Show heifers in production

Help Support CattleToday:

capparelli

Reaction score
These were two of my show heifers from my senior year of high school. The white face is a SimAngus and the solid black is a SalerXAngus Optimizer.
twoheifers.jpg

This is them now, they will both be 4 years old in February and they are standing with their 3rd calves. The calf on the left is a F2 SimAngus out of the white face cow and the calf on the right is a bull calf out of the black cow and Sheriff Taylor.
870883542_photobucket_21058_.jpg

They have proven to me that heifers that are competitive in the showring can also perform in the pasture, provided the right qualities are selected for.

Happy New Year! Hope everyone has a great year.

Show cattle should not only do OK as pasture breeding stock but excel. They have been chosen to do so. If the judge is worth his salt.
It is my opinion that show animals have received a bad reputation because buyers do not bring them down off of feed correctly. When you think about it most show stock came from pasture raised cattle, so why shouldn't they do well?
A close friend buys several animals at auction at the county fair every year. He has developed a might fine herd of cows by doing this. Kind of pricey though, but he helped the kids at the same time.

I agree with you completely. You are right, gradually bringing them off feed is a big part of it.I only have a small herd of 25 head, but over half of them are old show cows and do fine and raise nice big calves. They are also holding their condition very well through the winter on hay and protein blocks.

novatech":35is199l said:
It is my opinion that show animals have received a bad reputation because buyers do not bring them down off of feed correctly.
My opinion too.

Great to hear these comments. I sure get slammed enough about our show cattle being pampered. A good portion of my 60 cows were "show" cattle. Novatech is right. They are not pampered & excel in the pasture.
The modern heifer winning in the show ring is an easy keeper. I still see farms feeding outrageous amounts of grain to their showstring, but we don't and a lot of good breeders don't.