Should I keep her??

Help Support CattleToday:

rancherswife

Reaction score
My husband hates this heifer!!! I love her. Don't ask me why because I really can't tell you what it is about her I like. She has crappy horns, she's not the best put together and she is spoiled rotten. I just have a feeling about her. She's going on 2 and should have a calf in early May.
He wants to ship her and I am trying to convince him she should stay.
What do you guys think?

ourcows028_edited.jpg

rancherswife":1k8i6mry said:
She has crappy horns,
i dont know anything about horned cows. why are her horns "crappy"?

yes she's bred. Due in early may.

Her horns are not impressive for her age. She really isn't one of our better heifers but I just want to see her calf I guess.
She is bred to our Bull so I'm kinda excited to see what we get. My husband just doesn't like feeding her with the price of hay right now.
Imma gonna keep sweet talkin the hubby!! ;-)

Let's consider this problem in a calm and rational manner! :lol: :roll:

Is your entire herd comprised of Longhorns (crappy horned or not)? :oops:

Is the bull she is bred to a Longhorn, Shorthorn, or a NO horn?

Have you analyzed and determined the cost factors in keeping this - uh - a - hmmmm - creature insofar as feed, housing, care, wear and tear on your nerves and the rather fragile and somewhat unstable personal relationship tendencies this situation is creating between yourself and your husband?? Husbands are tenuous beings, and their psyche's are at times augured and in danger of becoming frazzled and fractured, thereby causing your personal relationships to be on tenter- hooks! I am sure that your help-meet is more precious to you than a crappy-horned splatter-faced albeit marvelous hay-burner - pregnant tho she may be! My advice to you is to give long and careful thought regarding the retention of this bovine individual and her adorable yet dubious offspring. Husbands long to be loved and cuddled more than a cow, and his patience and possibly jealous feelings could be near the breaking point! I presume that you would not want your bovine buddy to be named co-respondent in a divorce proceeding. I hear that California is real tough in those instances! :shock: Of course, the Stupid 9th Circuit Court of Appeals out there would be liable to do anything - perhaps even to the point of awarding you custody of the offspring and a healthy calf-support stipend to boot! :???:

Taken all-in-all, I think I would opt to ship the cow after she produces the calf to a marketable profit point - after de-horning her, of course so she will not damage the hides of her fellow livestock market-feedlot compadres.

Just my thoughts.

DOC HARRIS

Ranchrswife.

Since she's bred, I'd keep her till she calves, and then decide. With the genetics from your sire, she may have an exceptional offspring. She really don't trip my trigger, but I'm sure my wife would like her. We tend to have differences of opinion when it comes to our herd. :cboy:

My husban is correct I do like her, she is spotted and looks like she would fit in great at my house. I would also keep her and see what her calf is like. Do you have another picture fom the side? I would like to see her at a side view.

We had an ugly angus heifer, that my wife made me keep. To this day she is one of my top producers and always throws a great calf. Just food for thought...........

I copied and pasted her on my paint program and cut it down and the more I look at her the better I like her. Her horn isn't that bad. I would suggest, if she is tame enough, you cut her hair to edge of her head to give her more horn and maybe he will like her a little more. The coloring and the uplift of her horn is nice. I think maybe after her first calf she may take off with her horn. I don't think she a seller yet.

SimmAngus, That's what I was thinking. I agreee, if she's already bred, see what she does. I was up in Mineral Wells at a sale and a white barrel gutted short legged cow came through. No one was bidding. I didn't like her looks but she was 6 months bred, cheap, and looked to be about 4 to 5 years. I bid and took her. She calves every 11 months. I've sold two of her steers and put another in the freezer. Its about half embarrassing for anyone to see her, but she throws some good looking calves, pronto too.

Of course you'll get 26 different opinions out of 26 different people but I'd at least hold on to her until she has calves and see how it turns out. I don't know your hay situation but if you've managed to feed her up to this point I would go ahead and see her through. She does not have the best horns but that still doesn't mean that she can't produce a calf with better horns, it depends on the bull she's bred to and also her own genetics. I'm a Longhorn breeder so that's what I would do. The non-Longhorn folks are automatically going to tell you to sell her because they wouldn't have her in the first place. I won't try to do any marriage counseling for you-I'm sure you can handle that part yourself.

Thank you all for the different opinions :lol:

I WON!! But then I knew I would....I always do :p
He just has to try to be the boss.
She actually is registered to my Grandson, he's 8 and I'm just hoping her calf will be semi decent for him to get some experience showing next year. Plus I just like her. Or I feel sorry for her ugly butt :oops:
I'll see if I can take some other pics of her, if the damn wind quits blowing!!

I love the different opinions you all have on here. I realize there are alot of you who just don't like this breed, but I still respect your opinions and love seeing all the different breeds of cattle on this board.
Thanks again ;-)

Congratulations on your victory :cboy: !

I agree on keeping her. The calf is almost here and some ladies are just late bloomers. Good luck with her! Keep us updated on her.

Ryan

I admire your husband...he's a wise and devoted partner.
I suppose also that it get's pretty cold out on the desert at night. We keep Susie's pet herf heifer and I don't get to sleep in the barn.
Dave Mc