is acResource son out of Blackcap May 2315.

both are really nice young bulls.

View attachment 18501
Getting to be an old man , going to be 7 this fall . Our Plattemere Weigh Up son. Thinking seriously about letting him go after August, especially if bulls are still over a dollar a lb . He was a replacement for the bull I originally bought at the Deer Valley sale . That bull had a big corn between his front hoof and went lame after I got him home . Wasn't real sold on him at first but he has done a great job for us . His daughters are really doing well .
View attachment 18501
Getting to be an old man , going to be 7 this fall . Our Plattemere Weigh Up son. Thinking seriously about letting him go after August, especially if bulls are still over a dollar a lb . He was a replacement for the bull I originally bought at the Deer Valley sale . That bull had a big corn between his front hoof and went lame after I got him home . Wasn't real sold on him at first but he has done a great job for us . His daughters are really doing well .
I would cull him his tail is dirty🤣and mud on his back feet just unacceptable. Just kidding he is really nice*

Gizmom,
That is obviously not a new picture, because the mud isnt up to his flank.. Do you ever remember this much rain in July without a hurricane.. I know people are struggling elsewhere but my goodness I wish it would quit for a week.. I think yesterday was the 2nd day this month without measurable rain fall here..

Gizmom,
That is obviously not a new picture, because the mud isnt up to his flank.. Do you ever remember this much rain in July without a hurricane.. I know people are struggling elsewhere but my goodness I wish it would quit for a week.. I think yesterday was the 2nd day this month without measurable rain fall here..
It has been some kinda wet I am mowing grass constantly. One thing for sure if it ever stops we're going to be busy in the hay fields.

It has been some kinda wet I am mowing grass constantly. One thing for sure if it ever stops we're going to be busy in the hay fields.
Send it to NE Alabama! We can't get a break . Splits or falls apart before it reaches us . They say it rains on the just and the unjust , I've got to be in one of those two .

Send it to NE Alabama! We can't get a break . Splits or falls apart before it reaches us . They say it rains on the just and the unjust , I've got to be in one of those two .
It's all been going to north Jackson..

Dang son that heifer is outstanding.
Thanks I think he's going to produce some nice replacements. I only have two because his genomics showed a high bw and ced so I only bred him to 8 cows to be safe and got two heifers. I'm hoping for more this year.

Latest posts