Should I do something or not??

Help Support CattleToday:

Crazy Farmgirl

Reaction score
I have three cows (2 heifers & 1 7yr old cow) that calved the second week of Oct within days of each other. All was fine until last week I noticed the calf from the older cow was making the rounds nursing the other 2 cows, at first I thought nothing of it except that it was odd that being first time calvers they let this happen. Payed close attention and noticed that the older cow seemed to be going down in milk, calf tries to nurse but constantly switched teats and bunts the bag continuosly get discouraged and goes off to find one of the other "surrogate momma's". Brought the older cow through the chute: checked temp (normal), bag not hard,swollen or hot to touch, was able to milk very little from her but what I did get looked normal. Cows are all fed free choice quality hay with mineral blocks out along with range meal, her condition is good but she seems to have stopped producing milk...she may be on the short list to go!

Back to the calves..the three calves seem to be "sharing" the 2 heifers. I have seen all three nurse each at one time?? All the calves seem healthy and they also have access to a creep feeder where I keep 2nd cutting out all the time and they get grain in the evening. Wait it gets better...Saturday morning I go out to do chores and find that the one heifer is allowing 2 other bred heifers (18 mo old) nurse off her (at the same time)??? What the heck!! Never had this happen before!

Should I pull the 2 heifers and their calves out and give them a pen of their own? Pull all 3 cows and calves? 2 heifers and 3 calves? leave it alone and keep an eye on the calves? I'm concerned the heifers won't produce enough milk to keep 3 calves and 2 bred heifers happy??

Is it common for the older heifer who have been weaned since they were 8 mo old to suddenly go back to nusing a year later?? Should this be a warning flag for me..are they missing something??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions you all may have!

Sorry for rambling! :cboy:

Ship the older cow and bottle feed her calf. The older heifers that are sucking need to go on the same trailer. I've never seen a weaned animal that goes back to nursing stop doing it once she starts.

Latest posts