Should I buy or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Circle G

Reaction score
I found a rancher close to our place that has angus calves for sale. He said they have not been vaccinated because he never keeps them that long. He is selling them for about $300 each and they weigh about 300 pounds. I was thinking about buying some and keeping them until they get to about 600 or 700 pounds and selling them. I have 8 brangus cows right now and plenty of room for some more. I thought I might be able to make a few bucks and get a little practice at the auction.

What do y'all think about this? I am not sure why the guy would sell off his calves that young unless he just doesn't want to mess with them or doesn't have the acreage. I am a beginner at all this and just a little skeptical I guess.

Having not seen the calves I wouldn't want to advise you. But if they are decent, growthy calves, $300 for 300 pound calves is certainly under the market value. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of vaccinations. You can either give that to them as soon as you get them home or stop at a vet on the way home and get the shots you want.

IMO, it's good to be skeptical. :) It sounds like this MIGHT be a good opportunity for you. Are the calves weaned? We vaccinate our calves about two weeks before we wean them, then "boost" them the day we wean. If they're still on the cows, would he agree to let you do that?

Do you know what similar quality calves sell for at your sale barn? How about the heavier weight calves at the sale barn?

or you could be buyin a bunch of future pot bellied pigmys that wouldnt grow off for love ner money. what do his adult cattle look like? that 300.00 might be a slow to return.

Give me his phone # and let me look at them I will let you know if I think it is a good buy after looking at them but don't be suprised if you never here back from me because I will be on my way home with them

I have to wonder why someone would sell 300# calves. How old are they, if they have any sort of quality they must be 3 months or younger. Thats very young to wean, it can be done, but you'll really have to look after them very well to prevent stunted growth.

i know a lot of older farmers that get them to a certain size and then sell 300-400 pounds is usual. they may be 4 months or 8 months they really don't care it is size not age. look at the cows and see if they are good, fair, or poor quality and you can kind of judge how good they will be.
alot of older farmers don't vaccinate either because they aren't able or don't have the facilities ( i know some of you think they should be run out of the cattle business). but usually they don't have health problems because they don't trade cattle they just raise them.

I would be concerned as well.. I can't imagine anyone selling 300 lb. calves unless they are under weight and poor doers. They should still be nursing cows at that weight.

TheBullLady":31waxfrn said:
I would be concerned as well.. I can't imagine anyone selling 300 lb. calves unless they are under weight and poor doers. They should still be nursing cows at that weight.

There was a time I could show you a few pastures full of angus calves just like that when they were on grass only. Guy started out with normal cows and ten years later they all looked like the angus I remember in the 60's.

I know Cisco, TX. I would not buy them for this climate.

Stay sceptical-- but go look at them and the cows. Odds are I'd buy them. Lots of farmers sell calves at 300lb. So that doesn't bother me. Under pricing them does unless he just doesn't care to keep up with the market (and hasn't for the last 4 years).
Make sure you have a good high energy/protien feed for them for awhile. And that you have some antibiotics on hand just in case.

Not being vaccinated wouldn't bother me-- I think either way you have the same risk to your cows just by bringing in something new- try to keep them isolated for 4-6 wks just in case.

Latest posts