Shots

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I bought two cows from the stockyards. One cow calved Sunday and one Monday. When should I give them their shots and what should I give them? Thanks, Phil

Well we normally give shots at about five moths,we give a stand alone pink eye,8way with red water "important if you're stock drinks stagnant ponds" and black leg. We worm with a ivermectin pour on once they are branded and wormed again in the fall prior to shipping. With that said we also give our calves 3cc of bo-se selenium and 5cc of a oral probiotic paste. The bo-se really percks a dumpy calf up and the probiotic gets the guts working an eliminates allot of the milk scours you will get at times.

2 to 3 months old. Give them a 7 or 8way Clostridial and a MLV for IBR, BVD, PI3 and BRSV. Hit them again around weaning. These two are needed everywhere. Every area is a little different so you could talk to a local vet to know whats needed in your area.

Problem with us giving you advice is AREA. Some areas require different vaccinations.
I give BoSe (Selenium) and A&D to newborns & dip navals with iodine.
DO NOT vaccinate your calves with a MLV vaccine while nursing the cows after they cow is pregnant unless the product says it is safe to do that. Generally, you cannot vaccinate the calves with MLV unless the cows are vaccinated - which the cows should get a MLV - RIGHT NOW or basically 30 days prior to BREEDING.
I hit my cows with BoviShield 5VL5 at least 30 days prior to breeding. The calves get BS5L5 when they are about 3 months old and again when they are 4 months old, then again after weaning.
I also give a Clostrium 7way shot, and a pasturella shot to the calves during those workups.

Latest posts