Show Cattle - For Beginners

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have had beef cattle for about a year and a half now. Herefords and angus. I currently grain finish out beef for clients of mine and have a few cow/calf pairs. I would like to have a few head for show. I would like to gain more knowledge about showing cattle. I understand that only heifers, cows, and bulls are shown correct? Steers are not, unless it is for a FFA project, correct? I have a good connection with our local guy that has done AI for me and he is willing to help me with this endeavor. Any other tips would be appreciated. I'd like to show angus.

All depends on your goal, you just showing for the fun of it or do you intend to win at all costs? I would caution that it is impossible to determine any economically important traits in the showring, so breed for profitable cattle regardless of winning or losing unless you have deep pockets.

You will have to contact someone from the show you intend to compete at for their rules.

Some of the breeds do have "market steer" classes for registered steers-check breed association websites. There is often a "show" category.

I have had beef cattle for about a year and a half now. Herefords and angus. I currently grain finish out beef for clients of mine and have a few cow/calf pairs. I would like to have a few head for show. I would like to gain more knowledge about showing cattle. I understand that only heifers, cows, and bulls are shown correct? Steers are not, unless it is for a FFA project, correct? I have a good connection with our local guy that has done AI for me and he is willing to help me with this endeavor. Any other tips would be appreciated. I'd like to show angus.
Steers are shown in ffa you have to buy a steer because ffa doesn't want people showing many bulls only casturated males

Latest posts