Show/Club Calf Producers

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
For my last year in 4-H, I'm thinking about buying a show steer, just to see what'll happen. I've looked on the internet but I need opinions from people. Can you guys help me out? I have about 3-4 years left before my last year is here. Just tell me what places you think have good calves. I prefer places in the western US since that's where I live. Thanks guys!

P.S. No offence to you hereford showers but I do not want a hereford calf. I just dislike them. I like the Angus, Maine, Charolais, Chiannina, and the popular show-calf breed crosses. I also like the sire "All About You" a bunch as well.

Angus Cattle Girl":gohx9dzr said:
For my last year in 4-H, I'm thinking about buying a show steer, just to see what'll happen. I've looked on the internet but I need opinions from people. Can you guys help me out? I have about 3-4 years left before my last year is here. Just tell me what places you think have good calves. I prefer places in the western US since that's where I live. Thanks guys!

P.S. No offence to you hereford showers but I do not want a hereford calf. I just dislike them. I like the Angus, Maine, Charolais, Chiannina, and the popular show-calf breed crosses. I also like the sire "All About You" a bunch as well.

I would think there should be some good Steer producers in Colorado! I would start by asking around locally. Ask your 4-H leaders, your FFA instructor, your Extension agent. If you are in 4-H they usually get flyer's of different club calf sales in your area.

You can find people in your area by surfing the sites the Bull lady mentioned.

If Oklahoma is not to far to drive let me know and I can suggest some places to get a good one in all kinds of different price ranges. You can PM me.

Angus Cattle Girl":3qvuyhx0 said:
Has anybody heard of Fillmore Club Calves? The link to their page is http://www.showsteers.com/Fillmore/Calves.htm. Check it out and tell me what you think of them.
They look like they have some nice calves. The problem is they don't have any info up on the calves they have for sale this year. That sale is from October 2005. I'd contact them and see what they have...it's definitely worth your while.

Jay

Angus Cattle Girl":33jmf84j said:
Why the heck is he all the way over in Japan? None of my business, that is. OK, thanks Jaydill
A school program took them over there. He posted it somewhere else.. I think maybe the coffee shop.

I think that Fillmore's have some pretty nice calves, although they can get to be pretty pricey. :shock:

Personally I hate buying calves from here in CO. I think that they get too tall and i don't really like the end result of them. :roll:

If you are willing to travel, there are some fairly decent places in Nebraska and Iowa. I have also had very very good luck with people in South Dakota. :D 8)

If you do want to say within Colorado, I would consider Fillmores, Colorado Club Calves (their pictures don't do the calves any justice, you have to see these in person), KA'BA, Yearous, and 7V. I wouldn't go to Gabel unless you want to spend like 2 grand on a steer.

I hope I helped out some!!! :p :p :cboy:

~Colorado~

Depends on what you want to spend in CO and what you want. I have been doing Business with Yearous for about 11 years now. I think his heifers make great momas and his calves are great for beginners and do place decent but I think they just aren't quite thick enough for todays show standards. Kaba is good if you want shorthorn crosses. If you were at stockshow this past year the big shorthorn that the 6 year old girl showed way my buddy that helps me clip and that calf was from kaba. Just hard to get in there and have the pick that some get. I think that sidwell has a pretty good calf for the pice at least about 3 years ago. That was the last time I was there. One thing I have done is go to the bigger ranches in the state and pick out calves. I have beaten a lot of high dollar calves that way and the price was good enough.

Latest posts