Shoulder problems

Help Support CattleToday:

WagaAgeyv

Reaction score
We just recently aquired 2 gelding horses. 1-Jack a black Paint/Walker & 2-Chief a Paint. The Paint is the one with the problem. Was hoping it would end up my horse because he has 2 speeds, Slow and Slower (or stop as Warpaint puts it). He is broke completely to do nothing but follow on trail rides and for kids and people that can't handle rough riding (back problems and such). Warpaint rode Chief home 2 miles leading Jack. Neither had been ridden in years and Jack is a handful until ridden out first 15 min. Then he is a cadilac. Well problem is Chief now has a pulled muscle in his shoulder. He doesn't favor it all the time but when spirited up by our Mare a Palamino/Walker. He then strains it again. He also has gotten to where if he sees Warpaint coming he favors it thinking he is gonna ride him (I think he is a little chicken now of long rides). Give me some advice to help out the shoulder and to stop the faux injury. I WANT TO RIDE! Help!!!!!!!! :???:

Did you have your vet check him? If he hadn't been ridden for years, then ponied another horse that pulled on him for a couple of miles may have aggravated an old problem or injury. Sometimes horse that will only walk slowly and are reluctant to trot are hurting. How old is he?

I'd have a vet evaluate him. Good luck.

all are 12, yes he said he did think it would take a while, maybe 6 months. He has always been with another horse so taking him away from another is not a good idea. He also said some he has checked can be ridden back to health where others are irreversible. So I am looking for any kind of help out there.

Feet ? Often times it might appear to be a shoulder when in fact its a hoof issue and the horse is trying to protect it , might be worth while to have a trusted farrier get a look at him , is he shod ?

yes he is shod. He doesn't give to it all the time but seems to feel it more when we ride him. The farrier has checked him often. One vet says ride it out another says wait a while. Sometime it bothers him somtime it doesn't I am thinking the trip home started it but that arthur has set in kind of like his rider. Some days arthur bothers me and some days it doesn't. Some think he is faking. but it does get more prevalant the longer we ride. I don't know. Some say let him work it out others say let him rest it out. But after two years of no riding and we didn't ride him for a month after, you'd think it would be authur. But who knows.

Not sure if you fixed your problems with the horse shoulder. Find a good chiro for horses. He could need an adjustment with his shoulder. Also have an good equine denist check out his teeth. If he has sharp teeth and need a float then this too can cause issue with walking, turning etc. Sounds as though he wasn't on a good equine program in which he has his hooves trimed every 4 to 6 weeks, teeth checked every year and adjustment when need. We adjust our horses before and after a show if needed to keep up a healthy status and a happy horse!

Latest posts