Should I cut my hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a 12 ac. field that's ready to cut. It has been very hot here this past week 105 to 107 temps. I hate to cut it and put the grass under a huge stress because they are not calling for any rain until a week from today.

I'd cut it, bale it, and haul it out of the field. I think your grass will suffer no more stress by cutting it than not cutting it. Probably less. And you'll get better hay, if it's ready to cut like you say.

celestina farm":ujdr1mdq said:
I have a 12 ac. field that's ready to cut. It has been very hot here this past week 105 to 107 temps. I hate to cut it and put the grass under a huge stress because they are not calling for any rain until a week from today.
get it baled while the weather is good.an get it hauled off the field.an then hope you get rain on it.

Sounds like perfect weather to me. What about the storm of your coast though? We've been watching that and don't know how its going to affect us. Got some more hay to put on the dirt but am a little leary. What's your weather guy saying about it?

Angus/Brangus":p2sniyk5 said:
Started cutting our today. The front wheel came off the tractor. Spindle broke off. Second time it's happened. Got a front end loader on your tractor? Might want to take it off before cutting or making a lot of sharp turns. Apparently it puts to much stress on the front spindles. Take it off or go reeeal slow.

Was it one of the Kubotas or the Massey Ferguson

hurleyjd":g0o7pi06 said:
Angus/Brangus":g0o7pi06 said:
Started cutting our today. The front wheel came off the tractor. Spindle broke off. Second time it's happened. Got a front end loader on your tractor? Might want to take it off before cutting or making a lot of sharp turns. Apparently it puts to much stress on the front spindles. Take it off or go reeeal slow.

Almost sounds like every 4010 that ever had a loader on it.

Jogeephus":35vhja3w said:
Sounds like perfect weather to me. What about the storm of your coast though? We've been watching that and don't know how its going to affect us. Got some more hay to put on the dirt but am a little leary. What's your weather guy saying about it?
They are calling for dry weather for the next five days. I think I will wait till Sunday afternoon to cut. [/list]

hurleyjd":14sayyvp said:
Angus/Brangus":14sayyvp said:

He got rid of the best tractor, the 76 model Massey. ;-)

celestina farm":181qempc said:

If you stay in this business very long you will learn you never miss an opportunity to make hay ever. There might not be a next cutting.

I cut this afternoon. Looks like it's going to be some very nice hay. When I got done The caretaker of the farm came up and told me that this will probably be the last year for that hayfield. The owners sold about 300 ac. and the field was part of it. So much for the worry of stressing the grass. I guess there is not enough land in the city I hate to see good farmland turned into wispering medows housing developmets or maybe shadey pines would be better. :(

SC is really growing. I own two piece of the land there and every time I go to check on them I'm lost due to all the developement. Also, the taxes on the land is getting to the point I may have to do something different myself. I hate it but quenching the governements thirst for money is getting harder to do.

I'm not sure if its an old Welch Proverb or wise of farmer but about 62 years ago I heard and remember thatits wise to "Make Hay While the Sun Shines."

Angus/Brangus":15da0hkb said:
hurleyjd":15da0hkb said:
Angus/Brangus":15da0hkb said:

It was a two-wheel drive Kubota with a 7 foot Kuhn cutter on the rear. When I came to a corner, I mashed down on the right brake to try a 90 degree turn which placed all that front-end loader weight on the left wheel, snapping the spindle. Gotta make less radical turns or just take the front-end loader

off. $350 to replace spindle, bearing and dust cover.

I have a 4610SU Ford that I broke spindles on this spring. I was moving and piling some brush that I had cleaned from a fence row. This is an older tractor. The new front spindle was $79.95. I changed it myself in about 30 minutes. On another subject, how are you liking the new Rebel baler you boughtAel&

Had a spare tractor and baled 61 1000 lb bales off 7 acres on Tuesday!!!! Temperature was 102 degrees but felt like 114. And I plugged up the baler with hay. Took me almost 2 hours to un-plug it using a Sawzall to cut out the hay. I thought it might be kinda like be nice. Now we have a tropical storm on its way in!! What next???

have a 4610SU Ford that I broke spindles on this spring. I was moving and piling some brush that I had cleaned from a fence row. This is an older tractor. The new front spindle was $79.95. I changed it myself in about 30 minutes. On another subject, how are you liking the new Rebel baler you bought. I am baling with a 5400 Rebel this year. I finally got every thing fixed on it and I am liking it pretty well. I finally found the biggest problem with it. The cam rollers for the pickup were completely gone, the only thing left on them were the inner race. I bought this baler from a dealer it was supposed to have been through thier shop and every thing repaired that needed it. I think if it did then it went through one door and out the other. Amazing how little some of the hay baler mechanics do not know about thier machines they have been to service schools and still or inept with what they are doing.

hurleyjd":yj1rn589 said:
Angus/Brangus":yj1rn589 said:
hurleyjd":yj1rn589 said:
Angus/Brangus":yj1rn589 said:

It was a two-wheel drive Kubota with a 7 foot Kuhn cutter on the rear. When I came to a corner, I mashed down on the right brake to try a 90 degree turn which placed all that front-end loader weight on the left wheel, snapping the spindle. Gotta make less radical turns or just take the front-end loader

off. $350 to replace spindle, bearing and dust cover.

I have a 4610SU Ford that I broke spindles on this spring. I was moving and piling some brush that I had cleaned from a fence row. This is an older tractor. The new front spindle was $79.95. I changed it myself in about 30 minutes. On another subject, how are you liking the new Rebel baler you boughtAel&

Had a spare tractor and baled 61 1000 lb bales off 7 acres on Tuesday!!!! Temperature was 102 degrees but felt like 114. And I plugged up the baler with hay. Took me almost 2 hours to un-plug it using a Sawzall to cut out the hay. I thought it might be kinda like be nice. Now we have a tropical storm on its way in!! What next???

have a 4610SU Ford that I broke spindles on this spring. I was moving and piling some brush that I had cleaned from a fence row. This is an older tractor. The new front spindle was $79.95. I changed it myself in about 30 minutes. On another subject, how are you liking the new Rebel baler you bought. I am baling with a 5400 Rebel this year. I finally got every thing fixed on it and I am liking it pretty well. I finally found the biggest problem with it. The cam rollers for the pickup were completely gone, the only thing left on them were the inner race. I bought this baler from a dealer it was supposed to have been through thier shop and every thing repaired that needed it. I think if it did then it went through one door and out the other. Amazing how little some of the hay baler mechanics do not know about thier machines they have been to service schools and still or inept with what they are doing.

If it's anything like around here you're paying $60 bucks and hour for high school kids that just graduated out of the ag shop. Most couldn't find their @ss with both hands and a hunting dog!

I used to take the bearing housings off my hipper to the local CNH dealer to have them press in new flat race ball bearings for me. Suckers were a TIGHT fit; usually had to blowtorch the outer race to get it out of the housing and I didn't have a press to install the new ones. I was seeming to have the same ones go out again and again and again... finally one day I took a housing over at lunch and picked it up at 1 pm and got it back on the hipper and worked 2 whole hours and it locked up big as Dallas. Went to the house and put a 4 foot pipe wrench on it and with a cheater pipe got it to turn a bit and puke all the balls out and the split inner race. Took it back off and another 23 mile trip to the dealer. Got a new set of bearings and wandered back with the kid to watch him put them in. Dummies were pressing the bearings into the bore of the housing by putting the press ram on the inner race! Dents the balls and cracks the races before it ever leaves the shop! Suddenly makes perfect sense why I was having so much trouble lately! I told him politely you can't press them in that way, you have to press into a bore by the outer race. Don't you have a cup? Kid gets p!ssed at me and says "You do it" so I looked for the press cups they didn't have, finally took and old race and piece of plate and used it to press them in, worked perfectly after that. Went and bought a piece of pipe and welded a plate on top to make my own press cup and I'd take it with me when I got bearings. Next kid (they'd only work there a few months until they got a better job; they only paid $6-8 dollars and hour and a better job wasn't that hard to find) didn't want to use the press cup I made, said that's the way they always did it. I told him he better read a book, cuz that's NOT how to do it. Finally got tired to trying to educate the hired help, bought a cheap press and started doing it myself...

And the dealers wonder why they're going broke... OL JR :)

Latest posts