Should I??

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I was approached by two officers of my county cattleman's association at the annual dinner / meeting last night and they asked me if I would be interested in joining the board of directors of the association. Evidently somebody somewhere nominated me. I told them that I would think about it and meet with them in a couple weeks for more information on what the expectations are. Has anyone served on the board of their county association and if so is it a political PITA? If I can help someone or the association I am interested but if I have to be a politician I'm not sure I would want it.

I am president of our board after serving on the board for one year. Ours is not political yet but we have just been an association for a year and a half. Go for it.

I am on the board of my county chapter of the Kentucky Cattle Asso. It has not been any problem for me. It does take some time and I have missed one meeting in the last year. I enjoy doing it and think you should.

Being in a leadership roll is not that bad. It really depends on what kind of events you have. We have a pretty big rodeo once a year. It's a two night performance. 5000 in attendance each night. It'll suck the life out of you. Two 20 hour days preceded by a weeks worth of perparation is pretty taxing.

HOSS":3iexlwgw said:
I was approached by two officers of my county cattleman's association at the annual dinner / meeting last night and they asked me if I would be interested in joining the board of directors of the association. Evidently somebody somewhere nominated me. I told them that I would think about it and meet with them in a couple weeks for more information on what the expectations are. Has anyone served on the board of their county association and if so is it a political PITA? If I can help someone or the association I am interested but if I have to be a politician I'm not sure I would want it.

All I can say is if you do join make sure you are prepared to pick up the slack when what is delegated to others is either ignored or excused by circumstances.

If you are a type A personality (which I am pretty sure you are Hoss ) ,be prepared for what you are setting yourself up for as you will have no choice but correct what has been neglected. This may end up meaning sacrificing time that should be spent on things that you should have put first instead, like your family and/or your business .

If you are OK with that then I think you will find it very rewarding :tiphat:

hillsdown":9mcmsqfo said:
HOSS":9mcmsqfo said:

All I can say is if you do join make sure you are prepared to pick up the slack when what is delegated to others is either ignored or excused by circumstances.

If you are a type A personality (which I am pretty sure you are Hoss ) ,be prepared for what you are setting yourself up for as you will have no choice but correct what has been neglected. This may end up meaning sacrificing time that should be spent on things that you should have put first instead, like your family and/or your business .

If you are OK with that then I think you will find it very rewarding :tiphat:

I am definitely a type A personality. In my career I have had to take several personality identification tests and I am always an A with some slight leaning toward B type if plotted on a graph. I don't think this position will require a huge amount of time. It just seems that our association is kind of stuck in a rut.....have a dinner with guest speaker from a mineral or pharma company, hand out door prizes from local businesses, maybe have 2 field days per year to see a members operation. All worthy stuff but I would like to see us progress more in the genetic knowledge side. Ideally speakers that can explain EPD's in laymen's terms and can discuss genetic selection for herd improvement. I would also like to try and get the association to coordinate an A.I. class locally or a palpation class. I want our county producers using the best tools to improve the quality of cattle in the region and that will improve the local market rate as well.

Latest posts