Should she stay or should she go...?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
~

I finally got a decent photo of one of my heifers this morning, so ....

Should I keep this heifer as a replacement or sell her ?

DOB 5 1 07

102107019WindyJoyB.jpg

Granddaughter of Feltons Domino 774

if she was my heifer.id keep her.she is a nice looking calf.an she is growing good.an she shows her breeding.

bigbull338":1sgxt4zo said:
if she was my heifer.id keep her.she is a nice looking calf.an she is growing good.an she shows her breeding.
Man she has my vote I would love to have her :)

M.Sarria":6sbwkzg4 said:
bigbull338":6sbwkzg4 said:
Man she has my vote I would love to have her :)
If she belonged to me she would be a keeper. Can`t fault her pic. within reason.
blk mule

At this point and based on the photos she would be a keeper.
If her mother had a good udder, and the father had no problem with that, there should be no problem. My point is there are other things to consider other than just the conformation and looks of a young calf.
Nice looking calf.

great looking heifer, if she keeps growing true and straight to her breed she'll be a winner. Great to see someone from the north-east on the board. :lol: What part of Vermont?

I'm not impressed with her at the point that the photo was taken. She lacks depth, her flank could be better, and she has no butt. Of course, she was only about 6 months old in the photo, so she might develop a bit further. If she does, great. If not, I would ship her.

To me it depends on what your looking to do with her. If your trying to make a seedstock producing female to promote and sell bulls or females out of I think she belongs in the cull pen for sure. This is because that from this picture she appears to be pinched in her heart girth, she's a little weak behind her shoulders and very wastey fronted. She is very level hooks to pins and carries herself on a good set of feet and legs. But all in all I'd like to see her as a more soggy individual to be a brood cow in a seedstock herd

On the commercial end not really anything wrong with keeping her, there is a lot of potential in this female. Bred to the right bull you could make some nice growthy calves.

Sorry to be so wordy again.

I would keep her if you have the extra room (pasture or/and hay) or have another cow that is not as good as her to cull.... In other words, will she improve your herd?

What's her EPD's like? It would be nice to see them if you don't mind. Also do you know her birth weight and a close weaning weight? All factors to consider, that she could pass on.

Thanks,
Alan

Do you have her registered? Or is this a commerical calf out of a registered daddy? Is her sire an AI 774 son? Do you have a name?

I think she would do well raising feeder steers for you, but I don't think I'd keep any replacements out of her.

~

Thanks all for your comments.

We have had a summer of drought, not great grazing. Yet we did make some decent hay, but not enough to keep our usual amount of replacements. So we are really nitpicking the 10 candidates.

This heifer had a BW of 94 lbs
We wean Nov 3rd.
She is close to 510 lbs right now.

Her sire is
Sky 774 Hummer 319R ET P42596497

Her mom is a Reg Simmental.

I'm not a seedstock producer.
I sell calves mostly at weaning to others raising them for their own consumption or for online meat sales.
Also selling 3 in 1 packages right now to trim our numbers down to match our hay for the winter.

Not too many New Englanders on here, thats for sure.
I'm on the mighty Conneticut River in South Central Vermont in Springfield.

Hope I answered everyones questions.

I will be posting another heifer soon, and invite your comments on that one as well.

Thank you,

I'd like to see her mamma but I'd be willing to bet she is not going to improve on your herd.

My replacements have to be better than their mamma's and you can tell if the conformation and disposition is there before weaning.

First thing I noticed it the lack of muscling in the hind quarter. I'd cull her and allow a drought stricken pasture to catch up.

Latest posts