Should I buy ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Neighbor is selling his calves. 2 bull calves eating hay wants to pull them off the mom. One herford and one black baldy for $750 for both. I am want to band them and sell them at about 600-650 pound steers. Is this price to much? Will herford steers be docked big ? Is it ok to pull calves off mom so quick ? Or I can get a 18 month old first time heifer that is pregnant about 7 months for the same money. Which is a better deal? Thanks included pics below

I'd stick with the steers though you will want to supplement them with a bit of grain at least at first if you want to get them to those weights by the end of summer. I hope you have a bit more grass than your neighbour.

Ken

We have 1,000 acre alfalfa farm , also oat hay, barley , and grass. Which would be better ? Thanks

Had calves delivered. Black baldy eats fine. Herford is still looking for mom . Hasn't eaten yet. Have them separated with all can eat grain grass alfalfa or oats and water. And other advice ?

Didn't give a whole lot of time for answers if you already knew what you were going to be doing. I think the calves would be an ok option, but what are your goals? Do you want to build a herd, or do you want to just raise some stockers? If these are your only 2, they will probably split them when they sell, and it will be hard to get top dollar for singles, and depending on location, the Hereford "might" get docked.

How does someone get 1000 acre alfalfa farm and have to ask a question like this ? just curious

Workinonit Farm":3ha0xmn2 said:
snoopdog":3ha0xmn2 said:
How does someone get 1000 acre alfalfa farm and have to ask a question like this ? just curious

Perhaps they've only ever grown crops and not cattle??
That I get , lord knows I'm ignorant about a lot of things , crops included. It just seemed sort of strange to me , and I certainly didn't mean that anyone shouldn't ask an honest question .

snoopdog":15lsgd5k said:
Workinonit Farm":15lsgd5k said:
snoopdog":15lsgd5k said:

Perhaps they've only ever grown crops and not cattle??
That I get , lord knows I'm ignorant about a lot of things , crops included. It just seemed sort of strange to me , and I certainly didn't mean that anyone shouldn't ask an honest question .

I understand, completely. ;)

Latest posts