Should i do this or this

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
I had been buying a few calves 325 lbs there was a good bit of money in it if you had 10 ..do you think i should buy about 4 calves in august or is it better to buy one or two calves and 1 or 2 3 in 1`s

im in the same boat due to no cash flo..it all depends on how much time ya got and if ya can afford to winter em til they breed ya some money

I'am going to be nosey because I plan on a few stockers when the drought is over to off set the cows I have sold. You said you could make a good bit of money with 10 -325 lb calves. My questions are, what quality calves do you buy, how long do you keep the calves and what weight do you grow them to , do you graze only or do you feed, how much profit do you expect after after expenses, I know these are a lot of personal questions but I am always looking for ways to improve my operation and learn from others.

I buy nice calves i dont pay no more then a 350 dollar calf i bought a nice calf that weighed 325 for 289 $..When i mean a good bit i mean for me im in school so the extra helps i like to make 125 and higher a calf after all expenses thats not alot for your work if you have 2 or 3 thats about 300 if you do good for 2 or 3 but if you have lets say 15 and make 150 per calf thats 2250$ not to bad to go out and feed and check on them and maybe wrangle a few up.. How did i get that?? If your wondering...15 calves at 325 a piece 15 x325 = 4875 I feed and graze mine so depends on how much u gonna feed them to get that sum but im gonna say 750$ to really put the weight on them i raise them to about 550 to 600 pounds that takes me about 4 months..So for calves 4875$
feed 750$ Say they weigh an average of 575 and after the sell takes there cut out it leaves you with 525 a calf

4875 plus 750 = 5625 in costs add or take a little 525 a calf x 15 =7875

7875 -5625 =2250 there you have it a profit of 2250 :D :D That might not be much for some but its ok for me while im this young

Dixieangus":1sc1cd7c said:
What did i say fix
I had been buying a few calves 325 lbs there was a good bit of money in it if you had 10 ..do you think i should buy about 4 calves in august or is it better to buy one or two calves and 1 or 2 3 in 1`s
Have you not ever heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

I buy nice calves i dont pay no more then a 350 dollar calf i bought a nice calf that weighed 325 for 289 $..When i mean a good bit i mean for me im in school so the extra helps i like to make 125 and higher a calf after all expenses thats not alot for your work if you have 2 or 3 thats about 300 if you do good for 2 or 3 but if you have lets say 15 and make 150 per calf thats 2250$ not to bad to go out and feed and check on them and maybe wrangle a few up.. How did i get that?? If your wondering...15 calves at 325 a piece 15 x325 = 4875 I feed and graze mine so depends on how much u gonna feed them to get that sum but im gonna say 750$ to really put the weight on them i raise them to about 550 to 600 pounds that takes me about 4 months..So for calves 4875$
feed 750$ Say they weigh an average of 575 and after the sell takes there cut out it leaves you with 525 a calf

4875 plus 750 = 5625 in costs add or take a little 525 a calf x 15 =7875

7875 -5625 =2250 there you have it a profit of 2250 :D :D That might not be much for some but its ok for me while im this young
Means you seem to be doing just fine. I'd not change a thing.

I think, If you know what your doing. Bred cows would be the most profitable. Little luck helps. :nod:

Depends on what your market is at the time. I normally don't buy calves, but I did last fall. I bought light 3 weights in whatever I could buy cheap. Heifers, bulls, or steers didn't matter, neither did color. I ended up with an .83 average in 3 weights! When I sold this spring, they averaged 530 pounds and brought 1.01. After hay, meds, vaccines, and feed, I cleared a little better than $100/hd in 120 days. I actually kept one herf x charolais heifer for a replacement. She only cost $165 plus feed. My advice is wait until August and do whatever makes the most sense at the time.

The caution on August buying is pneumonia. Calves are really susceptible in the heat (to "shipping fever") - especially those weight classes. I bought 20 lightweights because they were so doggone cheap and lost 3. At one point I was concerned with losing them all. Once I had Nuflour and Banamine, I was okay. The local vet told me, "Never buy anything from the sale barn" and left it at that. No help. An out of town vet got the me the meds I needed.

So if you plan on buying in July or August, you might want to have Nuflour and Banamine available before you bring them home.

dieselbeef":2xw9gnlg said:
i want some 350lb calfs for 285 $. how far is the drive
Dieselbeef you live in florida im in North Mississippi good little drive for calves but hey bring a semi with trailer and it may be worth it...

hehe...yeah i hear ya. thanks..got no semi and the fuel is still a deal killer for alot of deals id love to make..even w/in the state.
thanks tho...maybe we could ups or fedex em

Latest posts