Shouldn't I cull these cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

BARNSCOOP

Reaction score
I have to reg. Angus cows that are the overall best cows in my herd of eight. I bought them last June, they were bred back to the previous owners bull. After the first one calved I noticed her allowing a year old heifer nurse her....so I moved her. She let the 14 month old bull nurse her. Then the second one calved and she too will allow another calf to nurse her. So, now I have caught a third cow allowing others calves nurse her. The last cow did it last year and I told myself to cull her then but I didn't.
Don't I need to cull these gals? When would you do it, the oldest calf is 2 1/2 months old? And lastly should I sell them separate or together?

On the two Angus. I don't know because they were bred when I bought them in June ,just calved this year and calves are only two months old. The crossbred cow I had last year was a first time heifer and her calf turned out to be junky but I never knew the sire. The calf she had this year looks good so far and is out of my bull. I have noticed that the calf, of a much smaller balde cow who doesn't let anyone but her calf nurse and calved eight days later than the first Angus, is bigger and better looking.

BARNSCOOP":35fvn3ei said:
I have to reg. Angus cows that are the overall best cows in my herd of eight. I bought them last June, they were bred back to the previous owners bull. After the first one calved I noticed her allowing a year old heifer nurse her....so I moved her. She let the 14 month old bull nurse her. Then the second one calved and she too will allow another calf to nurse her.

Looks to me like you have discovered why they were sold in the first place.

So, now I have caught a third cow allowing others calves nurse her. The last cow did it last year and I told myself to cull her then but I didn't.
Don't I need to cull these gals? When would you do it, the oldest calf is 2 1/2 months old? And lastly should I sell them separate or together?

What you do with them is up to you, but I would sell all 3 of them. Whether I sold them together would depend on whether the calves were heifers or bulls, and the market in my particular area. Mothering(or a lack thereof) is a highly heritable trait.

I would be more prone to sell the suckers rather then the suckees.

dun":1okkc360 said:

There it is, just what I was going to say. Those big suckers are just to aggressive, they want to nurse cows they will do it. Cow won't stand for it at first but they will get her while she is drinking, eating and especially when her own calf tries to nurse. The cow just runs out of energy trying to get away from these big suckers, and the big suckers win in the end. Yup! for sure get rid of them.

The bull has a nose weaner in and since the cows are coming into heat he seems to be interested in breeding and not sucking, but of course he hasn't been able to anyway. The large heifer I have only seen twice in two months. The majority of the suckers are the calves all born within two months of each other.

I agree....I do believe this is why they were sold. I bought them from a client at my Automotive business. He has 95 head and probley knew there calves didn't grow out as well but maybe not why they didn't, as he has a full time job as well.

dun":1a0cqjpb said:
I agree with Dun, especially since they are bigger animals and may be so aggressive that the cows just let them do it rather than keep putting up a fight. Either separate them or get rid of them.

Latest posts