Should I buy ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
A professional cow buyer I know is offering me heavy bred younger cows for $1,000 a head. I have included pics. What should I look for when buying cows? The catch is I have to buy 10 minimum.

They were pregnant checked. What is to old of a cow to buy ?

I have been buying some descent cow calf pairs for 950-1100$ of the market. There nothing special but at least I know they can get breed, have a live calf, and has a descent udder. I have never liked buying breed cows from the market you never know what your going to get.

That's a good point. I am not experienced enough to buy at a sale barn yet. We have known this guy for 50 years

Should I buy a bull or ai ? If I have about 10-15 cows ? I want weight and black. Thanks

Lrj505":2tik21ft said:
Should I buy a bull or ai ? If I have about 10-15 cows ? I want weight and black. Thanks

Do you have the time, facilities and know how to AI? Or is there someone very close who can do it or you can take them to?
May look into renting a bull. For starting out, presuming you have the pasture and fences, a mild natured bull is about as easy as it gets for breeding...

Seems like it might be a alright deal.
The ear tags are inconsistent. Is this a group he raised or a group he put together. Either way is ok. Just if he put them together you might to check the teeth. 3- 5 year olds. Not to bad deal.
I like the black with the long ears.

I vote for a bull

You will gain experience pretty quick with them, but at least they aren't heifers with calving issues. If you have to room to grow to 20 or so I'm with Fence I'd get a bull. Good luck with them.

Lrj505":nbhdd5x3 said:

I probably wouldn't if you have a decent farm around you. I usually let people borrow my herd sire for a little handy work.

It's hard to justify a herd sire with that few cattle unless you find a really good price. Even then I can't see it.

Lrj505":ulsfdy0a said:
A professional cow buyer I know is offering me heavy bred younger cows for $1,000 a head. I have included pics. What should I look for when buying cows? The catch is I have to buy 10 minimum.

My take....I'm not sure those are "younger cows" .... look to be more "middle aged" maybe 6-7. Guess it depends on local market, but around here I'd say $850 tops on the black cows...red cows maybe $675.... and he can keep anything else with horns at any price....especially that longhorn cross....no way is it worth $1000.

Lrj505":28fm2lbj said:

the highlighted part tells me all I need to know . He is a trader while he may be a good one he didnt pay a 1000 for them and you can bet he paid what they were worth posed by Lrj505

edited to add: If you have known him for a long time . Tell him what your looking for and he should buy for you with a small commission on each one not 300 to 400 profit like this deal.

M-5":2jco657b said:
Lrj505":2jco657b said:

the highlighted part tells me all I need to know . He is a trader while he may be a good one he didnt pay a 1000 for them and you can bet he paid what they were worth posed by Lrj505

edited to add: If you have known him for a long time . Tell him what your looking for and he should buy for you with a small commission on each one not 300 to 400 profit like this deal.

I agree they look like a put together group of heavies. But slaughter cows in good flesh are pushing .70 those are better than most in the kill pen and heavy bred. They've been hauled home where you can walk through em. I think it's fair enough. Now if I just paid someone to buy them and I had to pick em up. Maybe ten to twenty bucks.

M-5":3hh7p75l said:
Lrj505":3hh7p75l said:

I'm not sure why everyone is always jumping on cattle traders like you are. The guy is providing a service. Some people can't sit at every sale in the county day in, and day out. So this guy goes to a sale a day every week, picks up a couple cows here and there. Takes them to his place and and puts them in his pens. Feeds em, doctors them, and Ben has to sit on them long enough to get them sold. And you want him to do that for $40 a head? Wouldn't pay for his fuel, trailers, tires, pens, or his land. Guess everyone is expected to operate as a non profit :roll:

5S Cattle":29q32u2m said:
M-5":29q32u2m said:
Lrj505":29q32u2m said:

I'm not sure why everyone is always jumping on cattle traders like you are. The guy is providing a service. Some people can't sit at every sale in the county day in, and day out. So this guy goes to a sale a day every week, picks up a couple cows here and there. Takes them to his place and and puts them in his pens. Feeds em, doctors them, and Ben has to sit on them long enough to get them sold. And you want him to do that for $40 a head? Wouldn't pay for his fuel, trailers, tires, pens, or his land. Guess everyone is expected to operate as a non profit :roll:

Careful painting with such a broad brush there 5S...

bball":32gt7g85 said:
5S Cattle":32gt7g85 said:
M-5":32gt7g85 said:

Careful painting with such a broad brush there 5S...
I get more painted that way :pop:

5S Cattle":2ajbp0t5 said:
M-5":2ajbp0t5 said:
Lrj505":2ajbp0t5 said:

MOST ARE CROOKS (I got a paint brush too ). If i need a few cows and can not go to the barn I call a couple guys i know tell them what i want and they buy them . I pay per head for each one he buys . I don't need him to take them home and wash and work them. and there is nothing wrong with a guy buying a group and reselling . BUYER BEWARE . But if you bring you business out in public your gonna get opinions that everyone aint gonna like. If some ones wants an atta boy put it on facebook so you can get a well done from people that don't know know which end the manure comes from .

Latest posts