Shouldnt salebarns identify "Freemartins"?

Help Support CattleToday:

chiefgriz

Reaction score
O.K., I realize now that I got snookered when I bought what I thought was a sound holstein heifer. I spent $360 dollars for the calf, and bought feed for my brother-in-laws Holstein cow to nurse mine and his calf (also the time involved for letting them in and out of the pen to nurse ect,,). On top of that, I told my 7 year old daughter this would be her calf since it wasnt a steer and wouldnt be going to the sale. I mainly bought this calf to raise her to be a nurse cow so I could buy a newborn angus heifer every time she had one to slowly build me a 3 or 4 cow herd. Financially, this has hurt me a little plus now I have to wait until his Holstein calves again to start over. Anyhow, why are the sale barns not required to let the buyers know when the calf is a freemartin (nothing free about mine). I have only been to a few sales, but I asked the employees what the tags meant, ie.. heifer, bull, medicated ect. No one said a darn thing about the possibility of a heifer being a freemartin. I had never heard about such a thing. If you buy a older heifer or cow that is open, then I know what to expect. To me, that goes without saying, but to mislead someone about being a normal heifer is just plain wrong. I suppose it should also be the sellers responsibilty to inform the sale barn that the calf was a twin in a heifer/bull set. Is there any action I can take against the sale barn or the original owner. If not, what should I do to recoop as much money as possible? Sell her now, (4 months old) or keep her till she gets bigger. I am extremely bummed out over this....

Unless the seller tells them how are they to know? Most barns around my area will try to ID all flaws but no one is perfect.

Scotty

That is why you do not buy replacement females at a weekly auction barn sale. You do not know any history about the animal and sometimes you get stuck with animals like a freemartin. If you want to buy a heifer that should be a breeder go to a local producer or a sale were they quarentee the heifer to be fertile or they make it right if she can not be breed. You will pay more for the heifer, but that is better than your daughter crying because you have to sell her heifer.

Matt

Buying at the barn. Well, schitzen happens.

First - sit down and tell your daughter that this is the cattle business. She will see and hear and even do things that she will not like - but if she is to get into the business she must harden herself to the set backs.

I had two very young daughters when we started out - so do not get into the soft soap stuff - tell her straight up - she is young but not stupid I can assure you.

The facts of life when presented to the young'uns is something that we tend not to do often enough - but you might be surprized when you do it.

Then, decide to sell it or feed it out - either will work and in the end you will have made the decision that fits you and the family.

Now it is time to take a trip down the road to a local barn or two - or find someone who knows someone that can go with you - and buy something that works for you.

Any larger beef breeders in the area may part with orphans as well. Personally I detest raising bottle babies - and will usually part with them in a heartbeat - too much time and effort required for the return - and it certainly cuts down on the time that can be spent with the other animals.

Most large working ranches that I have been associated with are not averse to tossing a bottle baby - if they have one - to someone like you.

Now funny story for you to illustrate small kids and old folks.

Two sets of VERY straight laced grandparents sitting at the kitchen table with a few very citified folks added for good measure.

My oldest daughter - then around 6 years of age - or whatever - this happened some time back - she was looking through a stud book.

"Dad this bull looks good. He has a decent scrotal circumference and his semen is going for $XXX per straw. Maybe we should get some and breed him to Number XXX - we might get a real nice heifer calf out of her. Then we could sell or kill that damm old bull."

I still grin when I think of the look on the faces of those women sitting there at that Sunday morning brunch.

Have fun and do not get too worked up about YOUR mistakes - the business will kill you if you do.

Bez!

Matt you are so right . If you want to get taken just buy at the sale barn. About 10 years ago i bought 7 bred cows. No age markings or any thing else execpt months bred. Got them home and 4 had no teeth and one was just crazy. Was pretty mad because i only did bussness with this sale barn. To say the least that is the last time i bought anything at this or any sale barn. I buy from local ranches that i know some thing about. A little more history on this. In oct. went to a reg. angus sale. Bought 2 good bred hiefers. One due in Jan and one in Feb. The one due in feb abouted friday. Called the ranch up and told them about it. So they could checK on the rest. They said we sold you a cow and calve . You now have a credit for half the cost of the cow at the next sale in oct. You can't go wrong with this type .

It is common knowledge that a salebarn is "Buyer Beware".

You learned a lesson. You might try buying from a reputable purebred breeder next time. You will have some insurance then.

Well, sorry to say it this way, but welcome to the world of sale barns and the folks that buy and sell at these things. Unless you are buying stockers , feeders, you are likely getting some one elses problems or rejects.

First of all , it's pretty much a given fact.....you are not likely to find many Holstien heifer calves being sold at the sale, UNLESS there IS something wrong with it................No dairyman in his right mind would send a heifer to the beef sale barn to get lower prices then he could get from either another dairyman, or a special dairy sale. There are of course exceptions, but very few.

I take a load of heifers to a sale in New Holland Pa. (1,200 miles RT) about twice a year, there is a weekly dairy sale there, and trust me , they check them over very well. They tube the uterus, do a vet check etc. because a genuine dairy cow or heifer is worth a bit more then beef these days.

I have brought home a few of my own heifer calves in the past that were to small to tube (freemartins), I sold them later at a beef sale barn. I have even picked up a few there that we freemartins that sold for less then beef prices, and brough em home to resell as beef or through a beef sale.

As far as finding a good breedable heifer, there are a few things that an amateur can do to try and have a better chance of getting a good one.

Look closely at the teets, if they are very small or nearly non-existant, this is often a good indication that it is a freemartin,
gently put an unsharpened pencil, or back of a 'stick' type pen into the vaginal canal, it it does not go at least 3/4 of the way in, it again may be a good indication of a free martin.

Better luck next time :cboy:

Like i said the ones I go to and have been to all point out obvious flaws. And they all say the same thing. "Buy them like you see them."

Scotty

Hey Chief, when & how did you decide you have a free martin?
Did I miss part of your post?

Anyway if she was mine & a free martin I'd keep her for a little while, put a few pounds on her and then sell her. Take that cash to get another calf.

;-)

chiefgriz":3pj7a6t9 said:
O.K., I realize now that I got snookered when I bought what I thought was a sound holstein heifer. I spent $360 dollars for the calf, and bought feed for my brother-in-laws Holstein cow to nurse mine and his calf (also the time involved for letting them in and out of the pen to nurse ect,,). On top of that, I told my 7 year old daughter this would be her calf since it wasnt a steer and wouldnt be going to the sale. I mainly bought this calf to raise her to be a nurse cow so I could buy a newborn angus heifer every time she had one to slowly build me a 3 or 4 cow herd. Financially, this has hurt me a little plus now I have to wait until his Holstein calves again to start over. Anyhow, why are the sale barns not required to let the buyers know when the calf is a freemartin (nothing free about mine). I have only been to a few sales, but I asked the employees what the tags meant, ie.. heifer, bull, medicated ect. No one said a darn thing about the possibility of a heifer being a freemartin. I had never heard about such a thing. If you buy a older heifer or cow that is open, then I know what to expect. To me, that goes without saying, but to mislead someone about being a normal heifer is just plain wrong. I suppose it should also be the sellers responsibilty to inform the sale barn that the calf was a twin in a heifer/bull set. Is there any action I can take against the sale barn or the original owner. If not, what should I do to recoop as much money as possible? Sell her now, (4 months old) or keep her till she gets bigger. I am extremely bummed out over this....

Its buyer beware if you are not an experienced cattleman best to stay away from the salebarn, or take an oldtimer with you. Lots of good buys at the barn right now with the drought and hay shortage but you better have a sharp eye. No one mislead you at the salebarn you bought an open cow first mistake and that was yours.

The auction barn I bought the heifer from was considered a dairy sale. I called them and told them what I was looking for and they told me what day they designated as dairy sale, holsteins, gersey ect... Is it customary for the sale barn to do the dipstick test when auctioning newborn heifers? It wont happen to me again, but there should be some sort of retribution if it is common practice to check for the condition.

1st off when you buy baby heifer calves of any breed your at risk of getting a freemartin.b/c they are from a twin bull/heifer combo.an no one knows if the calves was twins.2nd theres no way on earth to check baby heofers to see if they are freemartins.the way you know they are freemartins is at 4 months their teats will just be buttons tight to their bag.scott

Of course I bought an open cow (actually heifer). It was 3 days old.... I would never have bought a grown heifer or a cow for that matter if she was open, unless I was buying a pair.

chiefgriz":2w960d24 said:
The auction barn I bought the heifer from was considered a dairy sale. I called them and told them what I was looking for and they told me what day they designated as dairy sale, holsteins, gersey ect... Is it customary for the sale barn to do the dipstick test when auctioning newborn heifers? It wont happen to me again, but there should be some sort of retribution if it is common practice to check for the condition.

I traded a guy foy a dairy mixed cow a few years ago, it was a weaned calf at the time. Not his fault but the cow turned out to be nuts, just a soon run over you as anything else. She wasn't mean just a nut, ran through fences. When it ran over my 70 yr old dad and then my mom in the period of 1 minute. I went for the gun, my wife talked me out of it and you know where it went the next sale day... yea buyer beware. My wife saved my a 30/06 shell and we made somewhere over $400.

Alan

I didint purchase an open cow, I purchased a 3 day old heifer. Of course she was open. I would never buy a grown heifer or a cow that was open, unless I was purchasing a pair.

chiefgriz":3pzgtjek said:
I didint purchase an open cow, I purchased a 3 day old heifer. Of course she was open. I would never buy a grown heifer or a cow that was open, unless I was purchasing a pair.

Well sell the cull at the salebarn to Hormel for chili and go buy another welcome to the cattle biz.

I have to agree with Caustic on this one. There are plenty of good buys at a sale barn and some good deals. As far as buying the old cows that arent marked for their age thats where the experience comes in, and as far as buying a cow that wont breed look for the tall tale signs, very fat around the legs, head and neck area, in my eperience lots of the fat larger heifers wont breed.

Latest posts