Should I shut him up?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
My FIL, that is...

Last year, I bought his '06 Silverado off him when my Ford burned up in the driveway. He had bought an '08 and needed to unload the other one.

Now he's saying to me that he wants to trade, straight up, my '06 for his '08. Same truck, same trim, same stinking color, (his last four trucks have been the same color...) The difference is that he has a smaller engine. I have a 5.4 liter and he has a 4.8 litre. Both automatic tranny. Both V8.

Now, I don't haul a lot of stuff. When I need it, I need it. I ain't hauling twenty cows or anything. Just the odd round bails, normally three or four at a time, and the stock trailer with a calf or two or some donks in it. I certainly don't farm for a living... I normally drive the truck to work every day and back, to the feed store, grocery store, vets, all the normal stuff people do in small towns.

Should I do it? All things being equal, including the mileage. I have the window sticker off the '08 in front of me, since he left it in the glove compartment of the '06. Smaller engine, that's all. I have a feeling that if I offer to take him up on it, he's going to withdraw his offer. He wants to trade because he says the '06 is a better truck.

Give me an opinion.

The brand new ones are dirt cheap right now. Heck, I am thinking of buying one and parking it. Why would he want to switch to an older one? Just buy a new one.

Check under the floor mats and in the vents. There might be something very valuable left in it by mistake :D

backhoeboogie":3oe4zdko said:
The brand new ones are dirt cheap right now. Heck, I am thinking of buying one and parking it. Why would he want to switch to an older one? Just buy a new one.

Check under the floor mats and in the vents. There might be something very valuable left in it by mistake :D

The only thing he might have left in there by mistake are his cig butts and fast food wrappers. Now, if his GF's sons have been driving it, that's something else...

You are right. He trades every other year anyway, so why not just get a new one. That is why I think he's just running his head. Old phart. I'd take his just because it is newer and the body styles are different. I like the '08 better. He won't do it, though. Or I would be suprised if he did.

Lammie":2z31jhci said:
My FIL, that is...

Last year, I bought his '06 Silverado off him when my Ford burned up in the driveway. He had bought an '08 and needed to unload the other one.

Now he's saying to me that he wants to trade, straight up, my '06 for his '08. Same truck, same trim, same stinking color, (his last four trucks have been the same color...) The difference is that he has a smaller engine. I have a 5.4 liter and he has a 4.8 litre. Both automatic tranny. Both V8.

Now, I don't haul a lot of stuff. When I need it, I need it. I ain't hauling twenty cows or anything. Just the odd round bails, normally three or four at a time, and the stock trailer with a calf or two or some donks in it. I certainly don't farm for a living... I normally drive the truck to work every day and back, to the feed store, grocery store, vets, all the normal stuff people do in small towns.

Should I do it? All things being equal, including the mileage. I have the window sticker off the '08 in front of me, since he left it in the glove compartment of the '06. Smaller engine, that's all. I have a feeling that if I offer to take him up on it, he's going to withdraw his offer. He wants to trade because he says the '06 is a better truck.

Give me an opinion.
your's is a 5.3..........is the color resale red? id trade youll lose around 20 hp but should get better milage..

I think that if I did, he would back out of it. I don't think he's serious. It's that same old ugly beige that every truck he has ever had has been. Do they just have one color of truck in Oklahoma? :lol:

I told Steve to tell his dad I'd trade. He won't do it, though. I don't think Nora, his dad's GF, would let him. She says it is her truck. She's never had a pot to pee in. I like it when she calls the stuff she buys with his money her's.

Lammie":9xh6eazi said:
I think that if I did, he would back out of it. I don't think he's serious. It's that same old ugly beige that every truck he has ever had has been. Do they just have one color of truck in Oklahoma? :lol:
I told Steve to tell his dad I'd trade. He won't do it, though. I don't think Nora, his dad's GF, would let him. She says it is her truck. She's never had a pot to pee in. I like it when she calls the stuff she buys with his money her's.
he may not like washing em, thats about the best one not to show dirt. although im sick of seeing it

i would just keep the truck you have.an not even consider trading trucks.because im betting he will want some boot to trade.

Aw go on Lammie call his bluff. If he goes for it(the trade) you get a newer truck, if he doesn't then you have fodder for future family discussions. ( Not that I am trying to stir the pot or anything) Hee hee ;-)

bigbull338":cgjpvi3l said:
i would just keep the truck you have.an not even consider trading trucks.because im betting he will want some boot to trade.

My thoughts also...and if he trades, you're likely to never hear the end of it.

Alice

Doubt I would do the trade. His new truck has a smaller engine = less power, sluggish, less giddy-yup-n-git, probably sounds like it is wound up and ready to blow a gasket at highway speed. You better give it a roadtest before you swap.

alacattleman":1lqd915j said:
your's is a 5.3..........is the color resale red? id trade youll lose around 20 hp but should get better milage..

Be careful with that. Prices are so low we thought about trading in the 06 Dodge. The dealer rolled out a 2008 for $17,500 (after all the rebates) and were willing to throw in step bars. That 4700 mm V8 actually gets less mileage than our bigger 5400 mm Hemi V8. The hemi has 4 cylinders on and doesn't use the other 4 unless I need it. I usually am driving less than the speed limit and it is a regular cab (I hate the quad cabs) so I avg around 20.8 miles per gallon. The dropping down to ~14 city or 19 highway would cost me too much for me to make the trade.

I don't think my husband wants to do it. I mentioned it last night and he kinda just let it go. He's probably got a point. (Note I didn't say he was right, as this would violate the code of any good marriage. :D ) And my FIL probably would never let me forget it. And it probably is tore up. He is hard on stuff and he regularly makes trips to South Texas in it. I know this truck I got from him is in better shape now mechanically than it was when we got it. He drives the crud out of them.

Latest posts