show heifer prospects

Help Support CattleToday:

Arnold Ziffle":2d5f12hu said:
Hey "mom" -- I bet you sure rue the day that you posted about those $16,000 bulls!! :D

Have a nice weekend everybody.

yea i bet too.. she cant seem to get a bit of slack.. everything she posts is scrutinized to the nth degree.. and i might add takes credibility away from the scrutinizers.. if you dont want to answer then dont.. but why giver her such a hard time??

problem is .. she has more and/or knows more than some want to give her credit for..
:roll:

jt

txag":3o5tzzdb said:
when my daughter is old enough to show,

The way you put down showing, I never thought I would see you say this. :shock:

rgv4":1m1941pf said:
The way you put down showing, I never thought I would see you say this. :shock:

maybe you can help me out & refresh my memory. i'm not sure i've put down showing. what i have done is questioned spending big bucks on show animals. if you'll read the rest of my previous post, i still question that.

it's no secret as i've mentioned several times that my daughter plans to show. she's only 3 but can't wait to "lead her heifer around at the stock show". what we don't plan to do is spend lots of money on steers or heifers or running around the country every weekend visiting every pumpkin county fair showing against ourselves or classes with only a couple of calves trying to win a belt buckle or a jacket.

our plan is to hit the majors......jr nat'l, possibly denver, louisville & big shows in texas in the spring.

it's no secret as i've mentioned several times that my daughter plans to show. she's only 3 but can't wait to "lead her heifer around at the stock show". what we don't plan to do is spend lots of money on steers or heifers or running around the country every weekend visiting every pumpkin county fair showing against ourselves or classes with only a couple of calves trying to win a belt buckle or a jacket.

our plan is to hit the majors......jr nat'l, possibly denver, louisville & big shows in texas in the spring.

FYI Neither did I!!!! It gets in you blood. Its like a disease that there is no cure for!

We have a very small Maine-Anjou & Simmental Show Calf operation. Although we have only ten cows, we have bred and exibited several National division champ. heifers including a couple of Res. National Champions. We now sell all of our calves, bulls for breeding and heifers for show. Our normal price range is from $1000 to $2500. Heifers usually sell higher than bulls, but my highest sellers, $3500 & $4000, were both bulls. I am prejudiced, but confident that we have two or three cows as good as any top donor in the nation. I would be hard pressed to even price my favorite cows, but I don't see why any show heifer should sell for over $5000. My 2 Cents..........

AAOK":4l9w06z7 said:
We have a very small Maine-Anjou & Simmental Show Calf operation. Although we have only ten cows, we have bred and exibited several National division champ. heifers including a couple of Res. National Champions. We now sell all of our calves, bulls for breeding and heifers for show. Our normal price range is from $1000 to $2500. Heifers usually sell higher than bulls, but my highest sellers, $3500 & $4000, were both bulls. I am prejudiced, but confident that we have two or three cows as good as any top donor in the nation. I would be hard pressed to even price my favorite cows, but I don't see why any show heifer should sell for over $5000. My 2 Cents..........

Maybe not but if someone came to you ranch with money in hand would you take it??

To all you Simmental breeders out there that produce national champions percay saying 5K for a show heifer is rediculous in some ppls eyes yes, But if that heifer has a certain value that you think it might hold in your herd then who is to contradict you? I know in the Simmi business it's hard very hard to find any heifer or cow that has any Meyer 734 influence in them at all so when you do find them your willing to pay big bucks for it,to bring that animal to your herd, and thats what i look for is replacement females with the Meyer 734 influence to bring to my herd and I will pay alot of money for them end of story since I haven't found any place out there that sells Meyer 734 semen or embryos t a decent price im willing to pay to bring those animals to my herd cause they will benefit me. Now for show heifers no thats another story all together if someone else can breed that heifer so can you not identical but jsut as good if not better. So yes for a show heifer 5K is rediculous but for a breeding animal no it's not rediculous at all.

bolsen":33znldti said:
To all you Simmental breeders out there that produce national champions percay saying 5K for a show heifer is rediculous in some ppls eyes yes, But if that heifer has a certain value that you think it might hold in your herd then who is to contradict you? I know in the Simmi business it's hard very hard to find any heifer or cow that has any Meyer 734 influence in them at all so when you do find them your willing to pay big bucks for it,to bring that animal to your herd, and thats what i look for is replacement females with the Meyer 734 influence to bring to my herd and I will pay alot of money for them end of story since I haven't found any place out there that sells Meyer 734 semen or embryos t a decent price im willing to pay to bring those animals to my herd cause they will benefit me. Now for show heifers no thats another story all together if someone else can breed that heifer so can you not identical but jsut as good if not better. So yes for a show heifer 5K is rediculous but for a breeding animal no it's not rediculous at all.

if you can breed a show heifer that looks as good as anyone else, why can't you breed a female that produces as good as someone else?

becase getting ahold of the semen or embryos is alot harder then going out and actually buying the heifers or cows it's easier to see what your getting yourself into. Your seeing the stock first hand and alot of times it's a spur of the moment type decision and thats what it's based upon. And most place won't even sell any Meyer 734 semen anymore because it is so rare so thats why I don't breed one. And unfortunetly the embryos i have had haven't given me a bull out of him but I am looking for one and when i find one im going to pay alot for it which is ok

bolsen":u68ieclx said:
becase getting ahold of the semen or embryos is alot harder then going out and actually buying the heifers or cows it's easier to see what your getting yourself into. Your seeing the stock first hand and alot of times it's a spur of the moment type decision and thats what it's based upon. And most place won't even sell any Meyer 734 semen anymore because it is so rare so thats why I don't breed one. And unfortunetly the embryos i have had haven't given me a bull out of him but I am looking for one and when i find one im going to pay alot for it which is ok

i'm not talking about Meyer 734. what i'm saying is if you run so many head & know so much, maybe you could produce your own Olsen 734 or whatever you want to call it instead of chasing someone else's breeding program and genetics. comprende?

No it's not even about that you have it all wrong. Im trying to keep the line allive because it's one of the most powerful cow families in the simmi breed today. It doesn't matter if you got 30 head or 10,000 your breeding program is your own and no one can try to change that or influence that comprende. And im not saying that i know everything but i know what works for me and i know what makes me money and that line of cattle pays for itself so you can knock me all you want but thats not real professional unless you think it is then yo need to find a new business cause people like you are the ones that ruin this great business for people who actually care

txag":37wpw9qh said:
.....maybe you could produce your own Olsen 734 or whatever you want to call it instead of chasing someone else's breeding program and genetics.

bolsen":37wpw9qh said:
No it's not even about that you have it all wrong.......so you can knock me all you want but thats not real professional unless you think it is then yo need to find a new business cause people like you are the ones that ruin this great business for people who actually care
bolsen, I think txag asked you a legitimate question. Why be so defensive instead of providing a simple answer? Why not spend all of that big money and resources of your's developing something of your own?

You've already gotten off to a bad start around here as evidenced by this post from another Topic:
bolsen":37wpw9qh said:
You know I really don't care how much credibility anyone has around here. Fact of the matter is that I know what I am talking about and I was simply replying to the post and if you don't like what you read and think it's BS then don't read it. i know it's true and so do all the people that work for me. So your opinions do not matter let alone count. I've been raising show cattle for a long time.......
It could be that you are the one that needs to work at establishing some credibility around here! txag has already passed that test over and over again! So, you'd better think again if you think people like txag are "the ones that ruin this great business for people who actually care." So far, you've managed to prove that you're nothing but talk and hot air! That is subject to change, of course. But, its up to you.

You don't have to run others down to make yourself look big. Nobody cares how many cattle you run. Nobody even asked you when you started all your bragging. People that are still dreaming about owning their first cow have already contributed a lot more to these Boards than you have! Why don't you back off a little bit and start giving a little more thought to credibility?

Bolsen, I agree with Texan here. Sounds like you might have potential to be a benefit to this forum. Maybe you ought to just sit back, kick your feet up and grab yourself a good beverage. In other words...come and sit a spell. Get to know us and give us a chance to get to know you. We will all be better off.

bolsen":2kmepla8 said:
So yes for a show heifer 5K is rediculous but for a breeding animal no it's not rediculous at all.

All the show heifer's that I have ever bought, go into our breeding herd. It's no different then buying the breeding heifer for the genetics that it brings to the herd, I buy show heifer's for their genetics. Don't you think that some of those breeding heifer's that you buy for your herd could be sold and used by other's for show heifer's?

Ok maybe yall are right, What I was saying about my herd of cattle wasn't meant as bragging I was jsut simply stating It's not hard to halter break a large number of animals, Yeah I could of came accross it in a diferent manner I know that. And im sorry if I offended any of you but yall never did really give me a chance to explain anything instead of asking questions all yall just assumed that what I was saying qwas a lie and if your not gonna listen to what I have to say then why should I respect any of your credibility. And if yall saw my operation the you'd know that theres alot more to it then what i've said in this forum but yall wont give me a chance to explain it so therefore why should I respect what yall say. I am a true cattle man have been all my life for generations our family have been raising cattle. Now I didn't come on this forum to disrespect no body but yall never did give me a chance.

bolsen":2wz4e8nc said:
Ok maybe yall are right... I could of came accross it in a diferent manner I know that. And im sorry if I offended any of you...

Appology accepted on my end. But I can't speak for every one else. Takes a big man to back out of a corner like that. :cboy: :cboy:

I show dairy heifers and i will normally pay up to $6,000 Canadian.

Latest posts