Should I get back in?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I sold all my Cattle in The fall of 2019. A guy that lives about seven minutes from me has 20 acres of pasture he wants to lease to me for $1500 a year. It's fully fenced, two nice ponds, a corral and working facilities. I would also have to buy hay, how much is depending on how many cows I put there. It might hold 20 units because it has really good grass but it does have some hills so probably more like 10 to 15 max. I just can't see how I would make much of anything unless I started real slow but even then it would be a long road. I've just about talked myself out of it. Is there anyone that wants to talk me into it?

I sold all my Cattle in The fall of 2019. A guy that lives about seven minutes from me has 20 acres of pasture he wants to lease to me for $1500 a year. It's fully fenced, two nice ponds, a corral and working facilities. I would also have to buy hay, how much is depending on how many cows I put there. It might hold 20 units because it has really good grass but it does have some hills so probably more like 10 to 15 max. I just can't see how I would make much of anything unless I started real slow but even then it would be a long road. I've just about talked myself out of it. Is there anyone that wants to talk me into it?
Do it for love not money. Maintaining an ag exemption is about all keeping some folks in the business.

I sold all my Cattle in The fall of 2019. A guy that lives about seven minutes from me has 20 acres of pasture he wants to lease to me for $1500 a year....
I just can't see how I would make much of anything unless I started real slow but even then it would be a long road. I've just about talked myself out of it. Is there anyone that wants to talk me into it?
NO don't do it. The fact that you have to ask tells me your heart isn't in it.
And that will only lead to frustration. Find something that would give you more enjoyment.

I'd contact @sstterry , get the guy's name that runs the stockers for the better weather... try it and see if you are missing them enough to really want to get back into it. Doesn't sound like your heart is in 365 day cattle...

20 head on 20 acres wih ponds. That's a lot IMHO I would start with 12 and see how it goes IF you get back in. That would be a formula for Texas

I don't see how you could pencil in a profit with the info you provided. like others replied, do it as a hobby not as for profit adventure.

I am a long ways away and have no knowledge of your area. But at $1500 a year if it will run 12 cows and you can graze for 7 months out of the year that works out to $17.95 per cow per month. That part of things sure works. It is the other variables to be of concern. Hay cost and availability? Start up cow cost? Markets? etc etc
If I were doing it I would run the one and done cows on it. It would pencil a profit for them. With ony 12 cows the profit wont be enough for a week long trip to Cancun but it would be profit.

I like the one and done idea too.

My problem is, I almost always try and get more than one out of em. I HAVE to stop doing that. More often than not, it ends badly. I've also been 50/50 on bred young cows. The older cows almost always do the job.
They didnt get old by NOT doing their job....
If you can get the timing right for a slaughter appointment you could sell some hamburger with the cows in the best condition once the calf is gone.

Explain please
Cattle numbers have a cycle they go through the more cattle in the cycle the less money cattle are worth. The lower number of cattle in the cycle the more they are worth. Lots of breeding cows and heifers go to slaughter like now in near future prices should rise. Key word though is should.

If I were to get back into cows it would be a no stress situation. In other words I do not have to depend on the dumb things to feed my kids I would do it in a heart beat.

The cows would be 1/2 Brahma x 1/2 Red Angus, Bred back to Red Angus bull.

If I were to get back into cows it would be a no stress situation. In other words I do not have to depend on the dumb things to feed my kids I would do it in a heart beat.

The cows would be 1/2 Brahma x 1/2 Red Angus, Bred back to Red Angus bull.

Red Angus Brahma influenced mom x reg Brangus sire. Speckled white around neck and underneath😄

Attachments

• D07B8235-AAE4-493A-909D-7EF53DB841EF.jpeg
    D07B8235-AAE4-493A-909D-7EF53DB841EF.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts