show barn

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wanting to convert an old hog barn with a concrete floor to a cattle show barn, it has a drainage ditch at the back of each pen . If I bed the pens with shavings could this be siutable for a show barn. Its about 28' wide and about 50' long. The barn is built on a slab , no slats or pits .I kinda think it could be used. the concrete floor concerns me. I would easliy have a built in wash pit already. I would have to remove the old penning that is in there now , it was for sows. Please give me some opinions.what size pen does a individual heifer or young bull need?

[email protected]

Clean your barn real good... floors, walls. If I am not mistaken, pigs carry some things that pass through the digestive system that can be injurious to cattle -- same for chickens. A stall that is twelve by twelve has been a good size for the two year old steer we finished out last year, and he was almost HUGE! I'm interested in what a show barn is. shavings and straw should be a good cushion for that cement floor, but will you be able to allow the animal out on to the ground? Hmmmm.... I think that I have seen some dairies that have cows that never touch soil while they are milking. Perhaps cement floors aren't that big a deal, and they sure do clean up well, don't they? Easily sanitized, etc.

[email protected]

We have an old dairy barn, concrete floor. We gutted it & built 10 x 12 pens, with a 7' alleyway down the middle. We put hydrate lime down on the concrete everytime we clean it out prior to calving (and many times in-between). We bed with fine wood chips, and bedding is kept clean at all times like at a show. We use the pens for calving. Then it is used for our showstring. We drilled holes in the concrete block walls and inserted eye ring bolts every 3' so we can cross tie our showstring. We also have our work chute at one end of the barn in the alley way. Jeanne Simme Valley in NY <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>
> I was wanting to convert an old
> hog barn with a concrete floor to
> a cattle show barn, it has a
> drainage ditch at the back of each
> pen . If I bed the pens with
> shavings could this be siutable
> for a show barn. Its about 28'
> wide and about 50' long. The barn
> is built on a slab , no slats or
> pits .I kinda think it could be
> used. the concrete floor concerns
> me. I would easliy have a built in