shots

Help Support CattleToday:

9 ER

Reaction score
I've read a lot about what shots to give for different situations, but cant find any information on how to administer them.
Are there different methods for vitamins, penicillan, antibiotics? What I mean is how do you know if its supposed to go into the muscle, vein, under the skin, or in the infected area? Or if its supposed to go in the neck or hind quarter? If someone could explain this to me I would appreciate it.
Please excuse my ignorance. :dunce:

The label will give the dosage and method in SQ or IM
SQ- is under the shin
IM is in the muscle, Neck, not hind quarters
don't give over 10cc in one area, with higher dosages change locations or better yet give on the other side. All in the neck.

Thanks for the response everyone. I havent had to purchase any bottles, so I wasnt sure if there are detailed directions or not on them. I'm gonna make a list of the basic meds and supplies that I might need and start stocking up.

9 ER":3a3t6vx4 said:
Thanks for the response everyone. I havent had to purchase any bottles, so I wasnt sure if there are detailed directions or not on them. I'm gonna make a list of the basic meds and supplies that I might need and start stocking up.

After you make your list you may want to discuss it with your vet (depending on your operation) so you don't end up with several bottles of expired medications. I've found that, with a few exceptions, med use tends to run in cycles dependent on the weather and I'm not sure what the other factors are, but its fairly easy to end up with useless, expensive bottles of meds. I discovered a bottle of LA200 that had expired back in 2001 a while back. It was about 1/4-1/2 full. :(

Great link txag posted. If you need label information and don't have a bottle or insert, you can access almost all labels through Valley Vet. For example, here is a link to their page on antibiotics:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_product_gro ... b0d0204ae5

Choose a product, then scroll down and click on the link for Manufacturer/Label information that goes with that product.

Personally, I don't consider it 'ignorance' not to know how to do everything. I think it's great to see people like you that have an interest in learning the right way to do things. It benefits all of us. Thanks.

txag, couldnt get the link to come up. I'll try to go directly and see if it works.

Texan, I see ignorance as a lack of knowledge and when it comes to cattle, I'm ignorant...lol.
Thanks for the link. It tell you everything you need to know.

9 ER":1rrlzmqj said:
txag, couldnt get the link to come up. I'll try to go directly and see if it works.
That's one of the bad things about the Texas BQA site---it takes forever to load. They have all of it out on a CD. It's possible that your County Agent still has some of them.

Here's a link to Kentucky's site. Of course it's not as good as our's, but it does come up quickly and it is one of the better ones that I've seen:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/id/id140/id140.htm

I thought this answer from Bez a while back was very helpful:

Sub Q injections in the neck - 7 way. I use it all the time.

Fresh needle on a regular basis - keeps the point sharp and prevents dragging in hair and dirt. Also prevents passing certain little germs from one animal to another. These are the biggest causes of problems in my opinion.

When you stick the animal in the neck, do not "tent" the skin.

Smack the needle area a couple of times hard with the back of your hand - numbs the sight and prevents them from jumping around.

Point the needle directly towards the ground - holding it like you are about to stab something with a knife in your fist - run your hand out and into the side of the animals neck and stab downward - almost parallel to the neck surface. Needle goes in under the skin and does not enter the meat. Ram the vaccine home with your thumb - unless you are using a gun which I doubt. That's another story.

Needle length should not exceed one inch - prevents bending and breakage. Stainless steel only please - stronger needle - but can be brittle. Plenty long enough to do the job.

Wife timed me doing a few animals a couple of days ago - ran em in the chute - did not bother to put them individually into the squeeze - stacked em tight and walked down the line hitting them as fast as the girls could supply me with needles - averaged about 8 - 10 seconds per injection. No lumps and no problems.

Tenting sometimes causes you to prick the skin on the opposite side of the needle entry point and that not only causes additional irritation, but can cause difficulties when the needle partially enters that same piece of skin and the exit hole of the needle is blocked - I suspect this has happened to at least a few folks from time to time.

We never get lumps from needling when I use this method. Not ever.

Whenever you see an animal in the field with a lump and you are concerned - run it into a squeeze and take the largest bore needle you have on site - and you should always have them - and stick it into the site. Just the needle - no syringe attached. Grab the lump and squeeze the heck out of it with said needle still in place. If nothing comes out fine - we will deal with that in a minute - if something comes out - grab a scalpel - and slice it open - on the bottom side - so it can drain. Squeeze the heck out of it.

If it is solid - cut from top to bottom - straight down through the middle of this lump and remove the "jelly" you will likely find. If you are so inclined you can give it a stitch or two when you are done.

Be aware the animal will resist this treatment - so just get on with it.

In almost all cases you should disinfect the site, spray on some type of fly repellant and so on.

Turn it out and forget about it - they heal nicely if left alone.

But, like others have said - if it was my animal I would find something more important to worry about - especially if the animal did not seem to be in any distress. It is usually nothing worth getting wrapped around the axles about.

Did I miss anything fellow readers?

Regards,

Bez

Try using 1 inch needles for SQ shots and 1.5 inch needles for IM shots. Talk to your vet and find out about getting BQA Certified. It's a short program but well worth your time.

That poor calf got a raw deal getting navel ill and having to be my guinne pig. Those sub Q shots were difficult. That skin is tight. I guess I did it wrong because I tried to tent the skin. Finally got smart about it did it like Bez said in his post. For the 5 shots so far, she has probably been stuck 20 :( . Looks like a circus out there me trying to hold her down and give her shots. She sees me coming now and runs for momma. I hope I get better at it for future cattle sakes.

BTW What does BQA stand for? Beef Quality?

Latest posts