Should I wait?

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
Genex is hosting an A.I. training session in my area this week, they usually do around this time of year every year. I was going to take it but then got to thinking-I won't be able to really utilize my A.I. skills much, at least for a few years when I get out of school, and get my own place and herd. I have a few animals at home with my grandparents now, but they are bred naturally because I am not around, I'm away at school. The place where I work also already has someone who does the breeding. So should i wait and take the class later when I know I will be able to use my skills? Or is it one of those things that you don't forget how to do? I just don't want to waste my money/time if I'm going to have to take the class again later.

LoveMoo, I would definetly wait, although you will always "remember" how to do it, you can get out of practice making it difficult to manipulate the gun thru the cervix. It would be different if you say bred several hundred times and then took a break for a couple years, then it would be easy to go back to, but you need to be able to utilize these skills right after you learn. Any chance your current employer would let you breed just some of the cows? 5% or so, or maybe some that are on the verge of problem breeders, maybe they've already been serviced a couple times or something?
Good Luck

LoveMoo11":p5gqvwbk said:
Genex is hosting an A.I. training session in my area this week, they usually do around this time of year every year. I was going to take it but then got to thinking-I won't be able to really utilize my A.I. skills much, at least for a few years when I get out of school, and get my own place and herd. I have a few animals at home with my grandparents now, but they are bred naturally because I am not around, I'm away at school. The place where I work also already has someone who does the breeding. So should i wait and take the class later when I know I will be able to use my skills? Or is it one of those things that you don't forget how to do? I just don't want to waste my money/time if I'm going to have to take the class again later.

I'd also say wait. It takes some experience in addition to the class to be successful with AI. If you're not going to be able to get that, IMO, you'd be better to wait a few years before taking the class.

You will learn a lot more then just how to AI in a good AI school. But, if you aren;t going to be inside cows for a while it would be better to wait. I had been doing it for about 15 years and took 5 years off. The first couple when I got started again were pretty darn tough.

dun":2dg6duqs said:
You will learn a lot more then just how to AI in a good AI school.

I'm going to take a little bit different approach to this than those that have posted. That being said, dun's statement above makes sense to me. Even if you are not going to AI soon and may have to take the class again, so be it. You may find out you don't want to do it and will hire it out, you may find out you love it and will hire yourself out. Just a couple of examples. Education is never wasted IMHO. If you have the time and resources available to do it, than do it.

I like small ranchers suggestion, is there anyway you can take the course or even get your employer to pay for half of it and then AI some of the herd. It is way cheaper using someone else's cattle and semen.. ;-)

If not I would wait ,it is something that once you have taken the course if you do not do it right away it is hard to get it back.

When I took it through Select Sires we were told we could return any year we wanted for free. Two of the guys in my class were yearly repeats from a local dairy. Other than that the dicision is yours. :lol2:

I waited. I don't regret that - I knew when it was time to learn and had the opportunity to do the course ahead of the next mating season.

But it depends on opportunity - if you can do it now, but may not have time to do more than a refresher later, that could push the decision. Can afford it now, but may be investing in a herd later. May or may not have opportunity arising to practise the skills if you get the training now - you know your situation. I did it 'shotgun wedding' style - a lot of reasons to do it all came together at once, with little alternative and a lot of incentive not to fail. Luckily, it worked out.
The course was run at a time of year that most farmers could run their farm and do the course as well - luckily it was only half an hour away, because it was full-on. Between the farm and the course my time was fully occupied from 4 am to 10 pm that week.

What is 'right after'? LIC runs those courses six months ahead of the mating season. Those training as LIC technicians accompany an experienced tech their first season - DIY-ers like myself just face the back end of their first cow six months after training. That six month break didn't appear to impact the conception rate at all.

Latest posts