Show heifers vs commercial heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

FB-Maines94

Reaction score
I'm from the world of the showring. However, I'm trying to learn more about the commercial side of the cattle industry. I know what a winning heifer looks like, but is that what a commercial cattleman wants in his pasture?

I'm not new to cattle, but spending most of my life overseas hasn't helped me in becoming very knowledgeable.

No. The show-ring and the real world are two different entities. Mind you there are some seedstock guys that produce the kind of cattle that commercial guys want and can do fairly well in the show-ring. But vice-versa are few and far between. Now my criteria for commercial cattle is different from that of others on here based largely on geographic location. But I need guts, hair, spine, no-nonsense feet and udders, easy fleshing, muscle and stayability in my cows along with a few other things.

plumber_greg":3vu200xa said:
Aaron, is that a pic of you? gs

Yes. One of my sisters took a picture of me with my two nephews before our aunt's funeral with her iPhone last week. I don't have my picture taken very often. Probably once every 4 years.

photo_zps80f761b4.jpg

FB-Maines94":1fnszefq said:
I'm from the world of the showring. However, I'm trying to learn more about the commercial side of the cattle industry. I know what a winning heifer looks like, but is that what a commercial cattleman wants in his pasture?

I'm not new to cattle, but spending most of my life overseas hasn't helped me in becoming very knowledgeable.
I haven;t figured it out either. Some of our comercial heifers have been shown and did well, to me they're the same as the unshown commercial heifers. But the folks that show them say they have an extra style to them, what ever thehellthatis.

Aaron":1marpg63 said:
No. The show-ring and the real world are two different entities. Mind you there are some seedstock guys that produce the kind of cattle that commercial guys want and can do fairly well in the show-ring. But vice-versa are few and far between. Now my criteria for commercial cattle is different from that of others on here based largely on geographic location. But I need guts, hair, spine, no-nonsense feet and udders, easy fleshing, muscle and stayability in my cows along with a few other things.
Funny thing is the things you listed as criteria for your commercial heifers is also what I look for in heifers I want to show except hair (we clip off the Gerts to look slick like summer).

I'm not yet in the business, but I want to be able to have two-way cattle. I enjoy the show, but I understand the need to make money. For this reason, I would focus on moderate-framed cattle with easy fleshing traits. I don't believe in following the latest shift in style. My cattle would be of my design. I'm in central Texas where rain is sparse. Thanks for the answers.

BC":148xqp82 said:
Aaron":148xqp82 said:
Funny thing is the things you listed as criteria for your commercial heifers is also what I look for in heifers I want to show except hair (we clip off the Gerts to look slick like summer).

Granted. But I want to say the style of the cattle are different. Often you'll see overly feminine heifers that are fed to fit the showring, rather than her hog-fat counterpart that has never seen a grain bucket, has a sloped tailhead and the biggest head of the bunch with one ear that got frostbitten. She won't show well, but she'll probably make a cracker-jack cow.

I once was poised with a question by two very respected Canadian Hereford breeders. In front of us were two heifers. One a picture-perfect showstring specimen. The right amount of rib, good balance, clean shoulder, nice hair, great legs and feet...etc. etc. Next to her was her half sister. Gutty, short-legged, lardy as all get-out, thick heavy brisket, but good muscle, a turkey platter backside and the makings of a good mature brood cow.

"Which one is your pick, Aaron?"

"Well that once is real nice. Real fancy. Probably win a few awards in her time to come. But in ten years, this other one will probably still be here, popping out saleable calves and making good money for you. And really, that's all that counts to the commercial cattleman"

The one fellow looked at me and said, "You know Aaron, your right. It's far too often that we forget that when we get caught up in the showring side of things."

Latest posts