Show Heifer Prospect (Updated Pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

She's a very good heifer, she already appears deeper in these pics compared to the previous ones, that will continue to change with maturity. My only concern would be that she is slightly extreme in size, that might not be a issue at all as I have no idea what the other limflex heifers she'll show against will be frame wise.

She is still only a calf in a big body, once she really hits puberty her shape will change to be more broody.

by KNERSIE on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:36 am

She's a very good heifer, she already appears deeper in these pics compared to the previous ones, that will continue to change with maturity. My only concern would be that she is slightly extreme in size, that might not be a issue at all as I have no idea what the other limflex heifers she'll show against will be frame wise.

She is still only a calf in a big body, once she really hits puberty her shape will change to be more broody.
Thanks for your post Knersie, This heifer is slightly larger framed than I would like but as others we have had and like you said they kinda change and grow in stages. She seems to not be growing up as much as she is getting thicker and deeper at this stage. We will not see as many Limousin/LimFlex calves in our shows as there will be of other breeds . However I am curious to see some of the calves we competed against a couple of months ago. For one reason or another we have been unable to attend any shows and I want to see how the other calves have been managed. Thanks again, Bill

Circle H Ranch

Elsie_12_months.jpg

Hello Everyone. Thanks again for all the comments good and bad when I started this post back in Nov. I wanted to post an updated pic of our heifer. She is a year old today and I also wanted to update you on her weights. We feel like she has come a long way to get where she is today. Her weights are as follows... BW 64 AWW 697 and she should adjust to around 1117 on YW. We weighed her 11 days ago and she weighed 1085. She has gained just under 2.9 pounds per day since the day she was born. I would welcome any and all comments from previous people who posted as well as new comers and thank you in advance.

Circle H Ranch

I just checked out your website. You are raising some very high quality animals. I really liked that bull WEHH SINGULAR 323S, boy is he thick! Looks like he has great numbers too. I commend you on a great operation. One day I hope to be in your league. Nice looking family too. Oh, I really like the heifer too. If you get tired of her I'll drive down and get her :mrgreen:

Under ideal conditions you would try to have a show calf eating around 3% of their body weight. She has been eating around 12-15 pounds morning and at night at this age. Less than that when younger.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman 200-

I have declined to comment about your heifer since your original posting primarily because of my somewhat controversial opinion of the "Show Scene" scenarios concerning Beef Cattle Production protocols, but I will relent and reveal a few of my "neutral" opinions regarding this specific individual. I have no intention of stirring up an argument to throw into the 'mix', because that would be of no benefit to the subject at hand.

For any discussion and sharing of opinions, there should be established some 'ground rules' to anchor all participants on the same point of discourse. The necessary guideline in analysis , or judging, of an animal at the very outset is "For What Purpose is This Activity Being Performed?" In other words, what, exactly, are we considering here with this heifer? Is she going to be appraised as a 'feedlot' candidate whose ultimate goal is as a "Banquet Table" delicacy, or is she to be considered as an eventual seedstock matron for a breeding herd? Or - is she a - - - SHOW HEIFER! :clap: :tiphat: You have revealed to us that she is a Show Heifer, and ultimately may be utilized as an addition to your breeding cow herd, if I am not mistaken. Therefore, I shall consider her from that point of view.

She displays an outstanding phenotype to be placed in a Show String! She has a few little 'dings' here and there (as does EVERY animal - bovine or porcine or - HUMAN!), but overall she presents a very competitive appearance, and the 'dings' will switch and change on a daily basis as time progresses and she is entered in succeeding shows. In My Opinion, she is (and will be) a little large, framescore-wise, to fit the currently-accepted template for the ideal size seedstock producing female, but, being a LimFlex, that is just what she is, so one must accept that as gospel, and go from there insofar as future bull selections are concerned for her ultimate progeny. She may mature at six years of age in the 1300 pound bracket, and if that is the case she would be well in the acceptable ball park for an economical producer, being mated to a Genetically moderate sized bull. Would that EVERY cow in one's herd would be that desirable! Not being privy to all of her Growth, Maternal, Carcass and $Value EPD's, any estimation along those lines would be conjecture.

Taking everything into consideration from these pictures, and what you have revealed to us statistically, this is a formidable candidate for a show heifer, and if managed correctly after her show career, could be a winner in the seedstock arena as well!

I also would like to comment on the obviously well done job that the attractive handler has accomplished with this heifer. She has learned a great many subtle tricks in regard to presenting this heifer, not the least of which is her ability to RELAX in presenting her to advantage! The way that she holds the show stick, and her own body language is exemplary. Congratulations. The emotions and innermost feelings and attitude of the handler travels directly through the "hands" and lead rope to the Nervous System of the animal, and they pick-up on those sensitivities and trepidations and react accordingly. I can detect a difference in her control of the heifer from the original picture last November to the most recent one on the latter posts.

Good luck with this heifer in the future, and as a LimFlex she should make an outstanding herd matron for a Crossbreeding protocol program!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Australian, Showmomof2, Jovid for your posts and Thanks for you kind words Hoss about my program, family and cattle. Doc, I especially appreciate your complimentary comments. I have been trying to take our program to a different level and I am getting close to doing that I feel. What I mean by that is after a lifetime in the cattle business and 19 years in Limousin and a couple of years in Angus cattle during the past two to three years I have been raising the kind of cattle I have always wanted to raise. Its a hard thing to do overnight and I have done it by trial and error and hard work basically(not to mention a lot of expense!!) . Although I am not there just yet my program is trending all Homo Black and Homo Polled. I like the red cattle also but I have to grow what I can sell here and I get about 25-1 calls for blacks vs. reds. Especially on bulls and during the past few years more and more they are looking for Homo Black. I have put toghther over the years now about 10 HB HP donors and my plan is to raise all HB HP with the exception of maybe just a few animals. I am also looking at all the numbers and trying to make it complete with my matings to have strong traits and EPD`s all the way through. Anyway, thank you all for your posts. Keep them coming please. I would like to hear from some of the others that posted earlier and get their opinions on how they feel the heifer is progressing. Come on Knersie, Avalon and others !

Circle H Ranch

Nice heifer. Liked her from the first pics and you are doing a great job raising her.
I have to comment on CPL's comment about her brisket not dropping down to her knees???? :shock:
I have no idea what he is looking for. This is not an old brood cow. I have never seen a heifer with her brisket down to her knees. Anyone else understand that comment? I like deep chested cattle, but this is still a calf! (yearling now).
Good luck at the shows.
Wish I had that GRASS!

My comments are pretty much the same as it was back in November, she'll still develope a lot more, at the moment she could have been slightly deeper chested if I really have to find fault, but she is a later maturing type so you can't read too much into that. She has a very good shape to her hindquarter, very correct, oustanding condition and very well cared for. She'll do well in the showring.

Looks a little too straight up front and needs some extension in the neck. Is just a touch pinched in the heart girth..... but overall those are very nit picking items.... you've got a nice heifer. Definitely something to be proud of.

I see she is still looking good Bill, can't wait to see her in person again, hope I can make it back over there sometime soon or maybe see her at the show.

Latest posts