should I market him as a 4H project steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
well, I have a steer who I think will look impressive by fall time, and I'm wondering if I should post a few ads around to see if someone wants a 4H project steer.. in other words, could someone do something with this guy.. Super friendly, doesn't spook, halterbroke and rideable.

he's fullblood brother to the gelbvieh/shorthorn heifer in my other thread here

Also, the big question of price... in relation to sale barn prices what should I charge?

here he is at 5 weeks old

IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

Who knows what they want for club calf shows, but for breeding stock shows his tailhead is too prominent and the slope from hooks to pins a touch excessive. The hip angle may very well still change with age, but the tailhead will only become more prominent with age and as the muscle hardens up. Still a good young calf though.

4h is a considerably lesser sale than the market..round here anywyas we bout give em to em if they want..otherwise they lose money on the other end when theyre done

We've always paid at market price for a good show steer, and above market price for a great show steer.

Typically around here, 4-H calves were chosen on the basis that they didn't fit in with the rest of 'daddy's package of steers' and get cut out and fed well. I never did that, I always took one of the best. But trying to market high quality 4-H calves is a tough proposition. Kids learn pretty quick from their parents about 'buy low-sell high'. Once I was out of 4-H, I would pick about one steer a year to sell as a 4-H prospect. 600+ lbs at weaning, but the kids wanted to pay me 70 cents of the dollar and sell him in the end for $2.50/lb. Needless to say I never sold a 4-H prospect calf. :cowboy:

We started with commercial cattle; we paid $.10 over market. We picked through and got the best calves in the lot, they paid for the brand inspection.

If you just raise him like the rest and do no extra work with him, market would about right. If you have him halter broke or broke to tie, have spent extra time with him, and/or started on feed, I would add a little more on to the price.

He looks like he would make a decent fat steer, if you want to sell him as a 4-H project, he should work.

You may find a kid that needs a little financial help and can take off some of the price in trade for a little work on your place.

Aaron: I would not sell either if I was in your shoes, unless you were selling your culls or cripples, market is the least you should sell for. We always paid extra because we were getting first choice, prior to the steers shipping.

I wish our market was as nice as yalls. Around here your lucky to find a decent calf for close to market. Even the guys that sell at the sale barn will bust you if they catch a whiff of it being a show calf. A decent calf here will start at about $1500, and good calf between $3500 and $7000 and a great calf is going to run $9000+.

Cowboy 2.0":h4q7fp5v said:
I wish our market was as nice as yalls. Around here your lucky to find a decent calf for close to market. Even the guys that sell at the sale barn will bust you if they catch a whiff of it being a show calf. A decent calf here will start at about $1500, and good calf between $3500 and $7000 and a great calf is going to run $9000+.
Where are you located?

Cowboy 2.0":3ne9z9h5 said:

Sad but true. It isn't that Texas is so great. It is because the sellers jack up the price because many parents will pay it because they are doing it for their kid. You have to realize that many of the kids showing steers here do not live on farms or ranches. They are FFA members who live in subdivisions with parents who do not have an agricultural background. They keep their stock at the school Ag barn and the parents pay the bills.

For example. A friend was looking for a lamb for his daughter. He was told about a guy who was selling lambs for $200. My friend contacted a breeder about one. As soon as the breeder learned that it was going to be for our fair, the guy told my friend that he would love for the girl to show one of his lambs. He had one left and the price was $500.

Concerning the steer in question. Go ahead and advertise him as a potential show prospect. If someone thinks he will work, they will buy him. If not, you can always sell him as a freezer steer.

Good luck.

whatever background ya got..
teachin yer kids that 3-5-7000 dollars for an animal to show is wrong..plain and simple..

.regardless if yer getting gouged by some sorry ass rancher rippin off kids or stupid parents willing to pay..its WRONG!!

dieselbeef":254k4jzq said:
teachin yer kids that 3-5-7000 dollars for an animal to show is wrong..plain and simple..

.regardless if yer getting gouged by some sorry ass rancher rippin off kids or stupid parents willing to pay..its WRONG!!

I agree, don't forget that regardless of how much you paid for it, it's still just a steer and it will still end up in someone toilet eventually

In my opinion, there's a big difference between showing up with a steer and showing a steer.

Kingfisher":2v7aey0u said:
Cowboy 2.0":2v7aey0u said:
Where are you located?

About 60 miles south of Dallas.

Project Steer: Just that an educational project, you purchase commercial steer for market or just above (hopefully there is one of higher quality to give you an edge), feed quality commercial feed, halter break and groom. Take to county fair show and sell your animal for a profit. You hope that it does not become ill or injured where it either goes of feed or needs a vet since that will cut into or take all or more of your project. You keep your records of cost, daily gain, daily activities and turn in your record book.

Show/Project Steer: You plan on showing between 5-20 shows prior to your final show. You purchase animal from a breeder-seller of show (club calf) cattle. The price is what you are willing to spend. You are going to be putting in a ton of time and work with the animal, not to mention the cost of the shows: fuel, hotels, equipment, supplies, entries and such. Do you purchase an animal that is going to compete or stand in or near the bottom of it class every time. What it cost to show, which is a hobby, is a key reason people spend more on their animals.

How many have hobbies: Golf, Fishing, restoring old cars, Rodeo, Kids Club sports.
Do you have the least expensive tools, equipment, or horse, or do you have the best you can afford? It is the same in Jackpotting cattle. The problem for most that do not jackpot is that when these kids are done showing, bring their cattle to the county fair. Most the time the cattle are better looking so yes they do win, do they hang any better or produce a better end product, no not really.

But if you are in it for the project and the learning experience, winning or not winning should not be an issue, as long as you were successful with you project.

My kids started with the commercial animals, made enough money to buy better animals and did, we hauled them all around the state and had a good time, met some great people, made friends that are still good friends even though my boys are older and out of it know. We could have spent that money on other hobbies. My sons learned that the harder you work the better the results, any one can buy a great animal and ruin it, but if you buy a good animal work hard, take care of put in the extra time you will increase your chances of succeeding. Just like sports, school work or life the more you put in the more you get out of it. One decided he did not want to go to college and got a job, he is one of their fastest learning hardest working employees, the other is going to college pulling good grades. I contribute part of their success in real life to what they learned showing cattle.

I have seen to many kids that have a project steer that they did nothing with prior to the show, poured feed in the feeder if they remembered, halter broke it behind the tractor the week before the show, complain that the show steers win because they cost more and have hair. Maybe but the 2 hours a day of grooming and exercising, adjusting their feed thru out the project so they hit 12:00 the day they step into the ring did not hurt them either.

Cowboy 2.0":355g6rvo said:
I don't know what part of Texas you are from, but I have bought several calves at the sale barn that were competitive in their local shows. The secret to buying at a sale barn is to know what the market value is and how much premium you are willing to give for a calf. If someone is running (plugging) you, sell him the calf. Most order buyers will tell you that they never got hurt by the ones they didn't buy.

Sometimes, some of the order buying companies will let you look through their pens.

Keyword local show. We hauled nationwide. My local show was for getting rid of calves we didn't take to a major or brought back home from one. I had fun hauling calves across the country. 50 shows in a year was normal if not more. I had to be competitive at a national level, not a local level. I took care of my calves all the way through. I didn't rely on someone else to so it, but having over 10k in calves in the barn I wanted them to be the best they could.

dieselbeef":1u39coqg said:

Right or wrong, thats the way it is. If you want to be competitive, you will pay for it. In H.S., I never showed a steer that cost less than $3500. As with anything in this world, better quality is priced higher...maybe not accordingly, but higher. The steer that won our county show in 03 was an $8,000 steer. Take a wild guess at what the competitive steers at Fort Worth or Houston sold for as weaned calves. It does happen, but very rarely can a pasture calf compete with an ET calf thats bred for the show ring.

I went to the WHR shorthorn sale last month. The high selling heifer brought like $31,000. The words out of the man in front of me that purchased her said.. and I quote, "If a thirty thousand dollar calf doesn't win, then the judge picked the wrong one."

The guys that pay the 20-40,000 for a steer have the money and the accountants that know how to right it off.
The average for show good steers run between 2000 and 5000, lower end is 1500.
In many cases the calf you are buying has over a thousand miles in a trailer to get to where you are buying it, has been on feed, is halter broke and been handled, that all cost money.
Some calves start out at 1200 by the time it reaches the final owner it could be 25,000. Each time some one if making a profit, allot of the top steer sellers sale more calves than they have cows, they spend a ton of time on the road looking and finding cattle that fir the niche.
As long as people will pay the prices they get, they will be able to sell them. Right wrong or indifferent that is the way it is.
I still love it when a home bred calf beats the big dollar calf, and more time than not some of those high dollar calves are train wrecks, they just found a sucker with a lot of money and no idea what they are buying, with the thought the more you buy the better it must be.

wow, this place has been busy..

well, for the beef aspect of this steer, I'm thinking market value..., and then some extra for the work that I will have in him (about 50 cents an hour) would be nice... The reason I say a project is because it would be (in my opinion) a good start in 4H... I see people at the sale barn buying these wild SOB's that just came in off the range and haven't seen a human in 6 months, and the ones they did see usually had rattle paddles and yellow sticks that zap them.. Yesterday I had a friend over and my cows had never seen him, and this steer didn't even get up when my friend was standing next to him. As far as training to make him stand properly, etc, that will be up to the buyer, as I don't have THAT much spare time. In any case, I think he'll be some nice tender steak for someone