Show Barn, Loafing Shed

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I am working on the plans for a new show barn or maybe a loafing shed design. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I want to be able to tie up or pen up to 6 head in it at a max probably 4 or 5 most of the time. Something to Tie them up in the shad on a daily basis with fans on them. But then have an area for chute and supplies to clip on out of the weather.

I was thinking maybe something like a three sided shed maybe 25 x 20 with 10' ceiling. Tie out spots along back and then an area out in front that could be for chute and supplies.

Any suggestions or pictures would be appreciated. Of existing systems.

iowahawkeyes":1pefq892 said:
sent pics to your email.

That is an awesome show barn you have! Thanks for the Pics. Might be a little our to my price range on this one. But it is for sure the dream type show barn.

Do you have any problems with tying the calves up on cement and wood chips?

could you send pics to me as well? Thanks.
We have a 3 sided barn with 15 foot ceilings. It is 30 x 20 and we are trying to figure out what the best configuration would be. It has a sidewalk (3 foot wide that runs along the front of 20' of it). We would like to tie during the day and turn out at night. Also, need an area for trim chute etc right now. Would like to add a covered area next to our wash rack that is connected to the current barn.

We debated whether or not to cement the whole thing. I'm glad we did b/c it makes it easier to clean out. I would have added a gutter of some sort so the pee would filter down.

We have the chips pretty deep 8-12" deep so it's not really a problem on feet and legs.

We built the barn in 2004 (after a good crop year) and we wish we would have done it sooner. It did cost a lot but it is a dream in the winter for getting calves ready. We have bad winters and a lot of time are not able to get the calves ready properly. It's nice in the summer too of course, we have a 5 ton heat pump and it runs cheap.

The barn is 35 x 45' by Morton Buildings. The office kind of evolved. We didn't know if we were going to have seperate rooms but a guy in town was giving away those windows and the door so that saved a ton of money. I'd say its 14 x 16'. We use it for our sale on Labor Day and break room.

iowahawkeyes":1tsuxs0d said:
The barn is 35 x 45' by Morton Buildings. The office kind of evolved. We didn't know if we were going to have seperate rooms but a guy in town was giving away those windows and the door so that saved a ton of money. I'd say its 14 x 16'. We use it for our sale on Labor Day and break room.

10 ft or 12 ft ceiling?

aplusmnt":1x571kbb said:
iowahawkeyes":1x571kbb said:

10 ft or 12 ft ceiling?
I think 11' (I'm a woman, I really don't pay attention) :D

Iowahawk - real nice!
I just posted a thread in Everything Else board, asking advice for the flooring of a new barn. I would appreciate you going to that board & put down your opinions.
Putting up a 40 x 50 steel quonset style building. Will have large opening at both ends. One end will be for machinery (tractor, quad, lawn mower, etc) so mud will be an issue.
Other end will be for cattle - calving pens, so manure & urine & water will be an issue.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2h4i956h said:
Iowahawk - real nice!
I just posted a thread in Everything Else board, asking advice for the flooring of a new barn. I would appreciate you going to that board & put down your opinions.
Putting up a 40 x 50 steel quonset style building. Will have large opening at both ends. One end will be for machinery (tractor, quad, lawn mower, etc) so mud will be an issue.
Other end will be for cattle - calving pens, so manure & urine & water will be an issue.

The other suggestions were just fine. If your put concrete in make sure you have a strong slope for water drainage.

One thing we figured out fast is that 35 x 45 it's near as big as you think. Our first intention was to have a working chute on one half and the show cattle on the other. When they put the stakes in the ground we changed our minds.

Wow I want one of those thats just the size for my herd of 8000000000000 JK I wish I could afford to feed that many but really How many pens are you gonna put in there or is it like a dairy barn of some sort?

we have it split up in parts. 40x40 feed storage because i deal cattle feed, 30x40 for grooming chutes and washin,70x50 for my 25 sows and then my show pigs, 70x20 for trailers, and then 70x110 for my show cavles and my 16 horses. the 70x110 has 36 stalls. the 70x50 has 15 farrowing crtae 10 weaning pens and 4 finishing pens, and 4 gestion stalls. it costted a big pretty penny

we have it split up in parts. 40x40 feed storage because i deal cattle feed, 30x40 for grooming chutes and washin,70x50 for my 25 sows and then my show pigs, 70x20 for trailers, and then 70x110 for my show cavles and my 16 horses. the 70x110 has 36 stalls. the 70x50 has 15 farrowing crtae 10 weaning pens and 4 finishing pens, and 4 gestion stalls. it costted a big pretty penny

Keep in mind your environment when you make your plans. Here in Texas I was most concerned with air circulation and ventilation.

I just built a barn that's 24 x 30 with a concrete floor, with two roll up doors on each side, and it has a 36' overhang with southern exposure.

The best thing we did was make it TALL.. the doors are 14' high, so I'm going to guess the peak is probably 20'. It really makes the air flow through nicely.

I'll take a pic this evening if I think about it and post it. It was relatively inexpensive too. I've seen barns that are VERY expensive.. the highest priced ones seem to be the Mortons.

Latest posts