Do we need a Show Talk Board?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jake

Reaction score
we've got a board for everything else, and the show talk seems to take away from some of the "normal" discussion. Just wanted to get an opinion from everybody and maybe we could convince Macon to make another one if he has enough server space ;-)

I have to vote a yes here also. I just bought a show heifer that is already halter broke, etc. I am a little too old to join 4-H ;-) but I would like to show her, and have a ton of questions, but didn't want to bore anyone by asking.
Great idea!!!

I like this idea Jake, that way guys like Texan and Camp don't have to listen to folks like TSM and rgv4. They can simply mark all topics read, and be done with it.

There are several other forums that have show boards. Don't see that it would contribute anything constructive to this forum. If you're not interested in a subject, don't read it. Seems a pretty simple solution to me.

dun

certherfbeef":2skxdwg9 said:
I like this idea Jake, that way guys like Texan and Camp don't have to listen to folks like TSM and rgv4. They can simply mark all topics read, and be done with it.

I agree with you certherfbeef. There are many on this board that would like a little more info on showing cattle, and as the Cattle Today boards are the best out there, a Show Cattle board would have the potential of bringing more people with more ideas on show cattle and showing cattle.
I think it's a great idea.
Lets go for it Macon!!!!!

Back in the timeframe that Cattle Pages boards were very active they started a show board. Never really did get the play that I would have expected.

dun

well, most every topic spins of on show at one point or another now. and with the mass number of people on here that show there should be enough traffic to justify the use.

dun":2t59gov4 said:
Back in the timeframe that Cattle Pages boards were very active they started a show board. Never really did get the play that I would have expected.

dun
Cattle Today probaly will. Cattle Pages some times doesn't any new post for 2 or more days in a row. Hard to be successful at that rate.

I'm sure you guys already know this but I think a show board is a GREAT idea! What do you say Macon???? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

certherfbeef":v87m6ij5 said:
.....guys like Texan and Camp don't have to listen to folks like TSM and rgv4........
:D Can't speak for Campground, but sounds good to me, Cert. Ummm..... You promise? ;-)

Jake, I vote yes even though I have some reservations. I guess I look at it kinda like baitin' a hog trap in a hay meadow. If I put out a lot of corn and get more hogs in my meadow than I had, I guess that's okay as long as they all go in the trap. But, if I get more in than I had and they don't all go in the trap and then they just start rootin' around everywhere and messin' up even more of my place, I feel like I'm worse off. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, I feel like we have some very knowledgable showpeople on these Boards. If we provide a place for them to help the kids and parents who need their help, I think we've done a great service to future cattlemen. And at the same time we keep the show talk off of the other Boards so that it doesn't interfere with the "normal" discussion, like Jake mentioned. I don't know. Maybe it'll work........

Texan":21mt82mr said:
Jake, I vote yes even though I have some reservations. I guess I look at it kinda like baitin' a hog trap in a hay meadow. If I put out a lot of corn and get more hogs in my meadow than I had, I guess that's okay as long as they all go in the trap. But, if I get more in than I had and they don't all go in the trap and then they just start rootin' around everywhere and messin' up even more of my place, I feel like I'm worse off. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, I feel like we have some very knowledgable showpeople on these Boards. If we provide a place for them to help the kids and parents who need their help, I think we've done a great service to future cattlemen. And at the same time we keep the show talk off of the other Boards so that it doesn't interfere with the "normal" discussion, like Jake mentioned. I don't know. Maybe it'll work........

excellent scenario, Texan. i totally agree. with google now picking up these boards, there might be lots more "hogs" coming over. while we have some excellent young posters on here now, my reservations of a show board come from some of the other show sites......you get questions like "who's the hottest show chick?" "who's the hottest show boy?" "who's the best judge?" "i had a show steer born w/totally crippled back legs & i can't understand why" "i bought a steer who the owners had drugged up when i bought him so i didn't notice he couldn't walk, what do i do now?" "do people really air calves?" "blah, blah, blah"

we have to ask ourselves "are we prepared for these kind of discussions on this site?"

my reservations of a show board come from some of the other show sites......you get questions like "who's the hottest show chick?" "who's the hottest show boy?" "who's the best judge?" "i had a show steer born w/totally crippled back legs & i can't understand why" "i bought a steer who the owners had drugged up when i bought him so i didn't notice he couldn't walk, what do i do now?" "do people really air calves?" "blah, blah, blah"

we have to ask ourselves "are we prepared for these kind of discussions on this site?"

I am very much into the whole "show thing" and I don't like those kinds of posts either. I would hope that if we got a show board we wouldn't have this problem.

txshowmom":5epyakmi said:
I would hope that if we got a show board we wouldn't have this problem.

Remember the old adage about hoping in one hand and...............

dun

dun":2x6ylc97 said:
There are several other forums that have show boards.

dun

Yes there are Dun. And we have asked them to take the show talk to those boards, posted the links and everything. But it hasn't happened and I don't think it will.

dun":2x6ylc97 said:
If you're not interested in a subject, don't read it.
dun

Now come on Dun. It gets kinda hard for Texan to not read the show stuff when it is interjected into almost every thread. Let commercial cattleman be commercial cattleman and don't make them sort through the show stuff.

I agree with Txag, there are bound to be some stupid posts like on the other boards. Maybe the moderators will help us out there.

Dun, I have noticed that this is not the first new board you have shot down. I bet you would have argued over the sales board too but Macon didn't give you the chance. (unless you know something we don't)
Are you getting to the age that too much change scares you??? We are not all Guru's and I value most of your opinions but you are hard headed arn't you.

Now come on Dun. It gets kinda hard for Texan to not read the show stuff when it is interjected into almost every thread. Let commercial cattleman be commercial cattleman and don't make them sort through the show stuff.

Why can't we all get along as "cattle raisers"? Why do we have to divide the industry into "show people" and "commercial people"? Most people that show cattle are also commercial cattleman. Cows are cows. The eat the same, drink the same, and poop the same.

txshowmom":1v95nauo said:
Why can't we all get along as "cattle raisers"? Why do we have to divide the industry into "show people" and "commercial people"? Most people that show cattle are also commercial cattleman. Cows are cows. The eat the same, drink the same, and poop the same.

We can't get along as "cattle raisers" because there has become too much of a gap between functional cattle and show cattle. I know you say that your cattle are no different from your show string to your comercial herd BUT, too many people's cattle are. No matter how hard you try, guys like Texan will never understand the "show" world. And from what I can tell...never will want to. There has been a few bad eggs in the show business that has given all the honest breeders a bad name. There is nothing you or anyone else can do about it. But now you have to accect the fact that there is a difference and for now on there will always be a difference.

Latest posts