Should you have to Register to Post?

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
Gross! That was definately an overshare! Good lord, my gag reflex is still going overtime after reading that one!

(This was posted in response to the guy who described how to fry up placenta and make gravy out of the drippings)

We have a little over 300 registered users, not bad for the first three months! :clap:

When we hit 500 we are going to require registration for posting.

M Gravlee":b7moov2q said:
We have a little over 300 registered users, not bad for the first three months! :clap:

When we hit 500 we are going to require registration for posting.
Maybe we should all make an all out effort to each get 3 people to register. I can come up with at least that many. Everyone else try to do the same.

Campground Cattle":2tq9i3k0 said:
la4angus":2tq9i3k0 said:
One other reason that any posters should be registered.

totally agree

the only thing w/registering is that nothing will stop the "nuts" from registering as well as everyone else. you can register w/o giving any real information. you can make up all the information you give & i guess you could register w/more than one name if you wanted to & post under different names.

I think in most cases after a looney posts a few times the style or slant of the posts will pretty well tell you which looney it is. The moderators can pretty well manage the boards by deleting stuff that is totally out of line. I feel that Macon has shown his willingness to separate the wheat from the chaff and think he's done a pretty good job. He sort of allows things to run it's course, if it gets to far out of bounds he takes appropriate action.
Huzzah for Macon.

dun

txag":23rzktwk said:
Campground Cattle":23rzktwk said:
la4angus":23rzktwk said:
One other reason that any posters should be registered.

totally agree

the only thing w/registering is that nothing will stop the "nuts" from registering as well as everyone else. you can register w/o giving any real information. you can make up all the information you give & i guess you could register w/more than one name if you wanted to & post under different names.

I split this topic off from the Afterbirth topic and moved it to the Coffee Shop.

We would like some imput on this subject. If/when we require people to Register to be able to post we may also possibly require a valid email address. This would at least make the banned posters get a new email account to register under a new name. And it's not a problem to ban a person from the Boards even if they are not Registered. They would just get a "URL not found" message and it's just as easy to ban them from all 150+ sites hosted on our server including cattletoday.com

Seems to me the big plus of registration is that it makes people responsible for their posts. No hiding behind "Guest". The big negative is some people don't /won't/can't register for their own reasons and we lose their imput.

So...
Should we require people to Register to be able to post?
Should we require a valid email address to Register?
Should we just leave every thing as is and delete the offensive posts when we see them?

I will weigh in on the not register side, if it requires a valid email address.
Being in the networking biz, I know that no matter how hard a site tries to prevent it, the addresses will get in the hands of spammers.
Even when dealing with large legitimate vendors (Cisco, Dell, HP, etc) you can bet as soon as you enter your email address the spam rate will increase.
I have no issue against requiring proper identity.
My two centavos :cry:

I agree with rbell. I was registered in the past but could not remember sign in information , so I have not reregistered because of the fact that I get so much more junk email everytime I register on a site ( some of it just awful) I have no problem giving identity info. I just don't want all the trash coming into my email which in a way is making it into my home uninvited!

If you register, click on the box that says automatically log in at the login prompt, and you won't have to remember it. I don't get any junk from this site.

The internet allows people to access most sites in many different ways. If someone wants to shock a group on a particular forum bad enough they will find a way. It is the nature of the beast. I am really pleased with the management of this forum and the quality of the posts. Inappropriate posts are few and far between.

Keep up the good work Macon.

skip":345upnxp said:
The internet allows people to access most sites in many different ways. If someone wants to shock a group on a particular forum bad enough they will find a way. It is the nature of the beast. I am really pleased with the management of this forum and the quality of the posts. Inappropriate posts are few and far between.

i agree. the inappropriate posts don't happen very often & occasionally they are from registered posters.

as for the spam, i signed up for a cattletoday e-mail account for the sole purpose of registering for this board. i have received some spam at that account and have given it out to no one although i do have the option checked in my profile to allow other users to e-mail me at that account.

yahoo also has free e-mail. You can use it and just never bother checking it. I had a cattletoday e-mail account and only actaully posted that e-mail address a couple of times for folks to respond on specific topics. It took 4 months for it to get filled with junk. The address I use now for this board hasn't had a single spam/junk e-mail since I registered.
So I guess I opt for all of the above. And that's absolutley semi-final!

dun

txag":zfczeiq5 said:
skip":zfczeiq5 said:

i agree. the inappropriate posts don't happen very often & occasionally they are from registered posters.

as for the spam, i signed up for a cattletoday e-mail account for the sole purpose of registering for this board. i have received some spam at that account and have given it out to no one although i do have the option checked in my profile to allow other users to e-mail me at that account.

skip":2frbs566 said:

Amen

Craig-TX

Ah....whatever happened to the "Freedom of Speech" that is so famous on the ineternet. Most of you whine too much...if you don't like it, don't have to read it. I can't stand those type of posts either...the person shows no character and no dignity. Probably a street kid on the loose. I can't stand their horrid street talk either.

Anyways, most of you sound like part of the Ashcroft clan.

I enjoy being unknown. If I was a cattle buyer for I.B.P. it would not be proper to comment on what kind of feeder cattle I prefered. However this way I can say what I feel and none are the wiser. (I'm not a tyson employee or a feeder calf buyer). I will always sign my name and police my own posts. If it really is a problem then I will only watch the board and not comment.

Folks I am not trying to be honery here, it is just that if you require an email address, and then use a "special one you never check" why not just put in a fake one to start with?
I don't mind folks having my email address, in my business I have to put mine out there, but 300 spams a day after the filters at the network gateway remove twice that is a lot of wasted bandwidth and time.
In the end, if it is required to post, I will most likely just become a lurker unless or until some topic of enough importance to me arises to compel me to provide it so I can post.
Again no disrespect to any one, and especially not the nice folks who run this board

rbell":1m7ib86r said:
Folks I am not trying to be honery here, it is just that if you require an email address, and then use a "special one you never check" why not just put in a fake one to start with?

i'll answer this one since i mentioned setting one up especially for this site. i did initially just put in a fake one & then i had someone from these boards wanting to e-mail me. i didn't want to give out my regular e-mail so i set one up at cattletoday. i do check it occasionally but only maybe once a week or so.

Latest posts