Show calves

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
I aksed this question in another topic, but I will start a new topic and expand on the question a little. The reason I'm asking these questions is because I got a call the other day from a women wanting to buy a hefier (Longhorn) for her 11 yr old daughter to show in a local county show (Texas). They are new to the show world it appears because she said it would be her daughter's first project. I am also new to the show world and am not sure what people on the show circuit are looking for. Although I don't plan on showing our cattle myself (because of time), I do think it is a good way to market your herd.

Do show heifiers/steers have to be registered with a breed association before they can be shown in Texas county shows, or shows such as Houston, Ft. Worth, etc?

What age animals are usually bought for showing?

If you're talking about a junior showing, it depends on where they want to show! The individual county shows have their own rules, but generally the heifers have to be registered, the steers don't.

When you get to the big shows.. Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Houston, that's a whole different deal. The best way to be sure is to talk to the extension agent or ag teacher.

In our county, you can't show longhorns in conjunction with 4H events or the county fair. They are afraid of what the horns could do. Also, most longhorns will never stack up to an Angus or Charolais at the county fair. Completely different body types. My recommendation is that they look for what shows well in your area and buy that. If they just love the longhorns and really want to show longhorns, they need to buy registered stock from someone who is successful in showing and show it at a registered longhorn show. The TLBAA publishes a show schedule. http://www.tlbaa.org/calendar.html

lazyhill":38zp89k5 said:
The TLBAA publishes a show schedule. http://www.tlbaa.org/calendar.html

Where can I find information on the requirements needed to enter an animal in one of the TLBAA or ITLBA sponsored shows? In other words, what makes an animal eligible for one of these shows? I looked at both their web sites, but couldn't find anything. I would assume an animal would have to be registered with the particular association and of a certain age, but beyond that, are there other requirements?

At one of the TLBAA sales, I thought I heard the auctioneer state that a heifer was "Millenium Futurity eliligable". What exactly does that mean?

Thanks for your help. Still trying to learn the in and outs of the registered cattle business and showing.

TXBobcat":2piqgvhn said:
lazyhill":2piqgvhn said:
The TLBAA publishes a show schedule. http://www.tlbaa.org/calendar.html

Where can I find information on the requirements needed to enter an animal in one of the TLBAA or ITLBA sponsored shows? In other words, what makes an animal eligible for one of these shows? I looked at both their web sites, but couldn't find anything. I would assume an animal would have to be registered with the particular association and of a certain age, but beyond that, are there other requirements?

At one of the TLBAA sales, I thought I heard the auctioneer state that a heifer was "Millenium Futurity eliligable". What exactly does that mean?

Thanks for your help. Still trying to learn the in and outs of the registered cattle business and showing.

i'm not at all familiar w/the longhorn association but many other associations have someone in charge of junior activities. you might want find out if the longhorn association has such a person.....they would probably be your best source of information.

First of all the 2 primary Longhorn breed associations, ITLA and TLBAA have their own rules and standards. Their membership "rule" book has the details. Otherwise, contact the assoc. for showing info.

Second, yes, a lot of people are afraid of HORNS...this fear is probably based on bulls and mean cows of the continental, european, and other composite breeds...aka...mean jersey bulls, etc. The Longhorn people routinely show the horned animals, even the young kids. We ourselves routinely walk up to, past, and next ours with no problems...even walk a 36" horned bull thru a 6 foot alley, and PASS the bull while he tilts his horns out of the way. If you breed calm, gentle temperament Longhorns you can do this! We even pick up newborn calves in front of their Mama and weigh them with no problems.

Next, I would doubt that the average County Extension Agent or 4-H Leader would have a clue as to what the show requirements for any animal, especially Longhorns, that had not been raised as "Club" calves. Our own experience is that if you want any relevant info, contact another quality breeder or one of the associations...don't mess with the "county" people...except have coffee with them or attend a local BBQ. The longhorn breeders that show are the important ones to get to know and "pick their brain" as well as attend some shows and mingle with the breeders for insights.

TXBobcat":15ogtuar said:
I aksed this question in another topic, but I will start a new topic and expand on the question a little. The reason I'm asking these questions is because I got a call the other day from a women wanting to buy a hefier (Longhorn) for her 11 yr old daughter to show in a local county show (Texas). They are new to the show world it appears because she said it would be her daughter's first project. I am also new to the show world and am not sure what people on the show circuit are looking for. Although I don't plan on showing our cattle myself (because of time), I do think it is a good way to market your herd.

Do show heifiers/steers have to be registered with a breed association before they can be shown in Texas county shows, or shows such as Houston, Ft. Worth, etc?

What age animals are usually bought for showing?

Yes...the associations only let you show an animal that is registered with THEIR association....

Latest posts