Should I Mow the Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

TGCJ7

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm asking any dumb questions on here. I'm just getting started and really don't know.

I've got 5 cattle grazing on about 10 acres split up into two pastures. The pasture they'er in now is the smaller one (3acres) and I think they are ready to move to the bigger one at least until august or so. The Big pasture's grass is getting pretty tall, 3 feet or so. Should I mow it?

I really don't want to, because our tractor is broken down and I dont have the time or money to fix it until this fall. I do have a nice skid steer I use for my construction buisness, and was thinking about renting a mower to put on the front of that. Or I might be able to find a neigbor that would mow it cheaper than that. And I'm not sure I'd be able to find someone to bail it cheaper than I can buy the round bails I'll need for the winter.

If its not nessesary I'm not going to do it.

Thanks for your advice.
Tim
(I live in SW Ohio if that is of any help)

If it is shedding seeds then clip it, otherwise turn the cows in.

What does it consist of? If it is fescue I would agree with Dun, if timothy, orchard grass, clover or about any thing else and not too weedy I would let those cows mow it for me.

The last time I hooked up the mower was last year to cut some briars that had grown up in the field. I don't even plan on doing that again. Going to get me some goats to mow them for me.

As to mowing grass, the cows are all that I use.

The reason for recommending mowing if the grass is shedding seeds doesn;t matter what kind of grass it is. Enough grass seeds in the eye and you end up doctoring enough cows that the time mowing starts to look like a bargain.

dun":26lm3mok said:
The reason for recommending mowing if the grass is shedding seeds doesn;t matter what kind of grass it is. Enough grass seeds in the eye and you end up doctoring enough cows that the time mowing starts to look like a bargain.

I ran into this problem with some rank millet. It took over a month to turn the problem around and several bottles of LA200. It sucked.

TGCJ7":2si6damm said:
Forgive me if I'm asking any dumb questions on here. I'm just getting started and really don't know.

Not a dumb question. In fact, it is a very legitimate question.

I've got 5 cattle grazing on about 10 acres split up into two pastures. The pasture they'er in now is the smaller one (3acres) and I think they are ready to move to the bigger one at least until august or so. The Big pasture's grass is getting pretty tall, 3 feet or so. Should I mow it?

I would for 2 reasons. 1 - grass that high is usually producing seed, the seed tends to get into eyes and cause problems. 2 - Grass that has seeded out tends to become rank due to age, and cattle tend to not like it as well as younger, more tender actively growing forage. Mowing solves that problem, encourages the grass to start growing again, and the cattle eat it better.

Thanks for your advice.
Tim
(I live in SW Ohio if that is of any help)

If its Fescue someone might want to combine it for you if they are in the area. 7 acres is just really small, but if they were combining across the street maybe they'd run their machinery over.

dun":3uv4o5zy said:

I agree completely. However, when you have those self propelled lawnmowers around, manage your grass in the future and you won't have to mow. If I have a field that is getting too mature, I turn in the girls for a few days and let them work it down. Hence, no mowing.

I even turn them into my driveway every 2-3 weeks to let them take care of it. My goal is to never mow anything but the yard again. If I had my way, I wouldn't even mow it. But, the wife has threatened me about turning cows into the yard... :roll:

Latest posts