Should I get back in?

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a pasture that was a March-November lease. I considered doing this at one time, the one and done thing. $1500 lease, would handle at least 20 pair, maybe 25. Good water. No great facilities, but a decent divided catch pen. As far as I know, it's just leased for hay now, I could probably pick it back up. Should a guy run a cheap bull with them, hopefully to sell as 2nd stage bred in the fall?

There are several thing to make the one and done work. There is a annual high on kill cows. My area it is the second week of August. Figure out when that is in your area. Plan to sell on that time schedule. And do it! Buying the cows is where a lot of the profit is made. Time buying in the late winter when not as many people are buying. Just pay a touch over kill cow price. Remember the cow kill value is a lot of the income. Buy large frame cows. But not heavy fat cows. You won't know what she is bred to so only buy cows that should have a calf that sells well. Example I wont buy a Hereford cow unless she is dirt cheap or I am absolutely certain she is bred to a black bull. I have always kept the calves another 45 days after selling the cows. But the friend who first got me into this would empty the pasture on a single day. There are advantages and disadvantages either way.

I sold all my Cattle in The fall of 2019. A guy that lives about seven minutes from me has 20 acres of pasture he wants to lease to me for $1500 a year. It's fully fenced, two nice ponds, a corral and working facilities. I would also have to buy hay, how much is depending on how many cows I put there. It might hold 20 units because it has really good grass but it does have some hills so probably more like 10 to 15 max. I just can't see how I would make much of anything unless I started real slow but even then it would be a long road. I've just about talked myself out of it. Is there anyone that wants to talk me into it?

My advise is JUST SAY NO.. If you have escaped it no use going back chewing your cabbage twice.... The only reason I have cattle is tax purposes...and im getting pretty close to pulling the plug on those and stick to hogs and goats because they do actually provide income.

There are several thing to make the one and done work. There is a annual high on kill cows. My area it is the second week of August. Figure out when that is in your area. Plan to sell on that time schedule. And do it! Buying the cows is where a lot of the profit is made. Time buying in the late winter when not as many people are buying. Just pay a touch over kill cow price. Remember the cow kill value is a lot of the income. Buy large frame cows. But not heavy fat cows. You won't know what she is bred to so only buy cows that should have a calf that sells well. Example I wont buy a Hereford cow unless she is dirt cheap or I am absolutely certain she is bred to a black bull. I have always kept the calves another 45 days after selling the cows. But the friend who first got me into this would empty the pasture on a single day. There are advantages and disadvantages either way.
So are you buying heavy breds then, or would you recommend buying pairs?

Cattle numbers have a cycle they go through the more cattle in the cycle the less money cattle are worth. The lower number of cattle in the cycle the more they are worth. Lots of breeding cows and heifers go to slaughter like now in near future prices should rise. Key word though is should.
Yes, the US beef herd size has been trending down for 2 years now which "should" make for good prices. Imports are the wild card though.

I sold all my Cattle in The fall of 2019. A guy that lives about seven minutes from me has 20 acres of pasture he wants to lease to me for $1500 a year. It's fully fenced, two nice ponds, a corral and working facilities. I would also have to buy hay, how much is depending on how many cows I put there. It might hold 20 units because it has really good grass but it does have some hills so probably more like 10 to 15 max. I just can't see how I would make much of anything unless I started real slow but even then it would be a long road. I've just about talked myself out of it. Is there anyone that wants to talk me into it?
I've kicked myself in the butt on more than one occasion for not buying those pretty Herefords back then.

What part of Tennessee? There is an old dude on here from SC, that claims he can sit on his front porch and see pastures all the way over here in Northwest Ga, and can tell they can't graze a cow per acre. Maybe he can see that place over in Tennessee, if you aren't too far west! LOL But, seriously, if you can run 15 head, you'd need only clear $100 a head to pay the rent....or clear $100 per head on calves, if you went that route. So, if you enjoy fooling with cows, then go for it.

I would look at buying poor condition cull cows, timing the market for their lowest point in your area

Then, drop them in on that pasture with standing hay and new grass coming on and let them gain weight

Sell them when they grade better and never touch a calf

Only class of cattle to go up in cwt price is canner/cutter to utility or boner/breaker

20 acres with good grass, 2 lbs+ per day per head on dry cows, and an upgrade in price

Think 300 pounds on a cow that went from 30/cwt to 60/cwt look at the money on a cow with a 1200 pound frame purchased at 900 pounds and held for 150 days

I would look at buying poor condition cull cows, timing the market for their lowest point in your area

Then, drop them in on that pasture with standing hay and new grass coming on and let them gain weight

Sell them when they grade better and never touch a calf

Only class of cattle to go up in cwt price is canner/cutter to utility or boner/breaker

20 acres with good grass, 2 lbs+ per day per head on dry cows, and an upgrade in price

Think 300 pounds on a cow that went from 30/cwt to 60/cwt look at the money on a cow with a 1200 pound frame purchased at 900 pounds and held for 150 days
Theres an idea!

Welcome aboard you!
First post since 2014?

You have to love cattle, bulls, breeding....it has to come from your heart....not the money-profit end of things. Check your worse-case loss for two years...if your happiness and passion for cattle is worth more to you than the loss...by all means go for it. You should be able to cut losses to zero and maybe turn a profit on your third year..even on someone else's land...$1,500. is not that much (that's ~ winter hay costs), corral ready to go. I know some ranchers that put them out alone without checking on them or neglect responsible feeding. The the cattle love you and rely on you...needs are mutual...you're responsible for their welfare. I can tell you...it'll keep you out of trouble if you have too much idle time on your hands.
If you're asking the question to be talked out of it....I don't see the cattle love passion (giving back to society-feeding people), I'm seeing worried financials.
What would God think...seeing a nicely organized ranch with cattle eating healthy...or Bill Gates fake near-beef soy made in a chemical processing plant. The tie in your heart should be in the land and cattle, gets me closer to God. This post will probably offend and get deleted...I guess we can't mention God our Father. I will let it stand.

Not sure what part of Tennessee you`re in but I would be concerned about buying the cows to fill the pasture then the land gets sold and you have to sell the cows regardless of whether the market is up or down at that time. In my area if there`s a spot the size of a postage stamp available the developers will get it bought and put a house or several houses on it. It may not be for sale now but if someone offers enough it will get sold and you`re out.

Latest posts