Show Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

gildehbc

Reaction score
Question?....We have some nice yearling heifers that my neices would like to show this summer. They are halter broke at this point for the most part. They will be AI bred May 10th. They need to keep working with them to get ready for August shows. How long would you wait after AI and 1st cycle with the clean up bull before working with them again. Second week in June?????

40 DAYS PREGNANT, is when my vet considers them to be "safe". Around day 17 I think is when he said to not do anything to them.

Our fair is 2nd week of July so we are breeding now to make sure any that repeat will be "safe"

If they are used to being worked with, not doing anything and upseting their routine will hurt you more than continuing to do your thing. When I was showing if she was in heat tonight, gets bred in the morning and then into the stalls under the fan just like any other day.

If you are talking about putting them on the road, well then I would say keep them home for at least 30 days.

Engler":2lpp5dqa said:
If they are used to being worked with, not doing anything and upseting their routine will hurt you more than continuing to do your thing. When I was showing if she was in heat tonight, gets bred in the morning and then into the stalls under the fan just like any other day.

If you are talking about putting them on the road, well then I would say keep them home for at least 30 days.
I agree, just keep their normal routine if they are quiet and used to it.

I have a show heifer (Brahman) and she was doing perfectly fine this past month since we got her. We had to take her to the vet, and ever since we put her in the trailer she freaks out. She won't walk anymore,lead, or do anything. Every time we try to walk her she try's to ram us. Any tips?

Marissa8":191cuxgk said:
I have a show heifer (Brahman) and she was doing perfectly fine this past month since we got her. We had to take her to the vet, and ever since we put her in the trailer she freaks out. She won't walk anymore,lead, or do anything. Every time we try to walk her she try's to ram us. Any tips?
Make it pleasant for her. Lead her to grass or some grain. Do you tie her for periods of time?

I tie her up for 2 hours every day! She does fine when I walk her outside. When she knows we're going somewhere different she freaks!

Have you ridden in the back of the trailer to see why she freaks out? There might be something going on back there when you travel. Might be worth riding with her, while she is tied, one time, around the block or something similar to see what is spooking her...

Have you ridden in the back of the trailer to see why she freaks out? There might be something going on back there when you travel. Might be worth riding with her, while she is tied, one time, around the block or something similar to see what is spooking her...

Latest posts