• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":23dqpvfx said:
Can't figure why this whole show thing is such a touchy subject! Can't commercial cattle people and show people get along or what? Or is it because show people supposedly are ruining the breeds? I am green so please help me understand. I didn't see any names mentioned when the offending cattle people terms were used either. Just my 2 cents,take it or leave it. ;-)

Sounds reasonible, but it will never happen. Showing and non-showing ingender such polarizing opinions that it's almost as bad as politics and religion for starting arguments.
A thicker skin helps, and just ignoring comments that you get mad about helps even more.

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2vm4uf8q said:
Ryder":2vm4uf8q said:
The boards were so pleasant earlier.
Maybe if they could stay that way more new people would come in to ask questions and share their knowledge.
There are some things that cross the line. PERSONAL ATTACKS are one of them. NUFF SAID

That's why Macon instituted the strike rule.
Seems like some people just can't play nice.

dun

Are you referring to money, genetics or what in asking if they bring value to the biz?

rgv4":nq7lk0q0 said:
Are you referring to money, genetics or what in asking if they bring value to the biz?

Both of the above.
Money: show cattle prices are unrealistic in the real world.

Genetics: most show cattle cannot milk well enough to wean a profitable calf. They are more often than not unsound. And they melt in the pasture when asked to work.

For those that arn't sure:
real world= not spending money on cattle that will not return a profit
profitable calf: weans from the cow at 1/2 the cow's weight with NO creep(see real world) need no meds or special attention, will bring a good $ at the sale.
melt in the pasture: show bulls that are too haevy and un-athletic enough to pasture breed, show heifers turned cows that cannot handle no grain and no fan

ANY questions, direct them to ME

My opinion on showing cattle is that it is a worthwhile endeavor. It brings to the attention of breeders outstanding animals. Would like to see less feed in them though.

Would like to have a straight out of the pasture show of say 10 year old cows. I like the kind that hold up well. But thinking about it my best looking cow out there is out of a show bull from a while back. With the insane name of He's Got the Look 40/2.

We first saw him as a calf at a show in Greenville and fell madly in love. We followed his show career and he continued to win Grand Champion time after time. Probably has one of the best showing records in Brahman history. He quickly became a Register of Renown Bull (which means his offspring win also)

I have seen lots and lots of bulls and cows (brahman) in shows and there are very few that I would like to have or breed to.

So if you can winnow out the chaff there are some jewels.

Caustic Burno":3o1nvz1b said:
rgv4":3o1nvz1b said:

Both of the above.
Money: show cattle prices are unrealistic in the real world.

Genetics: most show cattle cannot milk well enough to wean a profitable calf. They are more often than not unsound. And they melt in the pasture when asked to work.

For those that arn't sure:
real world= not spending money on cattle that will not return a profit
profitable calf: weans from the cow at 1/2 the cow's weight with NO creep(see real world) need no meds or special attention, will bring a good $ at the sale.
melt in the pasture: show bulls that are too haevy and un-athletic enough to pasture breed, show heifers turned cows that cannot handle no grain and no fan

ANY questions, direct them to ME

The money is great if you are selling them and I run cattle as a business to make money.

In my experience with show cattle, they have never had any problems in the pasture or adjusting to the pasture. About half of our registered herd, are former show heifers and they do just as well as the other cattle straight off the ranches. We run Registered Simbrah, we never use fans on the show cattle.

I do know though that alot of the British and Continental breeds that are kept in coolers or under fans to keep their hair on them, do not do well when put out in the pastures, especially in hot and humid climates.

But, as I have said it before, this is my opinion and experience that I have had.

My last bull was a Simm-Angus sired by a grand champion bull out of Denver off a good Simmental cow. His heifers are really pretty to look at. Hopefully they make good cows. As far as going with a straight show bull, I've heard that they can be unsound and have some bad characteristics brought up through the breeding. The other problem I have with show cattle is that occasionally you lose the characteristics in a breed that give it good utility. For example, the shorthorns have been bred to be big and beautiful but I wouldn't want to feed them on my farm. The old shorthorns were good milking beef cattle that raised good replacement calves. Try to find those kind of bloodlines anywhere in the shorthorn breed, and its difficult. So we've essentially lost the traits that made shorthorns good through breeding for show.

certherfbeef":ufjr8rk3 said:
My suggestion: keep the show talk on the show pages and let these good commercial cattlemen share their knowledge.

excellent suggestion. for those that don't know, some of the show pages are breedersworld.com showcattle.com showsteers.com & i believe tcca has a forum on their site as well.

Personally, the only reason I go to state/county fairs is to check out the livestock barns and watch the shows. It's the only place where there are all beef and dairy cattle breeds. It's a lot of work getting them there and I admire the people who can do it. I don't view it as a money venture, but being proud enough of your breed to show it off. I know about the fitting, feeding, fussing and finances that happens for a show. The folks who don't show their animals, they have just as important a place in the cattle biz. Their love, dedication and pride is no less. I do not have the confidence to show my bull now or the heifers I'm getting next year. As a newbie, showed doe goats at four shows few years ago. Was told I walked wrong and wore the wrong colors, just never got the hang of it and I really tried. So I stopped showing. But my heart didn't change. I'm not trying to be mean. I just like it when we can support each other, regardless of style. I hope this brings a smile to you folks :D

To all of you who have caused me to waste my time deleting your posts:

I am sick of this childish bickering. I am going to start banning people with a vengance. Either cut it out or go somewhere else. There are several other cattle boards available elsewhere.

I always thought it was mostly kids showing the cattle, didnt realize it was such a lucrative business till I started reading more catttle magazines and listening to folks in here.

Caustic Burno":28g67cqf said:
I think not
I'm with you on this one, CB. Count me as a no. Also have to agree with Dun when he said:
dun":28g67cqf said:
Showing and non-showing ingender such polarizing opinions that it's almost as bad as politics and religion for starting arguments.
Except, sometimes I think it may be worse than either politics or religion! That said, I sure think people should have the right to show if they want to. Its just a shame that some people think that shows represent the way things are in the real world.

M Gravlee":3hpvflll said:
To all of you who have caused me to waste my time deleting your posts:

I am sick of this childish bickering. I am going to start banning people with a vengance. Either cut it out or go somewhere else. There are several other cattle boards available elsewhere.
Some of the people who had posts removed from here NEVER cussed anyone out and only replied in a general manner and did not direct thier comments to any one named person. We stand to lose some respected and valued cattlemen over this. I do not disrespect your authority Macon but I ask you,is this fair?

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":23ghtgip said:
Some of the people who had posts removed from here.........
I'm not trying to question you either, Macon. However, I would like to offer up a capitalist idea for you to mull over. How about moving all the posts you delete to a pay-per-view deal so the rest of us can see them. That way you get a little something extra in the tip jar for all your trouble. Got my thinkin' cap on tonight, huh? ;-)

Ok.. I have a stupid question. How do y'all know posts were deleted? Was it based soley on Macon's post?

In reply to the original question.. I agree that this is a topic that people are just going to be on totally opposite sides on. But by the same token, we're all allowed to have an opinion, and I enjoy reading the other posts and seeing someone else's point of view.

I have to defend the previous post about former show bulls. I know I've mentioned this before, but we bought a bull that was shown at the majors, and he's been a good producer, doesn't require coddling (even though he's black, and we live in Texas!) and he's incredibly gentle to boot. I have a handful of former show heifers that are the same way.. but I have definitely seen the opposite, and I'm usually not anxious to buy a former show heifer for those very reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts